Wine with flourless chocolate cake - should I fuggetaboutit?

Any successful pairings?

Dessert wines, but not your best. Chocolate dulls subtle wines.

Port and chocolate typically…

1 Like

La Fleur?

A big Shiraz? Would not go too fancy on port, want it still vigorous especially if it’s served with some sort of berries or fruit coulis.
I’d avoid dessert wines (eg sauternes). MAYBE something like Rutherglen Muscat

I see what you did there ! [whistle.gif]

Muscat is a great suggestion.

I should have been more specific. By “not your best” I meant to exclude Rieslings, Sauternes, old Ports, whether tawny or vintage, and Madeira.

I’ve never enjoyed a dry wine with any chocolate, but others disagree strenuously.

VSOP or XO level Cognac.

1 Like

Beer. Stout, Porter, Schwarzbier, Czech Black Lager

Strenuously object? Reminds me of that line in A Few Good Men.

Some Aussie Shiraz bend the definition of dry I think in terms of perception (as opposed to Chemistry), but I get what you are saying.

SA Muscat will kill it if there’s any caramel involved. Otherwise young port.

Bourbon or Scotch, according to preference. Those are not wines, of course.

You just incited me to chomp on some 70% Valrhona and sip AE Dor Napoleon cognac… wowsah.

Visciola, Ridge Essence, late bottled vintage port have all worked well for me. We make that dessert several times a year since my wife eats no gluten. Vintage port deserves a different pairing.

Maury or Bracquetto d’Acqui (sp?)

I recently did this with Maury and it improved the Maury considerably. Not sure it improved the cake any.

Tawny Port. I had a bottle of Prosek (Malvasia Dubrovnica in a ripasso style)from Croatia that would be perfect also. More intense apricot like Tokai from Hungary.

My go to would be Quady Elysium Black Muscat. You can also pair with Quady Red Electra for a low alcohol version of the Elysium. Both go great with chocolate/raspberry deserts.

I’ve had some good experiences with Banyuls alongside dark chocolate and dark chocolate-based desserts. I could see something like a Muscat working well too, although I haven’t tried it myself.

I have a 10 year barrel aged dessert sake from Paul that would be magic.

A vintage Banyuls Grand Cru