Coquille St. Jacques match

Breaking with Easter tradition, we are doing my wife’s favorite dish, Coquille St. Jacques because I’ve got the Nantucket bay scallops, gruyere, and mushrooms ready to go. Wine suggestions? We’ve usually done white burg or chardonnay and I can’t say that it’s been a memorable match. Happy Easter!

Great dish, I’ll leave the wine to others, I just did want to share - perhaps you are pointing out the same force of nature,
The finest Fresh Scallops are the Atlantic Scallops and I’ve a lovely gourmand client who ships us a few pounds
I remember last year they were never frozen, and they lasted (I think) for 1 week, and they are soooo… perfect…
breakfast, lunch, dinner… , butter or Olive Oil, a bit of seasoning, and anything…

One day perhaps Meursault, and the next day Puligny , you cannot go wrong, St. Aubin, if you do not have a source,
The Atlantic scallops are running again The Crab Place® - Carrying the Top 10% of the World's Seafood - Official Site

My friend said to me be certain to order “Premium” those are the Fresh and not Frozen.

Later this summer they have the Gulf Shrimp which as huge and special…

Enjoy

1 Like

Thanks for the recommendation!
I share your enthusiasm. Unless you’ve been in SE New England in late fall/early winter for bay scallops, you haven’t had one of the greatest culinary treats imaginable. It’s well worth planning a trip around the bay scallops season. But keep it quiet.

I agree with the sentiment - Keep it quiet -but there is that feeling again of joy I get by sharing.

How does a scallop run? Pair itself with a wine with legs?

I wondered the same. It appears they do. The Differences Between Clams & Scallops | Sciencing

Isn’t that saying clams have feet and scallops don’t, so scallops cant run (but clams can hobble or walk lol) - they move by jet propulsion (or farting water).
Apologies for opening the rabbit hole, all for a cheap joke.

Sancerre or Vouvray

please try them both and write your tasting notes

So is it too early in thread to say champagne? ( Not sure if there’s a thing about that lol).

Or, if bubbles are deprecated, a top muscadet with lees contact.

I’ve been a guest of fine dinners from professionals who had a far more educated palette then I and they served Champagne … Muscadet sounds lovely

Well we had the dish with a couple of dry rieslings and they not only cut through the richness of the dish with their acidity but the added flavors were almost like a complementary side dish. Sorry I didn’t take notes. Thanks all for the suggestions. Will definitely try some of the suggestion in the future, especially Champagne!

Absolutely fantastic idea - Riesling, as you state cuts through the richness and can bring out so many other flavors as if it is a dish on to itself…
really so pleasurable, what fun wine can be - like painting

I would also go riesling, but consider a really old Spatlese or Auslese…or old Rhone white. I have some 1970 Chante Alouette which I think would be a great match. The richness of the dish would be offset by the acidity, but the aged qualities of the wines would be picked up by the funkiness of the Gruyere. Absolutely pristine scallops would be the key for me…older whites tend to be round and extend the flavors, whereas if there is any fishiness it would need the crisp acidity of younger wines to clear and refresh the palate.

A vote for Chenin Blanc. Love CSJ, may have for lunch mañana.

B68DEABF-9AA4-425E-9828-C1E52FD94229.jpeg

3 Likes