CHAR SIU Chicken

Char Siu is a Cantonese style of BBQ. Traditionally made with pork, especially pork neck. It is combined with rice or used as an ingredient for noodle dishes or stir fries. But also often made with chicken these days, as not everybody likes pork. BTW, I didn’t used red food colouring which is traditionally used in this recipe.

I made a homemade Chinese-5-spice-powder based on this recipe: How to make authentic Chinese Five Spice | Feasting At Home

Ingredients

400-500g boneless chicken thigh

1 tbsp light soy sauce
1 tbsp honey
1 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tbsp dark soy sauce
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp Chinese-5-spice powder
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tbsp Hoisin sauce

optional: salt and grated fresh ginger

Preparation

1. Combine the ingredients for the marinade

1. Put the chicken in a container or bowl. Drizzle the marinade over the chicken. Put in the fridge covered for a few hours or best overnight.

1. Pre-heat the oven to 200C/400F. Add a baking paper or alu foil to a baking tray and put ut a rack on top.

1. Add chicken thighs and put in the oven for 20min. Optional use a broiler for the last 2-3min to crisp the skin.

1. Heat leftover marinade for 3-4min on low heat and use as a sauce. I served the Char Siu chicken with lemongrass rice and cilantro&ginger carrots. ENJOY

Pork version also good in dumplings - Char Siu Bao

1 Like

Bao are buns, rather than dumplings. At least, that is what i recall in Chinese.

What I’m thinking of are the slightly sweet, very pale white things, stuffed with the pork. My apologies, I’m sure you’re right on terminology, even if they aren’t noodles. :rofl:

Thanks Martin, this looks perfect for the grill. In addition to the chicken thighs, I’m thinking the marinade might be good for grilled pork tenderloin.

Of course it would be delicious with pork tenderloin. Next time I will also make it with pork.

Works with very firm tofu.

1 Like

Also super lovely in banh mi. Thanks for sharing!

I make a version with pork tenderloin that is very easy and delicious.

Marinade:

3T hoisin
3T ground bean sauce
3T soy
1 T brown sugar
1/2 t five spice powder
2 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed

Mix ingredients and pour over two 1 pound pork tenderloins. I shake the container a few times to distribute marinade. Marinate overnight in the fridge, then remove garlic… Put in oven at 325 until internal temp reaches 140. Serve with a green vegetable and white rice.

Sounds like what you said but thick dough is used that forms a bread in the steamer instead of the gyoza/pasta style texture. “Manapua” in Hawaii.

Solid recipe, I would consider air frying this or using charcoal grill/smoker

Very good hint. I have no Air Fryer, but was considering to buy one based on the results I saw on YouTube regarding pork belly.

Ah yes, I am also familiar with that YouTube channel. Air fryers are great but we have been enjoying our combi tabketop oven since the steam function really warms the oven very evenly.