Charleston, SC restaurants

I actually lived there circa 2004-2008, but a lot has changed the few times I’ve been back — very much a Southern Disneyland now by comparison. I miss the city where I got mugged outside Dave’s Seafood at 3am.

In any case, we’re headed back for the first time in several years … so naturally: where to eat and drink? Any restaurants that you’ve noticed have especially good lists … or appropriate wine service if we wanted to BYOB a special bottle (I.e. won’t splash decant a wine with age)?

FIG is always the answer. read up on how to book it though because the good reservations fill up fast the day they open.

1 Like

I’ll stick by my recommendations in the linked thread, but I’ll offer that most Charleston restaurants offer reasonable corkage and terrific wine service. Also, most Charleston restaurants wine lists are well thought out, but very limited. Circa 1886 has a big list. I would start planning reservations ASAP. Chuck town is very busy right now. I know a few different group of folks that visited in the last couple of weeks and reservations were limited or unavailable at their preferred dining spots. If you have any specific questions, I’ll be glad to answer.

James

Went a month ago. Yes, FIG is the bomb. Lewis Barbeque is also very special.

1 Like

FIG always a go to for us as well.

Ordinary also excellent for more focused seafood.

Have enjoyed drinks/bar snacks at Zero but haven’t been for their tasting menu, which looks interesting albeit $$$. Nice list though last time I was there a couple years ago.

Want to try Le Farfalle - was planning to visit last year but didn’t end up going.

Second Leon’s for lunch or casual dinner. I’m partial to Butcher/Bee for brunch/lunch. For me, Graft is worth checking out if you’ve got a little time - always seem to have some interesting selections when I’ve been and something BTG worth sipping on while you hang out a bit and listen to some well curated music selections.

Charleston Grill, 167 raw, Leon’s, FIG, Fast and French.

Obstinate Daughter on Sullivan’s Island.

Fify

All good recs here.
Depending on length of visit, as a local, I’d do FIG, Lewis, Grocery, Obstinate Daughter, Ordinary, maybe Leon’s, Edmunds Oast.
We have a soft spot for Circa. Chef Marc is a wine guy, the location is spectacular, and when he is “on” the meal is dynamite.

1 Like

any best bets for OUTDOOR eating (ideally for 6?)
thanks

Lewis for sure. Also Rodney Scott.
I think Edmunds Oast also has an outdoor area.

Thanks Scott,

looks like Patio at Zero Garage an option too- is that a worth while menu?

Have not been, but I get constant emails from them champagne.gif

(Same group as Wild Common)
I’ve heard good things.

Chez Nous has outdoor seating available for 6. Circa 1886 still had a rather large outdoor space available as of Easter weekend. Leon’s has outdoor seating available behind the main restaurant. During the pandemic, Husk was utilizing the outdoor space between the main house and the carriage house for outdoor dining. There are a couple of outdoor tables on the second floor at Husk as well. As Scott mentioned, Lewis, Rodney Scott and Edmunds Oast have outdoor seating. The Boathouse at Isle of Palms has covered outdoor seating. Yes, Zero George has outdoor seating. We went in February and enjoyed the tasting menu. It was expensive. I think that 82 Queen has outdoor seating.

82 does.
While not even close to the best meal in town any more, the she crab soup is still great.
Fleet Landing also has outside seating but it will be about a million degrees on that pier in summer.
The Shem Creek restaurants in Mt P all have outdoor seating. Vickery’s was decent the last time we visited.

Yes, we dined at 82 Queen for lunch back in February and I’ll gladly confirm that the she crab soup is still amazing. It’s deceiving from the street, but the 82 Queen space is massive between the bar entry to the dining rooms to the outdoor areas.

Yes, plenty of outdoor dining at Shem’s Creek. We enjoyed lunch at Vickery’s last September on the patio. The fried oyster caesar salad is always a nice option. There’s a plethora of outdoor dining options from Isle of Palms to Folly Beach and all points in between. Go to Bowens Island for shrimp and grits, BYOB if you ask nicely and tip accordingly.

Alright gents, I’ve got Raw 167, Leons, Fast and French, Husk, Circa 1886 lined up. Any suggestions for another breakfast spot near hotel emeline, or a saturday lunch spot worth going to, that we can actually get into, for Saturday May 8 at 12:15ish? Have to be at Liberty Square at 2:00.

Zero George dinner better than Husk . . . Circa 1886 awesome.

Another “meh” on Husk in my humble. Been awhile but Toast All Day on Meeting St. is a worthy breakfast spot near your hotel.

Concur after dinner there a couple nights ago.

Not in Charleston proper but we had a nice dinner at the Royal Tern on St. John’s.

We drove up from Kiawah and it’s about 20 mins from either the city center or where we stayed.

Excellent service. Oysters were fresh. We got beauford (local) and some from the northeast. Beauford won the day. The entrees(scallops and swordfish) were really good with balanced seasoning and sides.

The wine list looks solid but we were driving so kept it light with a heavy draft beer(wicked weed pernicious).