At last- Popeyes after a year

There will be a few here who will always doubt my palate after I admit that I love Popeyes fried chicken. But ever since I lived in New Orleans, I have had a thing about it. The spicy has a bit of a kick but is not particularly spicy. And when it has just emerged from the hot oil and I take my first bite, shattering the crisp topping, the hot oil burns my tongue but the flavors, the flavors are glorious.

It has been a year, and the Popeyes in the truck stop on the freeway closed. This new one in the small Staples mall is better and a lot cleaner, but the chicken is everything I remember. I waited for five minutes for the new batch to emerge from the frier. Yes, thank you, God.

1 Like

Wash it down with your favorite sparkling. Ultramarine and fried chicken is my favorite pairing.

The stuff freezes well. Re-heat by placing in a skillet over medium fire.

I doubt anyone who DOESN’T love Popeye’s. Wtf.

1 Like

“Popeyes is TOO good”
Chris Rock

Agree—I love Popeyes

1 Like

+1 love for Popeye’s.

Everyone I know likes their chicken, jeez, nothing to be ashamed of. Even with all the fancy upscale burger joints I still occasionally enjoy a good old fashioned Whooper.

The new fish sandwich is good too. I like the chicken sandwich but I keep going back to spicy tenders.

1 Like

Just picked up some the other day. I still have two pieces in my fridge. I made my own mashed potatoes. Yum.

F43C193D-2898-4C1A-AB65-4F6C8F37111F.jpeg
great minds think alike. Not Popeye’s but The Chicken Box, half hour from where I live, went Tuesday for the first time since COVID. Best chicken I’ve had . . .

The key to enhancing Popeyes chicken is the Cajun sparkle powder, which is not always available.

Who ever has left over fried chicken?

Popeyes was a client in the ‘80’s and ‘90s. Al Copeland was a piece of work. And the chicken is great

I actually like their red beans and rice even more.

I am bummed that they dropped the dirty rice side.

1 Like

Look for Krispy Krunchy Chicken too. I loving call it gas station chicken because the location is in the Shell gas station down the road. I have a Popeyes just down the road and KKC is by far better. If you like fresh dredged Cajun chicken and the all the fixings… this is great!!

https://krispykrunchy.com/about/

Love Popeyes too, but I bought 6 chicken sandwiches to go last week and they were a shadow of their former selves. Seemed like they were small(er) and had been in the bag too long ahead of time. Oh well I’ll try again, but maybe just not 6.

Speaking of dirty rice Isaac Toups dirty rice is an absolute bomb for those so inclined

I’ve had Popeyes twice in the last 10 years. Tasted great both times. And both times it caused intense diarrhea and hours of stomach ache. Never again.

My only complaint about Popeyes is that there is a branch within walking distance.

2 Likes

I used to, but they have changed it. Not as good anymore. My wife and I stop at Popeye’s when we do road trips. We had it at multiple places in May (1500 mile trip over three days of driving), and it was not nearly as flavorful at any of the three separate stops. Something is amiss.

I’ve had Popeyes twice in the last 10 years. Tasted great both times. And both times it caused intense diarrhea and hours of stomach ache. Never again.

Probably the very high fat content. When I was training in surgery in New Orleans, we asked patients if they could eat at Popeyes as a screening for gallbladder disease. [wow.gif]

1 Like