Sous Vide

Last night, I had some duck cooked using Sous Vide and then finished (seared) on a cook top. Came out really good. Very interested in this. Any good cookbooks on using this technique. What equipment do you have? Thanks for the help.

I like that method of cooking duck breast a lot.

Very basically you just need an Anova sous vide stick and a big pot full of water.

Seriouseats.com has a lot of recipes for cooking sous vide.

the other option is to spring for an Anova combi oven which can do effectively the same thing as sous vide even if it’s not technically the same technique.

1 Like

A lot of good information on this thread and several others in this forum.

Love doing duck legs sous vide. You can get pretty close to duck confit that way and you can do them in smaller portions vis a via the traditional method. I use a slightly modified receipe from ChefSteps. ChefSteps is also a pretty good resource for a bunch of tips and recipes with sous vide in general, so it’s worth browsing through the site a bit.

I watch Guga on youtube his channel is called Sous Vide Everything.

I use an instant pot duo evo plus (50$ on Amazon black Friday sale) and it does an amazing job with less than ~1-2 degrees temperature variation. I believe Ultra models also have the sous vide function. 1/3-1/4 the cost of Anovas and more importantly one less appliance taking up storage/counter space.

+1 on the sous vide everything yt channel for tips and tricks.

I would read this guide. Kenji does a great break down on time and temp and the effects it has on the protein. When I sous vide duck, I treat it like a filet for the time/temp.

A strong rec here for the Joule unit. It’s worked very well for us for a year now. Very quiet (not the case with all brands) and easy to use. Some people seem to prefer a unit with manual controls (Joule is controlled only through an app) but I’ve never found that to be a negative.

There are tons of books and online recipes out there. Large and tougher meat cuts are often suggested to be done for 24 to 48 hours but my max so far has been
12. Cook times seem quite forgiving though, but rendering fat is something that needs to be figured out.

Sous vide is only a tiny portion of what the anova precision oven can do. Comparing to anything under than other steam ovens isn’t particularly useful.

I believe that he was referencing the Anova immersion circulators.

Correct. Doesn’t sous vide mean (sealed) under vacuum and immersion in water for an extended period of time? I’m sure the results of using a steam or any other kind of oven can be great but regardless of whatever marketing term the manufacturer wants to use, is that still technically sous vide?

Also, I’m not going to list or compare all the unrelated things an instant pot can do (which are a lot) besides pressure cooking, but what does multiple other functionalities have to do with the sous vide discussion anyway?

You will see lots of those arguments on the Anova discussion site. Using their oven to “sous vide” is technically not sous vide but it produces exactly the same results. So some people feel the shorthand is fine and others are offended by it.

Far be it from me to object to meaningless arguments over nomenclature.

He referenced the anova precision oven in his post, not the immersion circulator.

The steam oven seals the food in a 100% humidity environment (the steam chamber).

That being said I more commonly run the anova in sous vide mode without steam because it gives a better crust.