Steak-off: Holy Grail and Morgan Ranch

Two nights ago, four of us did a steak-off:

From bottom to top:

• Holy Grail Prestige wagyu ribeye

• Morgan Ranch wagyu strip

• Morgan Ranch wagyu ribeye

steak.jpeg
Any one of these would have been incredible on its own, but in a comparison like this, the Holy Grail was in a league of its own, stunning.

And yes, I grill these - not too scary, you just have to watch them like a hawk.

2 Likes

Overall very happy with my Morgan Ranch order. I will say some of the cuts were a bit tough. I probably should’ve done my dry brine treatment, but I was too hungry to wait.

We grilled a Morgan flank steak and a short rib two weeks ago and they were superb …. The strip steaks I gifted to my daughter were also a major hit - SIL exec chef does the grilling and is very impressed with them. Next we’re aiming at the rib eyes.

I’ve been eating a bunch of Morgan Ranch lately, and while very tasty, they have all been cut poorly which is a pet peeve of mine.
And by pet peeve, I mean when I see slices of meat hanging from a steak or that the steak is like 10% thinner on the other side, I start shaking uncontrollably until my wife comes and calms me down and tells me it’s going to be alright.
Well, maybe not that bad, but you get the idea :slight_smile:

I’ve only ordered from Holy Grail once, and those steaks were spectacular.

Hi Mikko,
I’m sorry to hear you didn’t get well cut steaks. I agree that is a bummer. Any chance that you took photos? If you did, could you send them to me? We want our product to be consistently wonderful.
Thanks - Carrie

1 Like

Am the same way, and I frequently spend an extra 5-10 mins trimming down my steaks, 10-15 mins squaring up flanks and god help me when I get a wagyu brisket from Costco.

I haven’t had that issue (meat hanging/misshapen cuts) with Morgan Ranch product, and I’ve had a ton of their steaks. I will chalk that up to me being lucky, I guess.

For what it’s worth, I’d recommend getting their standing rib roast ($275/10 lbs) and trimming it down into 4 cote de boeuf style 2.5 lb steaks. When you back it out, $27.50/lb delivered to your door and you get to cut it the way you want it is Christmas for me. When Eric finally puts his sandals back on and drives up to Seattle, I’ll have him update the thread :wink:

1 Like

I don’t think you’ve been lucky, I think I have just been unlucky and my experience is not representative of the general finish quality of their product.

That is not a bad idea actually. I normally do cut my own steaks from whole primals and thats not a bad price at all for that level of quality beef!

Morgan ranch ground beef made some spectacular burgers tonight.

You guys eat early. I’m still cooking my Morgan Ranch Wagyu Tri Tip.

I made a tri-tip the other night. It was pouring rain so I used my Egg. The cook was off a little because it was a work night, the meat didn’t get the proper seasoning time and I didn’t use any oak. Next time it’s the Weber and oak.

Tonight we’re cooking Morgan Ranch Wagyu burgers. These things rock.

I like making sliders with the Morgan Ranch Wagyu. I think they get cook more evenly than a large patty.

Young kids = eat early

Yeah I made like a 0.4 and 0.6 lb burger; they were fantastic, seemed to get them cooked pretty perfect too which was tricky because I had to do a Rapid thaw