What's your favorite whole duck recipe?

I haven’t roasted a duck in a log time and when I saw a frozen one at the store, I bought it on the theory that it can’t be that bad frozen. Has anyone got any good suggestions for a recipe? AND by the way - there are a lot of halal references on it and a lot of Arabic writing. Anything special about duck and halal meat, or just a coincidence?

These are a few I like:
for a braised duck: Elizabeth David’s Duck with Figs recipe (add chestnuts for added complexity)
Ina Garten roast duck served with kumquat cognac sauce.

My favorite duck recipe.

From the New york times

Thanks Victor.

You are welcome!
Sorry if you can’t view.
That said you need to subscribe to the NYTIMES!
Very reasonable and terrific news!

Whole duck has come out best when I used techniques from Cooks Illustrated to get the leg/thigh cooking sooner or steam to begin rendering fat. In one method, you put it breast side up in a roasting pan with water coming as high as the thighs and boil away until the drumstick reaches at least 145 F. Then you transfer it out of the water and dry roast in the oven. In another method you place it on a roasting rack in a roaster with enough water to steam the bird (bird is above the water on the rack) and cover it all tightly with Al foil and steam it for some time. Then you remove the foil and water and roast. I can send my notes if anyone is interested in either of these two.

I really like this one, the braised olives are just delicious.

My recipe is simple. Go to a Chinese grocery store. Buy a duck. Take it home. Cut into pieces. Eat.

This is almost correct. The correct procedure has the purveyor chop up the duck for you. Never seen a place that wouldn’t.

Yes, but the OP requested a WHOLE duck recipe.

1 Like

Ok guys, I am now sufficiently inspired to run, not walk, to the Cary Grand Asia Market near me for a WHOLE duck.

GrandAsiaMarket-HangingRoastDuck.jpg

I have never bought one of those ducks but I have always yearned after one. How do you prep them once you get home? Anyone have a good suggestion as to where to get the best ones in New York? There was a place on Mott Street called Big Wong that was supposed to have the best duck, but I bought a cut up duck there once and it was just OK.

I always turn to the “Amazing 5 Hour Duck” recipe when I want to roast a duck. I find it works best with ducks that weigh more than 5 pounds. I haven’t made this for some time, but as I recall I cooked the duck closer to 250 degrees for the first four hours instead of the 300 suggested in the recipe.