Bagels/lox/whitefish salad in DC

Hi Folks,

We are moving Christmas from my uncle’s house to our house this year. We’ll have 8 people in our house for two nights. Looking for recommendations for bagels, lox and whitefish salad in DC for our breakfasts.

Thanks,

Lonnie

I’m most familiar with Call your Mother. I will say DC bagel prices are a bit atrocious. I think maybe the name is a nod to Russ & Daughters. Bethesda Bagels is more of a chain, but is supposedly very good.

Have them sent from Russ & Daughters in NYC

I was thinking about that.

Not the bagels! The lox & whitefish yes, but if you need bagels get them from Ess A Bagel, the bagels at R&D are terrible.

However if you would be happy with bialys instead the ones at R&D are great.

1 Like

There’s a reason that Jay is widely known as the wisest New Yorker in New Jersey. Listen to this man.

1 Like

Ess A bagel by a mile.
Goldbelly

https://www.goldbelly.com/essabagel/new-york-bagel-brunch-for-12-12-free-bagels?ref=merchant

ess A bagel looks good but earliest delivery is 1/4/2022. Good thinking for next year though.

Baked by Yael (full disclosure she’s a friend). But they’re making fresh bagels at their store on x-mas.

Wow!
I should have known.
I ordered last week and my delivery is 12/31/2021 which turned out to be perfect.
champagne.gif champagne.gif champagne.gif

We catered brunch the day after my daughters wedding, last spring, from this place:

The bagels were excellent.

If you’re going to be in Virginia anytime I always go to Photos for Bobby's Bagel Cafe - Yelp

They do discounted bagel bags that are older so they only sell fresh bagels. Their spreads aren’t the most premium, but the value is insane there. The bagels are pretty good and do remind me a little bit of the Jersey Boy Bagels I grew up on.

Essa is awesome fresh from the oven. In the top 5 in NYC, but DC has to have options where frssh baked beats 2 day old versions of NY best

Just don’t go anywhere DC that calls themselves like “Manhattan Bagel”

call your mother is great. have had good results at multiple locations.

I’m surprised no one said Bethesda Bagels. They are solid and I’m from NJ if that matters. Baked by Yael are good but a bit small and as a result my kids complain.

What did you end up with?

Another vote as Bethesda Bagels, I randomly stopped there for breakfast on the way back from NC in May, they were so good I brought some back to NYC!