Troisgros

legendary restaurant. Three Michelin stars since 1968. Fourth generation now running kitchen though father Michel still at César’s side.

They moved to Ouches, near nothing, but a lovely estate that seems quite Zen in central France, in Loire. We stayed two days. Rain and even snow precluded these southern Californians from too much outdoor exploits during those two days. There are fields, woods, and a small lake on premises.

Here is a much better written and complete story than I can tell: Maison Troisgros in Ouches, France - 3 Michelin stars (review by ElizabethOnFood)

Their motto is, “excellence lies in simplicity.” The rooms were beautiful, lots of wood, simple design, though warm and comfortable. Best hotel mattress in France from my surveys. A lovely iced tea and brioche bread greeted us in the room.

The kitchen was immaculate, 20 chefs to serve about 40-50 people a night. The dining room is called “les bois sans feuilles,” the leafless woods. I’ll add pictures.

First night, I asked our server about a dish I had had 20+ years ago at their prior location, one imbedded forever in my brain. He promised to ask Michel if it could be done, as it was not on the menu. I’ll come back to that. Service was perfect, paced and steady, water glasses filled often, wine list a pleasant value list of trophies. Their house champagne is a NV cuvée made by Duval-Leroy. Our wine was 2014 Cecile Tremblay Chapelle Chambertin, soft and full of finesse, amazing bouquet, gorgeous layered open red Burgundy, like a RSV and so fine. We did the tasting menu the first night, a la carte the next night. Second night wine was 2012 Coche-Dury Meursault Rougeots. Gorgeous wine. Each of the wines was about 500€, a third of retail.

Food is simply amazing. Asian spices, lots of Indian and Middle East influence, acidity—something they are known for, cuisine acidulée—pronounced and so delicious. I can’t do justice describing the meals. 11 out of 10.

At the end of the first evening, our waiter told us Michel might be able to make the requested dish if he could get a pigeon at the market the next day, “80% chance.”

The next day, it snowed and, with a brutal wind, it was hard to walk the nearby town, but there was little to see there anyway. We had lunch at the small bistro in town, run by Troisgros, drinking both red and white Coche Bourgogne by the glass. Food was good, bistro food.

Second night, graciously seated at the table my wife had asked for the prior night, the waiter announced that the requested dish would be made. What we didn’t know is that Michel would spend 10 minutes at our table talking to us about the dish and his life, then sauce my wife’s asparagus dish. The dish was one he developed when he ran a Moscow restaurant for three years long ago, pigeon à la Kiev. The original chicken Kiev, which I’ve often made, is a chicken breast pounded flat, a large dollop of butter and some chives placed on top, then rolled into a ball, breaded and fried. When one cuts it open, the butter and chives ooze out. It’s delicious. The Troisgros version takes it up about 500 levels. Breast of pigeon and a section of foie gras are wrapped in a little spinach, some black truffle added, then a coating of bread crumbs and other ingredients to make a crust about 1/8 inch thick. It is fried and served cut in half. Pictures follow.

Both evenings and the entire experience at Troisgros were wonderful. Can’t use enough adjectives to explain the graciousness, the beauty and elegance all provided, paradoxically, simplicity. An elegant simplicity.

10 Likes

99C5E851-C617-41CA-9604-BFF36E8AB84E.jpeg
9FCF532E-FBD7-4D06-BD24-519AF3FFAB50.jpeg
E9E9756F-8B11-4350-9C23-62A5FBC884D4.jpeg
4B292CA9-21C8-44B7-9670-227CE71ECB5A.jpeg
C8DD5EA8-6F9B-48CF-BC39-9A8C57BD49AA.jpeg
722E624F-2C83-489E-BD0B-389D6206B824.jpeg
6677C85F-B709-4BAE-AA30-ACD2AED3BC47.jpeg
0258908A-49DE-4F76-A194-A550EECF6A72.jpeg
F7954BCC-92EE-4EEF-81F0-1122BD4D80ED.jpeg
5392EB6A-1851-4FBA-8CEB-9FBED36ACE10.jpeg
B2618FAB-A150-44FE-8488-80764B70F3AD.jpeg
5E45A53D-C198-4F63-9720-038EF81E828C.jpeg
044D55D9-3356-4492-882D-10B8BFD55B3A.jpeg

2 Likes

Nice photos. We haven’t been to the new spot, but always had great meals and wines at the restaurant in Roanne.

The pigeon looks fabulous.
That cheese board …damn.
You’re wife is beautiful!

yes, yes, and absolutely yes. An amazing woman.

Looks like an amazing experience, and the personal touch of recreating the dish, wow.

wow. just, wow. i can tell from your writing that you were fighting speechlessness the entire time. well done.

Sounds like a wonderful few days. Great report.
The cheese cart looks remarkable. The asparagus look huge.

Bucket list meal.

Beautiful!

asparagus were huge. Amazingly delicious. First white asparagus of the season. Should be big and delicious. The dish was 110€ when ordered à la carte like that . . .

I wish I were a better writer describing food presentation and flavors. But whatever I’d write would not do justice to the dishes—visuals, texture, flavor, inventiveness, even playfulness, amazing symbiosis of flavors and synesthesia. Has to be experienced. Troisgros is truly a French national treasure.

2 Likes

on the contrary, i think you did a fantastic job.

i’ve only been once and it was indeed a profound experience.

What a wonderful set of pictures. Thanks so much for sharing. The combination of food, setting, hospitality, and wine program make it the world’s most perfect restaurant. I’ve been twice (once in the old spot; once in the new) and I am itching to return again.

what a great post. I got to hit this spot up

Fantastic post and great pics. Thank you. I need to go back!

alan weinberg , may I ask your recommendation on whether to stay in the main house or in the “house of kakis” if spending the night?

Thank you for the lovely and enticing post.

Bucket list restaurant for me

we stayed in main house. Not sure what house of kakis is.

1 Like