Wine pairing with XLBs (Soup Dumplings)

We usually get a variety whether it’s seafood, pork & vegetables, etc.

I’m thinking maybe a burgundy or something older like CA pre-1990s.

PYCM

Champagne. Gruner.

And dry Sherry.

1 Like

I was thinking champagne because it goes with everything, but hot dumplings and cold champagne might be a bit of an oddity. I had considered white burgundy as well.

Champagne is great with XLB, in my experience. Although, I’ll admit Champagne has always paired nicely with the particular company.

-Al

Champagne and a quality Fino, as has been mentioned. LdH Tondonia Reserva or Gravonia could work also.

Very much agreed.

Sherry is an interesting choice I had not considered before. Maybe one of those “dreaded” oxidized style champagnes too would be a good pairing. Seems like alot people on the forums like pre-ox champagnes.

XLB is a clear broth dish that has delicate flavors and normally served steaming hot. I wouldn’t go nuts with big pricey champagnes or still white wines.
In a way, I like your oxidized comment and, if me, I would not over-complicate and would go with simple Cremant (Alsace, Jura, Bourgogne), prosecco and/or cava.

Agree

I also don’t mind reds on the lighter side with xiao long bao. After all, dark vinegar is a common condiment for these

I love alsation cremants and we recently stocked some good cava’s. I’m not too familiar with loire sparklers…

Leave the wine out long enough… :stuck_out_tongue:

Some wines do have “soy sauce” flavors too… not sure if I should see something like that out.

I’m going to shock everyone and agree with the camp that says Sherry.

Agree with a good sherry - fino or manzanilla. My wife would prefer to pair w/ oloroso or palo cortado, but she pretty much pairs those with anything.