Monday morning first world questions . . .

Do you peel your portobello, cremini, button mushrooms? If the answer is yes, get thee to Restaurant Depot (if you have a card) for the portobello sale.

Can you buy that huge “lump” of hydroponic basel at Wegman’s and replant it in regular dirt in a pot in your back yard?

So you bought that pot of mint and planted it in a huge planter two weeks ago and it looks pretty. Now what do you do with it?

What’s the best use for the two cubic feet of extra rice that they gave you when you ordered out Indian food for 6 people because that’s what wife and DIL wanted for Mother’s Day?

Yes, you can plant the hydroponic basil, I have done this

Fried rice on the leftover rice, although I admit I’ve never tried doing that with basmati.

Mint is fantastic in cocktails.

Agreed on fried rice. You can also make congee/jook (we use loads of ginger in ours).

Mint grows like a weed. I planted one of those cheap grocery store mints about 5 years ago and despite no watering or anything, just grows like crazy. Even after long dry spells where it all whittles to nothing, they still come back at first rain. Amazingly resilient.

I claim to be the only person east of the Mississippi who has ever killed mint (someone must have killed it in the Arizona desert) - which I did a few years ago when I planted it in a small strip of dirt between my deck and the swimming pool. However, heeding the advice of those wiser than I, I planted this mint in a large planter and then said, “Nah Nah, try to get out of that one.” It is actually a very pretty colored leaf and I think I will make Tabouleh with it.

1 Like

I also forgot to ask:

What should I do with the three rosemary plants I have gotten this year, since every time I go to the store and they are selling one for $2.99, I feel sorry for the little bugger and buy it to give it a good home at my house?

Is using the rosemary an option, or are you only looking to get rid of the whole plant? Assuming the former, rosemary works well as a seasoning for lamb and chicken and, coincidentally, both would work with tabouleh. Rosemary is also great on roasted potatoes.

Finally, rosemary also works nicely in cocktails. It’s a great garnish and you can create a rosemary simple syrup will add an interesting twist on cocktails, such as a mojito.

All correct. And I will add gin and tonics for cocktails and focaccia and other breads for rosemary

EDIT

At Ottolenghi tonight
4662A33A-29EF-4A46-BD61-3975E7FBD33A.jpeg

Mint is also good in coffee.

Huh?

What’s the best use for the two cubic feet of extra rice that they gave you when you ordered out Indian food for 6 people because that’s what wife and DIL wanted for Mother’s Day?

Bag it in small ziplocks and hang out at the neighborhood boat ramp. $5 a bag

Obviously speaking to an amateur. There is a skin on the top of button and portobello and other similar mushrooms. You can peel it off. it allows more of the water to release and I believe that it ultimately intensifies the flavor. When I am making stuffed mushrooms I do it because of the water release unless I have time to roast them before stuffing them.

I don’t peel mushrooms, I cook with them all the time.

Rice: make a big batch of basic fried rice with only veggies, portion it out, and freeze it. When you’re ready to eat it, throw a lump in your wok/skillet, add your protein, and you’re good to go.

Mint: as mentioned above, whatever you do, DON’T put it in the ground. I’ll take over.

Same. In fact this is the first I’ve ever heard of it.

I think this is already cooked rice, vs dry moisture absorbing rice.

“Life is too short to stuff a mushroom” Shirley Conran, 1975.

Mint is under-used in cooking here in the west. Here are two smaller items I do very often:

Libanese lentil salad:
Green lentils. Cook them al dente, let them cool. Add cumin, garlic, salt, chopped mint and parsley in equal amounts, lemon juice. Amazingly good.

Tomatoes with mint and garlic:
Just sliced tomatoes with razor-thinly sliced garlic and mint. Olive oil, salt, tiniest bit of lemon juice. Goes with every Mediterranean dish.

I can’t eat lentils because of the carbs but this looks interesting. My mint plant, growing vigorously in a 2 food diameter pot with plenty of room but unable to pollute the rest of the world, is very vibrant and looks great. I got an heirloom tomato at Stew Leonards on Saturday that is just sitting there getting ripe. I think I will try this tomorrow as a salad. Thanks.