Wu’s wonton

Yesterday, we braved the rain, omicron, to go down to Chinatown for an actual physical get together of our Zoom group. Some wonderful BYOs, but it was the food which I heard so much about that stole the show.
First of all, the suckling pig

Simply prepared, crisp skin in a Chinese bun with hoisin sauce and cucumber, the remainder then left on the table.

But then came the crab. I had heard about the King Alaskan crab the size of a table top. Well here he was in all his glory.

He returned in three courses
The only one I photographed was the steamed claws loaded with garlic. The second deep fried, was unbelievable, the best of the three, and we finished with crab rice.To add variety we hard vegetables, a soup with dumplings. Just an unbelievable feast for eleven people.

2 Likes

DF6BB6DF-C9B3-47EF-893C-0FAE11E92CFA.jpeg
C35AAC1F-D42B-4758-AD17-438D0AD12915.jpeg
B62268D9-4F17-4031-BD9D-F688D3083F2D.jpeg
808904EA-E235-47DD-9444-BC620F5F1C5C.jpeg

1 Like

Impressive feast… did the suckling pig once… but just a few sides along with it.

I’ve been going there for a few years now. Best pic is of the live crab itself. I take one every time I go. My favorite dish is one with silver anchovy. Surprisingly they don’t do a very good duck there.

Nice photo of Dale and Betsy!

1 Like

Anybody order the wontons?

Love the rieslings selections!

Good question. I’ve eaten there at least a dozen times and I have never had a wonton.

Very good, but the roasted meats overshadow them, at least literally.

I’ve had the wonton soup and both the soup and wontons were very good - definitely a different breed than your typical stuff.

If I had photos in a place that can post here, I would share the fabulous reaction of the very provincial wife of a French winemaker to the pig placed in front of her.

The wonton soup is delicious. Highly recommend! Last time we had the eel in black bean for the first time which might be my new favorite dish. String beans with minced pork is also up there.

Wine-dined there 4X or 5X and occurred to me that so many posts here and, including the dinners that I went, but don’t read/hear anything about anybody having wonton at Wu’s Wonton King!

We did get the fried anchovies, I always find amazing with Champagne.
I was surprised the Baudry LCB Blanc was my fave with the steamed crab.
I still have not had wontons in dozen or so trips, but others got wonton soup (I was saving myself for proteins) and Betsy said good.

The wontons were good, I have had better at Cafe Evergreen on the upper east side. The crab was fantastic, and the salt and pepper sautéed second course was arguably the best thing I have eaten this year. The suckling pig we named George was also delicious.

There was a lot of superb wines on the table, but the three stand outs for me were

Dom Perignon 2008 again
Selbach Oster Zeltinger 1999
Philippe Leclerc Combe aux Moines 1985

All this talk has me really tempted to drive in from NJ on Christmas for takeout.

I’m with you, Paul. Love the suckling pig and the silver anchovy with squid in chives dish is my favorite dish there, too. The lamb chops can also be very good and allow some reds to be consumed.

To be honest, I’m over the crab. So not worth it to me. For $500, if you’re eight people that’s an additional $60+ a person for the equivalent of a leg per person. You can seriously load up on multiple lobster dishes per person (which tastes better, imo) for the same price, if you wanted to. The king crabs are literally half the price at restaurants in Queens.

Salt and Pepper sauteed what? Quite a recommendation. Can’t figure it out from the menu. May have to head there next week for some wontons, crab, and that.

The crab was served in three courses. The salt and pepper was #2

The salt and pepper calamari is a great option if you’re not doing the crab.

The shells of the crabs are delicious, if flash-fried.

I agree with you on the Silver Anchovy. I have never had the little piggy - and would really like to try it. Sounds like the crab and the pig would really be a feast!