Salt and other grinders

(Apologies if I’ve missed a specific thread)

Looking for recommendations for salt grinders. Primarily for Maldon salt, but likely a second one for more generic sea salt larger harder crystals). I have a Trudeau but it’s not great , the base around the mill gets caked with salt and the efficiency is marginal. At least the mechanism isn’t corroded. For the maldon salt looks would be a consideration (after efficiency); for generic salt not a factor.

Also a recommendation for my three spice mix (coriander fennel and Szechuan brown pepper).

I’ve had this one for about 8 years, foolproof, works great.

https://www.oxo.com/accent-mess-free-grinder.html

This looks like it might be the updated model, probably equally as good

https://www.amazon.com/OXO-Grips-Contoured-Mess-Free-Grinder/dp/B08DL74LYJ

1 Like

Ikea has a utilitarian salt/spice grinder that works pretty well. The grinding mechanism is ceramic.

1 Like

The ikea ability to move the grinder to different jars looks pretty handy though at this price I can probably afford more than one grinder!

Is ceramic grinder (versus steel) good for spices (coriander fennel etc) compared to steel?

Bumpity bump on Richard’s question. Plus, will it work for cinnamon?

Never mind. Just ordered the microplane 48060. Should do the trick for cinnamon sticks.

I bought The Pepper Cannon
May be one of the single nicest pieces of kitchen equipment I own. I found it on a Kickstarter (or similar)
I may buy two more
One for salt and one for special peppers like white.

Just an amazing device.

Can I grind salt in my Pepper Cannon?
No, salt will corrode even stainless steel eventually.

Plus, inside each salt crystal is… more salt! It doesn’t have any added flavor/aroma qualities that are improved by grinding, and it doesn’t degrade like pepper when pre-ground.

A salt shaker (or box, or bowl) with the size salt you want is fine, unlike a pepper shaker, which is a crime against flavor.

Last updated: Thu, November 5 2020 11:35 AM EST
In addition, it’s doubtful they have a WB favorable replacement policy unlike some vendors.

I think salt grinders are used for really coarse salt with much larger crystals than you would put on your food. I suppose it’s valid to wonder why not simply buy table salt with smaller crystals.

-Al

$200 should buy a whole lot of Maldon.

Got to ask, why would you grind Maldon sait? I have alway felt that the primary reason for using Maldon was for the texture as a finishing salt. Grinding it would take away it’s strongest feature.

I made an edit to show who I was asking…

I believe he was suggesting the cost of the expensive kickstarter grinder would buy a lot of Maldon salt that did not need to be ground.

0Al

I should have quoted the OP, and I’ve edited my post to clear up the question I was asking…

Don’t be mad, Bro… it’s only salt

Please don’t put Maldon salt into a grinder!

Funny, I missed that the grinder would be used for Maldon salt. Definitely no grinder needed.

Maldon salt is a flake salt and should be used as a finishing salt. IMHO it should not be ground.
This grinder is supposed to be the very best and would definitely work for the coriander, fennel, peppercorn blend.

About 20, and they aren’t big. FWIW.

Ok so maybe it’s some sort of confirmation bias but I swear Maldon has a special flavour actually with hints of sea water taste. So absolutely my fave to ‘put on food’. And depending, the flakes are sometimes a little large. Sometimes that’s good. For cooking I often use more generic sea salt.

https://www.amazon.com/Maldon-Salt-Flakes-1-5kg-3-3lbs/dp/B004SBQYMU/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3ANB25CG1ZUSR&keywords=maldon+salt+bucket&qid=1638119429&sprefix=maldon+salt%2Ctoys-and-games%2C198&sr=8-1
for maldon lovers…if you are not purchasing your Maldon salt in 3.08lb buckets you over paying.

I keep the 20 oz tub on my counter … never grind.