Praise for smoked haddock

I can’t think of a food with such a divergence between odors when cooking (I only cook it when the weather let’s me open all the windows) and eating. Love this stuff. Get mine from Stonnington Seafood, highly recommended. Not something you want to serve a 15 year old Volnay with. But it goes great with Riesling. Recipe below was served with the 2005 JJ Prum Graacher H spatlese which was stunning.

Lots of recipes on the internet (Cullen Skink is my fav) but here’s a very simple prep:
-Cook 1 lb smoked haddock in 1 C milk slowly for 10 min, season with ground pepper
-Remove haddock and remove skin
-Stir in 2 tbsp creme fraiche and 1 tbsp butter
-Return the fish and segment
-1 tbsp chopped chives
-Serve over boiled potatoes
[cheers.gif]

Love haddock. Do you ever make Kedgeree?

Yes! There’s probably a zillion different versions out there.

1 Like

Its key component of killer fish cakes per Gordon Ramsay recipe - salmon, smoked haddock, lemon zest parsley herbs potato olive oil.

As a kid we often had smoked haddock for high tea on Saturdays. Simply poached in milk and water. Dad always did the high tea. Other times we’d have kippers, or grilled roes on toast.

Have you tried the kippers?

I would have never thought of it with tea, but that’s an example of what’s so great about local/regional cuisine. Your post made me think of a time when I ordered eggs and finnan haddie for breakfast when visiting the UK with three co-workers. It was quite aromatic and we were all hungover, and I’m sure they had never had anything like that, and I felt sort of sorry for doing that to them at the breakfast table.