Stale-ass bread lasagna

Found two petrified baguettes my wife had deftly hidden in plain sight. Stiff as baseball bats. Like trailer ramps. Intrigued by making dishes with available stuff as a challenge, I could only nod to the gods: this is a good one. Make them into croutons, I hear you say. Too easy. Bread and butter pudding? Logical step for someone with unchecked insulin resistance (and one of my favorite desserts), but I wanted something savory. Strata? Sure, a possibility, but just too much grandma, somehow. After googling “stale-ass lasagna with old bread” and getting zero hits, I knew I’d found my challenge;)

Proceeded to slice the rock-hard bread into as thin a slices as I dared before they shattered into a million pieces, put them in a pan like lasagna sheets, drizzled oil all over their sorry asses and layered it up exactly like a L (except I didn’t do the mascarpone etc, just a basic white sauce). Only cheese I had was some old cheddar and some Parmesan, a sad substitute, so that’s what ended up in the layers. About 1hr in the oven.

So, how was it? Like a bastard child between a lasagna and a deep pan pizza…and surprisingly edible, actually. I think the family was as shocked as I was at how passable it was. A classic destined for Il Posto? Not really, but certainly a decent meal for almost zero bucks. Even had the leftovers the day after without a revolution or uproar.

Think we drank a Shiba-Wichern to this, so in the end didn’t save a dime. [wink.gif]

IMG_3741.jpg
IMG_3742.jpg

3 Likes

How many layers did you get out of it? Two?

nice save on the stale bread! what’d you cut them with, though? a hatchet?

This is cool, will have to give it a try.

Ha, serrated knifes to the rescue!

Two layers, yes.

Ha! I have the same exact plates.

1 Like