Please recommend a good simple pork chop recipe

I picked up some of these:

https://www.debragga.com/pork/iberian-pastures-iberico-pork.html?source=pepperjam&publisherId=120349&clickId=3706482255

and I’d like a simple prep to get an idea of the flavor of the pork. I’m leaning towards sous vide followed by a sear but I almost never cook pork chops so I’d be grateful for any suggestions.

Recently did this one with bone-in large pork chops and was excellent. Assumes you have a quick read thermometer.

1. Brine chops at least 30 minutes (optional). When brine is done, pat chops dry.
  2. Heat heavy skillet , cast iron preferable, on high with small amount of oil until just smoking.
  3. Sear chops on both sides, 1-3 minutes per side until medium brown.
  4. Reduce heat to medium, flip chops and continue flipping every minute, 4-8 minutes until temp registers 140 (measure near the bone as that cooks slower).
  5. Remove from heat, add 2 tbsp butter and ladle melted butter with a spoon on one side and then the other for a minute or so. Temp will hit about 145 which is perfect.

Piqued my interest, always looking for a good chop. From the supplier’s (Iberian Pastures, aka White Oak Farms) website:

“Cooking Sugg. Low heat to render out fat, then high heat sear, served Medium Rare. No added cooking oil to pan.”

fwiw

I do a variation of this.

1. Brine
  2. Heat cast iron skillet, medium heat, no oil.
  3. Flip every minute +/- I am usually closer to 45 seconds
  4. Temp for done depends on the pork. The better pork, I pull between 130-135 depending on thickness. Otherwise 140-142.
  5. Pan sauce if in the mood but not needed.

I don’t think I’ve ever used a recipe for a pork chop, which we cook once a week or so. Unless crazy thick, I would just pan sear, as others have said, starting lower temp to render fat. Or just start in a cold pan, as with a duck breast. Brine or not, I don’t.

My only other suggestion is to make sure you spoon the hot fat over the bone edge to activate all the bits and pieces on the bone - makes for great gnawing.

I use 2" chops. Season with salt and Cajun seasoning and then a little flour. I use cassava for gluten free. Cook with oil over medium heat in a stainless skillet for 5 min. Sear the fatty edge and then flip. Finish in a 350 degree oven until 117 degrees on your probe thermo. It will coast up to 130. If you let it go to 130 you’ll end up with medium well.

Rest the chops and start the pan sauce. Deglaze the pan with apple cider vinegar and then add honey and chicken stock. Reduce over med-high heat then finish the sauce with butter.

Put the chops back in the skillet to warm and coat with sauce and then serve with garlic parm mashed potatoes and top with a heavy pinch of chopped Italian parsley.

I just brine then cook in anova precision oven until 122 internal, then put fat cap down in a hot skillet for 1 min then sear 1 min per side in the rendered fat.

One of my favorites. Bone-in makes a difference. I used to always use the thick-cut chops, but found that the “regular” (1 inch or so) thickness gives better results. Inexpensive, easy, and delicious.

Bone-in center-cut chops. No need for brine, though you can certainly do so if desired.
Season both sides with Slap Ya Mama cajun seasoning.
Prep charcoal grill with apple, hickory, and/or maple chips, and arrange coals all under one half of the grill
Grill chops two minutes per side over the coals
Move to the non-coal side for another minute or so per side, until 140 or so internal
Rest 5 minutes under foil.

this was a Heritage Berkshire pork chop from Regalis.
Floured and pan seared, added chicken stock, grainy dijon mustard, a bit of butter, sherry vinegar and heavy cream.

1 Like

I use Snake River Kurobuta chops. I think brining is unnecessary if you have fatty, flavorful meat. Agree with above comments that thinner ones cook better. If they are thick, I use reverse sear, starting in low oven or indirect grill then finish on high heat. Regardless of size, secret to brown and crusty is frequent flipping - every 60 seconds. I do the fat cap as well. Spooning fat is recommended. Finish with butter, shallots and sage.

Thank you everyone!