"No Hot" Plates, Bowls, Dishware Recommendations

Does anyone have recommendations for porcelain/stoneware brands that sell plates, bowls etc. which do not get too hot (ideally not hot at all!) when microwaved, and may still be family friendly (sturdy, not insanely expensive, etc.). Thanks in advance for any suggestions. [cheers.gif]

The only ones I know that don’t get hot are ones made from fibers.

Kota Japan Wheat Straw Fiber Tableware 10 Inch Plate for Dinner, Lunch and Breakfast for Pasta, Noodle, Salad, Side and Dessert Dinnerware Dish Set - 4 Piece https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08GBYYG1F/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_7H7M8E7JCFFNB2BC59BJ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Some others from some Internet sleuthing. The Denby/Revolv stuff looks so pretty, but is overkill for my 2 year old.

FiestaWare: heavy/bulky
10 StrawberryStreet: well priced, looks good. looking into this more
Shenango restaurant ware: hard to find
Denby: $40/plate
Revol: $40/plate
Corelle: shatters into fine/sharp pieces

https://livingindoor.com/best-plates-for-microwave/
Amethya Premium Ceramic Colorful Meal Stoneware (Dinner Plates): $10/plate on Amazon (cannot find a brand website)
Wheat Straw Plates

Use a ceramic bottom plate, underneath the food vessel. Have a napkin between the two, to prevent sliding that might cause burn-risking spillage.

I don’t own a microwave, but I do love my MadeIn dishes.

We have 2 sets of Staccato (porcelain) from Crate & Barrel - none have broken in 6 years of daily use. We put them regularly in the dishwasher and occasionally in the microwave with no “hot spots”: https://www.crateandbarrel.com/dining-and-entertaining/staccato-dinnerware/1

My parents are fans of White Pearl (bone china) also from Crate & Barrel. This is pricier than the staccato, but also more visually appealing. Having used both, I think the porcelain is less likely to chip, but my parents’ set has no chips after approx. 10 years, so I may be wrong. https://www.crateandbarrel.com/dining-and-entertaining/white-pearl-dinnerware/1

Also really love my fiestaware, which looks brand new after 10+ years of regular use.

We had a set of stoneware from Costco (red square plates/bowls etc.) that was horrendous. It would develop terrible hot spots, and if I remember correctly, one of the plates cracked in the microwave. We haven’t purchased stoneware since.

Thanks for the suggestions. I think we currently have the Aspen bowls from C&B (porcelain). The issue is they crazy hot after two minuts. I reheated soup in the microwave today and the soup was almost warm while the bowl was searingly hot to touch. Sounds like your bowls don’t do this?

How long have you had your Staccato? I think an earlier version was discontinued, the current version is supposed to be microwave safe.

Both porcelain and stoneware can be microwave safe, depending on the glaze. It’s easy enough to use a glaze that will render it microwave safe, so most recent pieces from reputable brands should be good (and should advertise whether they are safe for the microwave).

-Al

Live near an Embassy?

We have had it for about 6 to 7 years. When we purchased the sets, they were marketed as microwave safe.

The rim of the bowls and plates barely get warm (if at all), however, any part of the plate/bowl with hot food or liquid on it is as hot as the food above it.

I thought microwave safe just meant microwave won’t destroy the plate (and vice versa). I have microwave safe (at least according to the company description) stuff that still gets super hot as the OP’s concern

FYI steam ovens are way nicer to reheat food as opposed to microwaves. We’ve found the ovens reheat food more evenly and no cold spots.

If it gets super hot along with the food, that’s fine. If it’s getting hot much faster than the food, there is a risk it breaks. I suppose it’s possible companies are sloppy about the term, but it’s easy to make porcelain or stoneware dishes that heat more slowly than the food (mostly, they heat because the food gets hot).

-Al

I am wondering if the set I have is just older and the glaze has worn off a little, letting more moisture into the clay itself.

Corelle seems to be a popular brand that keeps apparently cooler. Sounds like its made out of glass by Corning.