ISO Good Cheese & Pizza in Oregon

Good friends moved to Hood River. They are struggling to find fine cheese and pizza in greater Portland. Reco’s appreciated.

Well, don’t know stores but Tillamook is now putting out vintage cheddars that are excellent. I had the 2011 and 2015 or 16.

I’ll let the master himself give the cheese advice: Update from Steve Jones of Cheese Bar - Portland Food and Drink

For Pizza, both Otto (Sandy Blvd) and Ken’s Artisan Pizza make great pies. They’d be my first choices; both are pretty thin crusts. For a thicker crust, we hit our local spot, East Glisan Pizza, which is pretty good and has a great happy hour.

Funny, because someone just voted Portland the best pizza city in America: Two National Experts Declare Portland the Best Pizza City in America

I won’t argue that, but there are some really good places. Ken’s Artisan Pizza, Apizza Scholls, Tastebud, Nostrana (more than pizza), and Lovely’s Fifty Fifty would be at the top of my list. There are a couple of others that are supposed to be excellent, but I haven’t tried. If they live in Hood River, try Double Mountain Brewery…I only had pizza there once, but it was really good.

As far as stores for cheese in Portland, try Cowbell, Providore, and the original Elephant’s on NW 22nd. Most Zupan’s and New Seasons stores have pretty good cheese selections, too. I don’t know Hood River that well, but the last time I was in Boda’s Kitchen they had a smaller selection of good cheeses as well as good sandwiches for lunch.

Also, they should drive up to Trout Lake and visit Cascade Creamery. At least used to be a very fun visit, and very fine cheeses. And a nice drive from Hood River, too.

Can’t believe I forgot Lovely’s Fifty Fifty, and Scholls. They are a bit out of the way for us, but good food.

One more thing – Lake Taco in Hood River makes (made?) the best burrito I’ve found in Oregon. They should definitely check it out.

Are there really good fiends out there ?

Yes, if Grimm is to be believed…but maybe not everything you see on TV is the truth.