Recommend a Canned Fish/Seafood & Wine Combo

With us, canned tuna will almost certainly end up mixed with mayo in a tuna fish sandwich. Stepping outside the box, we recently served my favorite canned tuna straight from the can as part of a cheese & charcuterie plate. Delicious mayonnaise-free, and a tasty combo with the Txakoli that we were drinking.
Can you recommend combos that you have enjoyed ?
1CDCE331-204B-4BE4-83CA-AA9BCC3E86D6.jpeg
8AB9FD19-13CE-4130-B19F-B9CE071D92C5.jpeg

Sardines and fino or manzanilla
C2A155AF-BA01-4AB6-AB6B-707D0E341FBB.jpeg
A381C0BE-6F03-4257-884B-BA3A06D3CE25.jpeg

1 Like

The OP is actually a difficult question because there are so many good wine options, mainly white. One of my favorites is to chop tuna ventresca with a little thinly sliced green onion and a small amount of soy or tamari and put in the center of onigiri (sushi rice balls). Or if I am lazy, sort-of nigiri with a slice of ventresca on top. Champagne is amazing with it but white Burgundy and white Rhones work well too. Enjoy.

Wasn’t bad at all

Now that’s what I’m talking about! Love the enthusiasm in the video played off your understated comment, David. [cheers.gif]

While I think Genova is a good choice for tuna salad, being both readily available and inexpensive, try Ortiz, if you haven’t. I’ve tried a lot of kinds of canned tuna and Ortiz is my personal favorite. Their standard Bonito del Norte is very good, and the ventresca is excellent. Much richer than the Genova, IME.

1 Like

I would think you would want a canned wine to go with the canned fish. (Do I hear canned laughter?)

Thanks, guys, for the tuna tips. I was going to post a request so this is timely. Some of the food shows on tv do similar presentations but don’t mention the brand of tuna. Whole Foods carries the Ortiz, so I will try that one. Even Bumble Bee, etc. are trying to do better tuna; not sure if they are any good.

I highly recommend Veleta tuna from Berserker Nola Palomar. I load up every Berserker Day. Her other conservas are first rate as well.

2 Likes