Oneida weird defects and the replacement policy:

In June we purchased a 12 place flatware set from Oneida. I started to notice that rust spots were forming on the knives.

Called Customer Service and this is where things got strange.

Apparently they have noticed this is a problem caused by the heat in the drying cycle. Their recommendation is as follows: either hand wash the knives or if I have to use the dishwasher, take out the knives before they get to the hot drying cycle. They recognize it is a defect, and BTW, not just limited to the set we bought.

I put down the phone astonished. So they are going to replace the knives and every time they rust again, replace them again.
As I said, kind of bizarre.

May they stay away from the aviation business.

We have had a similar problem with our fairly recently purchased Oneida set. And somehow we have lost 6 small spoons. Wonder if they can explain that one ???

Even more strangely, it is not a new issue. I have a large set that is now more than 20 years old with knives that rust. It is only the knife blades that do so - not the handles nor any other pieces. There must be a reason that they have to use a different alloy on the blades that is less resistant to rusting.

I’ve heard that the spoons will stick to your skin as if you were magnetic after you’ve had the Covid vaccine.

Just checked the web site which says that the flatware is dishwasher safe.

Bruce, did you subject them to multiple hot drying cycles? There is a cumulative effect on small Oneida flatware that is not visible initially, but when this abuse continues, there is a threshold effect that is dramatic and permanent. The small flatware can actually sublimate in the dishwasher! This could be the explanation in your case.
[dontknow.gif]

Probably in the sock drawer.

Well done !!

Update: they offered a full set replacement which I declined. Ended up getting a refund. Hopefully they review the manufacturing process or at the very least, take out the dishwasher safe from the website. I still think offeringband then defending a flawed product is bizarre.

Seems like a metallurgical issue though ought to be easy to fix via alloy selection or processing.