Kettle vs. Kamado

Hi, All. I’m sure this has been discussed ad nauseum before, so don’t hesitate to just refer me to the right thread if it exists.

If it doesn’t, I’m looking for feedback and advice as I need to replace my 30 year old Weber Performer classic kettle. The question is do I get another or migrate/upgrade to a Kamado style grill. I don’t need to discuss the intricacies of Kamado Joe vs. Big Green Egg or others. I’m trying decide if the benefits of Kamado style are worth it vs. the traditional kettle.

I’ve watched lots of videos, and it appears the Kamado style has more versatility, burns more consistently and longer and is materially more expensive. But it also seems very cumbersome with high start-up overhead (for regular cooking, not the first time set up). I just can’t tell if the results are worth it. I have a Weber Smoky Mountain for smoking purposes, so not sure there’s much benefit there.

If anyone has any thoughts, I’d love it if you could share. Want to pull the trigger in the next couple weeks. Happy to spend the $1500 for the Kamado if it’s worth it, but I’ll be real unhappy if I buy it and it just sits there.

Thanks.

Mike

do a search, there are plenty of in-depth grill/grilling threads.

I own both. For quick cooks, burgers, a couple steaks I’ll use the Weber. Easier to light and clean up. I also have better control on a rare/Med-rare cook on the Weber. When it comes to slow cooking, roasts, bulk cook/jerk chicken where I need more grill space or high heat/pizza or indirect grill space with better temp control I use my egg. There is plenty of room for both in my cooking needs.

For the type of cooking I do (typically smoking, low and slow) the Kamado is the way to go over my Weber Smoky Mountain. Way better temperature control and almost set-and-forget. I don’t even use the WSM anymore.

Another thought to consider is if you plan to move it around, the kettle is a better choice. The kamados aren’t fragile, per se, but they do require a bit more caution if you like to store your rig in a shed or garage during inclement weather. I have both and like to move the kettle around based on which way the wind is blowing, but I leave my BGE in the garage and only wheel it out in favorable conditions. Perhaps due to the cost of the BGE I am more worried about leaving it out since we get pretty strong wind year round and occasionally large hail in the summer. The Weber is quickly moved and secured if needed. The BGE on a cart still requires a bit of caution and planning to move.

I think this is about as succinct as you can put it. I really wanted a kamado-style grill but couldn’t justify it based on how little long cooks I perform.

Ended up getting a Weber Performer, which is the kettle on a cart with fold-out stand. Have made ribs a few times. Works pretty well especially combined with a bluetooth temperature monitor, but does require a bit more looking after to keep the fire low and consistent over a 7-hour cook.

Thanks guys. My sense is that if mostly I’m going to use it for simple burgers/steaks, the Weber Performer is fine and easier to use. I can see where the Kamado style can be better than my Smoky Mountain for overnight or very long smoking purposes (I really struggle with my WSM keeping temperature consistent for long periods).

Do you really use the Kamado for the non-traditional stuff (pizza/bread/rotisserie/seared scallops) much?

I have a Kamado Joe Big Joe and use the rotisserie attachment pretty frequently actually. I haven’t done pizza because I think the ooni is probably better for that.

I love my Big Green Egg. And not just for smoking. It’s just such a perfect device. Easy to get to temp. Easy to manage temp. Easy to clean. Great for indirect heat. Solid as a rock. Super versatile. Lots of accessories and gizmos. It brings me joy every time I use it. I’ve heard Kamado Joes are every bit as good.

Weber certainly makes a great product. I have a Weber Genesis II gas grill that I also like, but it has no soul.

I opted for the Weber Kettle over the Kamado style a few years back and haven’t regretted it. Then, opted for a Traeger over a Kamado a couple years after that. Haven’t regretted that.

I also bought a pizza kettle setup so I can make pizza. But I also use it for other things like searing steaks.

Rotisserie?

I’d use my Ooni too, if I owned one. Only so much room for toys in my backyard kitchen

This one: https://www.kamadojoe.com/collections/accessories/products/joetisserie

That’s freaking cool!

Now that made me laugh. I completely see your point and respect your passion. Thanks.

So you’re advocating that I buy the Performer and the Kamado to go with my Smokey Mountain. I like the way you think. :slight_smile: Not sure my wife would go for that, and it would cost me the new golf clubs I was thinking of too. High price there. But maybe….

1 Like

I had a Big Green Egg that I left behind when I moved across the country. As a temporary replacement here, I bought a Weber Kettle (which I have owned in the past, but not for many years). And for the kind of cooking I tend to do, I don’t miss the Egg a whole lot. I do think I’ll get another one (or something similar) whenever we get around to updating our back yard and putting in a proper outdoor kitchen area. But for my needs, if I can only pick one, I think I’d still choose the Weber.

Kamado joe makes a kettle now too

i have a char-griller Akorn and i love it. Its 6 years old and I am terrible at taking care of it and it still works just fine. also like half the cost of an Egg or Kamado joe. i invested in a fan to air control long smokes and it is basically a thought-free smoker and grill. takes minutes to get going, holds a great temp, and uses very little charcoal.

If your WSM gives you the smoking you need just get a kettle. Buying a Kamado just for grilling is overkill. Kamado’s are the best all in one unit, but not really the best at any one particular task. It’s the Swiss Army knife of outdoor cookers.

I saw a video of that fan and it looks awesome. Will definitely get one of those, because to serve a good smoked brisket at 7PM you have to put it on at midnight.