Mangos

the peach threat inspired me. Mango is my favorite fruit. Evidently there are 10,000 varieties, the Alfonso being the king of mangos. “If a mango has a soul, the Alfonso has ten souls.” I finally found this Alfonso mango—a tree—and planted it. Will likely be a few years before I taste the king of mangos. Picture to follow.

I have another mango tree on order but a different variety and not going to be planted for a few months.

Never get out of the boat.

2 Likes

3E1755D7-8150-45F8-9A13-64BF4A68E3F2.jpeg

I surely miss the boat in what you are telling me.

They went to gather mangoes in the jungle, or that’s my recollection.
Homegrown mangos should be great, but I think you tree has a way to go.

yes but sitting around waiting for Alfonso mangos was getting me nowhere. At least this will be progress. I figure 3-4 more years. Somebody will get them . . . my next tree supposedly will bear fruit next year.

I can’t remember the last time I had a mango, sad situation that needs to be rectified. I doubt I’ve ever had a really good one.

Do you need multiple trees for cross-pollination for the tree(s) to grow/bear fruit .

No.

Where did you find the Alfonso tree?

I have many Mango trees, some over 70 years old, Hayden, Erwin, Carrie, Keitt etc !
Mango Chutney !! neener

2 Likes
1 Like

We love mangos and have four trees. Two Keitt, a Carrie and a Glenn. Never heard of the Alfonso.
These are the Keitt’s:
6252E764-73CC-4CC9-B6AA-11C155DB8F3A.jpeg

1 Like

Alfonso is one of the most common varieties grown in India and anyone from India will tell you Indian mangoes are the best. Of course anyone from the Philippines will tell you their mangoes are the best.

Lots of other good mangoes (Mexican, Ethiopian, etc.) out there so long as you avoid Tommy Atkins. bleh. Unfortunately historically they have been the type most commonly available in the US. They are the red and green mangoes you see all over the place in grocery stores.

googled and it was in an exotic nursery in desert. Out by Riverside, CA.

I spelled it wrong—it’s Alphonso:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alphonso_(mango)
The king of mango: Article: The King of Kings-Ratnagiri/Devgad Alphonso Mango - ZZ - Fresh Mangoes
A mango nursery: Mango - Louie's Nursery & Garden Center - Riverside CA

Spasm waiter dropping to his knees, sees
Slander on wrap paper ties
Lifting up his head he feels the sunlight in his eyes

Grasp a kettle top and shoot the breeze, please
Ramble while slop scraper sighs
Tossing in his bed at night he’ll dream until he dies

Operations at the sink
The dribble liquid visible beneath his troubled eyes
Feels it tilt and start to slide

Mask a pretty hopper’s foot with squeeze cheese
Dangle some grape apple pies
Tranquil and serene until he runs out of supplies

Your hands and feet are mangos
You’re gonna be a genius anyway
Your hands and feet are mangos
You’re gonna be a genius anyway

My dad believes that Eve offered a mango in Eden. [cheers.gif]

1 Like

We see a lot of Alfonso grown in Mexico in our SoCal grocery stores around a buck a pop. They are small but velvety smooth. A fine selection, for sure.

How big are you expecting it to grow, Alan? While you can prune them to any size, I have seen mango trees (not Alfonso) reach 40 ft high and 15 ft across in inland San Diego County.

Mine is a Carrie, currently 12x8 ft. We are coastal and she doesn’t particularly appreciate the frequent cloud cover and offshore breeze but production and quality are good. The flesh is velvety - almost pudding - and more honeyed than the alphonso.
IMG_3226.jpg

2 Likes