Alternate gravlax technique - has anyone done it this way?

I am making a slab of home cured gravlax and after setting up a pork belly to cure last week in a vacuum sealed bag, I decided to try the same with gravlax. I mixed up a Kosher sale, lime zest and brown sugar cure, rinsed and dried the salmon, sprinkled with tequila as a curiosity, rubbed n with the cure, and sealed it in a vacuum bag. I them put the bag in the refrigerator. It’s much easier, takes up less space, very easy to turn over, and I can easily weigh the whole thing down - in this case with the pork belly that is still curing. The brine can’t leach out like it does when I wrap it in plastic wrap. Has anyone else done it this way?

Interesting, I have not. I was always told to put holes in the plastic to allow the liquids to drain out! Very curious!

I pack mine in equal parts salt and sugar and add some white pepper. I put a ton of fresh dill below and on top. It macerates on my counter for 6-8 hours and then the fridge for another day at least. When I pull it out I rinse and wipe dry. I want the water to come out so the texture is right. I did realize once that if the fish is super lean, then it isn’t as good. I love wild sockeye but need something a little fattier for gravlax.

I slice and then can freeze in a liquors. It keeps really well.

Bottom line was that this was much easier and the flavor was fine, but the flesh was less “dense” and harder to slice. There was plenty of weight on top so that was not it, but not draining the brine might have been the cause. OTOH, it could have been the fish itself rather than the technique. I will try it one more time before reverting or possibly draining and re-salting half way through.