Double fry duck fat fries- question

I make these a bit so have good mojo on the general process.

Question: how long can you wait between first fry (blanche) and the final fry with the same results? i.e. can you do the first fry at one location and then the final fry at another several hours later? Can you refrigerate after the first fry without damaging the results?

Kenji would say freeze them prior to second fry without damaging the results. Probably not exact process as yours, but results should be same?

2 Likes

Yep, I always freeze between the two. Not because of travelling, but due to other things have done as little as 15 minutes to as long as 2+ hours. I wouldn’t go shorter, but would go longer without any concern, unless the fries are thick cut. Not my style but if they were, I’d just defrost in fridge slightly before the 2nd fry.

2 Likes

Most ducks would recommend not even the first frying.

Putting in cold fridge will help dehydrate too. I do that with triple cooked fries between each step.

1 Like

You are welcome to experiment by doing the first fry at your house and second at mine.

haha. I am practicing to ensure it is perfected before doing at your house

I’ll volunteer my kitchen for the third fry,I have bourbon!:tumbler_glass:

Richard is correct. Fry and then figure out a way to dry them. Fridge is ideal. Then. Freezer.

Heston Blumenthal has a very good piece on ‘thrice fried fries’ from his series that’s now likely a decade old.

We make these a few times a year. And it does matter. The difference between a properly fried fry and one not is discernible.

You want to cook them the first time, even if you choose water and boil, until they get ‘fuzzy’ on the outside.

It’s Hestons recipe that I use. One of his simpler recipes. :grinning:

The really fun bit is his fish batter with vodka as well as beer, and a soda syphon.

(I actually had his fish and chips way back at the just opened LHR Terminal Five on the way home from a week in the UK which included lunch at the Fat Duck so I , technically, have had two Heston Blumenthal meals in one week. They were excellent. It helps knowing the end result of this for my own endeavours ).

The really good Fish’n’Chips places I’ve been to do it exactly like that. They have a bin of “1st fry” chips and then do the 2nd fry when an order is placed.