Tell me about racks of lamb

This may be a dumb question, but here goes:

All the racks of lamb I see in our local markets seem rather small with not much meat, usually maybe no more than 1.5” in diameter. I see pics on line where they seem much bigger. If I go to a ‘real’ meat market is there a name for what I’m looking for beside ‘large’? Do any of the SoCal chain markets sell larger ones? Does this have to do with the breed or the age of the lamb?

I suspect what you’re seeing in the market is from New Zealand and what you’re seeing online is domestic.

Depends if you want lamb racks or mutton…

There are some breeds that will give you a somewhat larger rack/loin (Dorset), but in the end they’re all still young animals. Get two if you require more or find a good butcher and see what she/he/they has access to.

In my experience domestic lamb is always larger. It is harder to find and more expensive than the Aussie/NZ stuff. Dartagnan sells it if you want to have it shipped.

B.

In So Cal/Los Angeles: gelsons sells American lamb. Expensive but frequently on sale. Ralphs also has American lamb

Anyone want to comment on comparing these gourmet ones with the Costco racks of lamb? I’m asking because I’ve always been satisfied with the Costco ones, but haven’t ventured into these that you all list. I’m a little trepidatious to consider replacing something that satisfies my taste. Doing that with beef about 15 years ago has cost me a fortune and ruined me from eating it away from home for the most part.

1 Like

All I can say in response to this is that Flannery’s rack of lamb is f’ing amazing – among my favorite things he offers. It’s not always available, but when it is it’s always an easy purchase for me. And actually cheaper than my local grocery store’s (Central Market) high-end racks.

A little reference here on lamb carcass size:

http://straussbrands.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Strauss-Brands-Lamb-Cuts.pdf

1 Like

best I’ve ever had is Te Mani lamb from www.kaigourmet.com. Amazing.

Very helpful. Assuming an equal number of ribs…… American racks are more than twice the weight of New Zealand.

One thing though is I used to think domestic lamb was more flavorful. But it seems domestic lamb is leaning more toward mild and to me bland flavor.

My understanding is most non-US lamb is grass-fed and most US lamb is corn/grain fed. And that’s what drives the flavour profiles of each. Could be wrong though.

1 Like