Who loves Truffles?

Black truffles from France.
We never had them before. Absolutely amazing!
This dish was $55 at a restaurant.

4F568512-006E-418D-AE56-97F01B02BE66.jpeg

1 Like

have you tried white?

honestly think black are more flavorful and consistent than white which often are a let down - but when they’re on, they’re amazing. $3k / pound in NYC btw.

That is one brown dish!

2104DF99-4BC3-4551-892D-24A66510569F.jpeg

We buy the white every year. They are the best but are pricey.
Here is a white truffle pizza I made last week.

In other words, white truffles are the red Burgundy of the edible fungus world?

Where?

regalis, for one.

I’m basically a black truffle guy too…consistency and I’m cheap, or is it frugal? :slight_smile:
But just checked regalis, small whites are $4300/lb. Urbani is $2599 for 12oz of small white, not sure what a pound is but should come in under 3k.

I suspect the variation has more to do with quality of sourcing / shipping time / shipping conditions. Which is why I’m going to be in Alba this weekend and have picked out some well known restaurants to eat in. If only one could ensure good red Burgundy experiences by doing the same thing!

1 Like

Between uses add several eggs to the container you store your truffle in. The eggs absorb the truffle scent and are phenomenal.

@Ken Strauss - please share which restaurant, that dish looks divine.

https://lucamiami.com/

1 Like

class size and shape are what determine price. what most place sell as small is too small. medium or larger is what you want for proper shaving at the table imo. the regalis price i quoted is correct.

What’s a good place to order truffles? I’m looking more for value than the best truffle at any price. I’m located in CA, but willing to ship.

Fwiw the prices at the fair in Alba as of this morning are EUR5.5 to 6 per gram for the larger, nicer looking ones

Edited to add truffle tips from the fair:

White truffles get browner the longer they’ve been out of the ground. The paler the better. Also they should be very firm with no cracks or holes. Best shaved onto a dish just before eating

Black truffles (the Italian ones, not melanosporum) with coarse external grains are from the summer; the tighter grained ones are from the winter and are supposed to taste better. Best shaved onto risotto/pasta/eggs a minute or two before the dish is complete so they get a chance to heat up

Urbani provides reliably good product. As noted above this is a great time of year for a trip to Italy. San Miniato has a great white truffle festival that is mostly locals.

1 Like

My likely one and only truffle this year. Purchased by a chef friend for a private dinner for my birthday. Exceptional.
19E7FC0C-E8BD-4466-93C9-957632FBC5EE.jpeg

2 Likes

Urbani has a somewhat arithmetic-challenged sale right now. For small pieces (1/4-1/2 oz) the prices for 1/2 oz, 1 oz, and 2oz are $90, $180, and…$370.

Size matters to me. Maybe the 2 ounce lots are large truffles vs. smaller pieces. I would pay a premium for a 2 ounce over two 1 ounce truffles.

No it’s specifically for the small size truffles that are 2-4 per oz. 2oz of medium-size are $600.