I F'ing Love Breakfast

A hot breakfast preferably!

I go to bed every night looking forward to breakfast, and wake up every morning both ravenous and excited about my first meal. I make myself wait until 9 or 9:30 to accommodate my usual IF hours, and then it’s straight to the kitchen!

Someone mentioned the other day that he doesn’t like breakfast food. I understand, but why limit yourself to traditional American offerings? Breakfast doesn’t have to be pastries or cereal or bacon and eggs. It can be cheese and ham. All over Asia they have hot soup for breakfast. Indian breakfasts are delicious. Dinner leftovers are amazing in the morning,

For my part, I usually make a kind of hash with whatever vegetables are leftover from the night before (cauliflower, cabbage, spinach, whatever) chopped up and rewarmed in a pan, sliced avocado, a big dollop of kimchi, and topped with a fried egg or mixed with eggs scrambled in bacon fat. It takes me 10 minutes and is so delicious, not to mention filling (I rarely eat lunch) and incredibly healthy.

I know so many people who skip breakfast altogether, and not for conscious fasting reasons, or who eat a load of processed boxed convenience food. Seems so sad to me.

Anyone else swear by the hot breakfast?

2 Likes

Breakfast is a great time to eat leftovers! I make a white bean stew that I freeze leftovers and top with a fried egg. Also make “hash” with leftover vegetables and rice, either fried with egg scrambled or topped with fried egg. Leftover salsas, romesco, red sauce are brilliant with egg whites or scramble. Leftover cornbread is a veritable goldmine with red sauce and egg whites. I often saute onion or leeks with chicken stock and thyme until soft and almost dry and top with egg whites or fried egg. Added leftover mushrooms or roasted red peppers are a plus. I prefer savory for breakfast and like you, make it a substitute for 2 meals. Love adding spices, herbs and acids to wake up leftovers.

Sounds awesome! But eat your yolks - even the USDA now admits there’s no link between dietary cholesterol and serum cholesterol, and egg yolks are the perfect source of choline, as well as iron, B vitamins, folate, and others. The white has nothing really expect a little protein, which the yolk does as well.

Kippers!

Gotta have 'em in Texas, 'cause everyone’s a millionaire.

1 Like

^^ This ^^
[winner.gif]

Rarely if ever do I eat breakfast. Usually one meal daily, dinner

Sunday’s only for me. Every other day of the week is usually a piece of fruit or a green smoothie. But most Sundays if I’ve got nothing going on I’ll pick up the newspaper and hit various diners for a traditional American breakfast with extra crispy hash browns, or my favorite Mexican joint for homestyle huevos rancheros with rice and beans. Not really into pancakes, waffles and the sweet stuff.

Usually a kind of spiced, sweetened congee for me.

I boil rice for too long with brown sugar and whatever spices I fancy. Then serve with homemade jams and seed mixes, frozen berries.

I can’t do gluten or oats and this is a simple substitute. Keeps a long time in the fridge. Warm in the microwave.

If Coffee counts then yes. Other than that it is usually a pass for me. I am just not hungry.

George

The only thing better than Breakfast is Breakfast + Sake!

2 Likes

breakfast.jpeg

We used to do a holiday break ‘Brinner’-breakfast foods at dinner time- with friends that have a daughter the same age as our son. Show up in our pajamas around 6pm, go nuts. Also makes it easier to work in some wine pairing you just can’t justify at 9am. Now they’re in college, may not be able to swing it this time. Might still have to do the home version a little scaled down for the 3 of us.

Eggs with diced tomato and onions, refried black beans, a piece of toast, black coffee, and quiet time to read The Economist. Such a beautiful way to start a day. It’s a bit difficult to make it happen properly during the week, and I cherish when I can fully enjoy it on the weekends.

Love breakfast, and I enjoy a lot of different things such as croissants, crumpets, yes kippers, smoked salmon on bagels, herring, a British style fry up including bangers, bacon and baked beans (once a year) etc

Soup: Pho, Ramen, Hot&Sour, etc.

1 Like

2 fried or scrambled eggs every morning. Then second breakfast of Cheerios with fruit later in the morning. On weekends add pancakes or french toast and cut out the second breakfast.

I loathe it. A cup of coffee and I’m usually good till dinner. That’s my meal!

I don’t eat breakfast most days. Although the breakfasts as laid out in the first couple posts would certainly entice me!

My favorite breakfast joint is in a town of about 500 that I go though a couple times a month. Biscuits & gravy & hashbrowns. You know the servings are generous when you can order 1/2 - and even 1/4 order!

I love a great breakfast when I am traveling.
At home I have a Greek yogurt and coffee 90% of the time.

I like something quick. I always grind fresh beans for the family coffee.