Favorite way to cook/eat wagyu?

I was thinking about this a few weeks ago. I’ve enjoyed it simply seared in cast iron with salt and a little pepper a few times at home. I’ve done it more of a Japanese style over rice, green onion, fried egg, etc… I’m actually thinking I might it like it more in a Korean BBQ style. Still do a hard sear on the steak but maybe prep it in cubes then make lots of banchan and eat it ssam style. I think the refreshing side dishes, herbs, etc. would help lighten up the wagyu quite a bit in a nice way.

I have been fortunate enough to visit Cote in NYC and thought it was great (just a little too noisy for me and SOO many banchans… too many) and really enjoyed it prepared that way. Peter Lugers will always be my NY #1 steak, but Cote is also something special.

I like making wagyu/asparagus rice bowls. I’ll usually stick the beef in the apo at 130F until 100F internal then quick sear in super hot skillet.

So far I’ve done all my wagyu on skillet all the way… for a bigger piece I’m thinking sous vide. Have you tried this way and does it release too much fat?

Absolutely not sous code for wagyu, will ruin the texture.

1 Like

My plan is to do a 24 hour dry brine

100% - do not sous vide good wagyu.

Here are some pictures from a dinner we did recently with some incredible Kagoshima A5 wagyu. Also some beautiful uni and hamachi:

No need. Some people recommend just letting it come to room temp and sear, but I like getting it to 100 because then it’s not raw on the inside.

Yea, I don’t do blue steaks… I like medium to medium rare. 135 isn’t bad.

Sometimes I see these youtube channels “Sous Vide Everything” and I’m like… but wagyu fat is already melting a room temp. Sous vide is going to be weird, no? Yeah, I’d use a wireless thermometer and keep an I on the temp.

Looks good!

Get it to 100, then quick sear, maybe 1 min a side, will get it to around rare/med rare but render the fat nicely.

Just made some wagyu last night. Cast iron sear 2 min per side on a 3/4" thick cut with just salt ended up perfectly rare. Sauted Chanterelles in the rendered fat and served with steamed baby potatoes in butter all topped with shaved black truffle that just arrived yesterday.

I’m fortunate enough to have a few wagyu steaks so I’ll definitely do one this way.

This is very similar to the way I’ve cooked it previously. It’s great.

Not with sous vide tho.

I’ve made it this way after getting to room temperature first; it’s ok but I still think there’s too much delta between the surface and the middle.

not sous vide, but I will try and I do want to dry brine it just so the sear can happen more cleanly.

I suppose you could set an oven pretty low and gradually bring it up to temp.

Yes anova precision oven.

You don’t need to dry brine wagyu.

ohh I kinda wanted one (still want one) but we ended up getting the tovala steam oven.

I bought one of these https://www.amazon.com/Iwatani-Smokeless-Barbecue-YAKIMARU-CB-SLG-1/dp/B07654Z82L
and had family over with some Ozaki Brand A5 Wagyu from Japan, sliced thin it barely needs 30secs a side, sprinkle of Maldon salt once cooked and dipped in some Ebara Yakiniku Sauce (Miso Soy sauce flavor). Was good to be able to sit around the table and cook it and chat, bit of rice on the side and some endames. There was a bit of smoke still, so had to disable smoke alarm for the duration but wasn’t too bad.