One dinner in Toronto

My wife and I will be in Toronto for one evening with no plans. We are staying in Yorkville. What are the most interesting restaurants in Toronto these days?

In the travel thread under Toronto. Some recent postings.

Correction some posts here from Tran.

Restaurant Pomoette. Heading back to Restaurant Pearl Morissette for my 40th bday.

You should DM or email Mike Grammer. He lives in North York and we all know he loves a great restaurant and a great bottle of wine.

How far out is this? Some places need to be booked in advance.

We are going July 22.

You have some time at least. I’m not that up to speed post Covid trouble years, but have heard these places have bounced back well and would be my top 3 for an overall experience - Edulis, Alo or Scaramouche. All are core enough if staying in the city. Josh upthread mentions (I think) Pompette, which is also warranted.
For just the food, maybe some others, depending on cuisine interests. For just the wine list, certainly others.

I think in general it’s tougher to get reservations, especially on weekends most cities.

You’re right, but a lot of Toronto is gone (up north) in mid July. Specifically the clientele of these 3 spots. Alo uses Tock and you need to be pretty quick when they release the block of dates, but I believe the others just take normal reso’s

Toronto residents know better than to go to Algonquin in late June/early July. I went on a canoe trip that involved portaging. Impressive mosquitos on the portages, had to wear rain gear and head nets. We had too much crap and had to double back to get a second load.

No, Toronto doesn’t go to Algonquin. Toronto goes to the cottage.

2 Likes

It depends on what you want for interesting. Alo is probably Toronto’s best restaurant in so far as it will maybe get two Michelin stars in the fall. But only interesting if you’re looking for small plate tasting menu modernist cuisine.

20 Victoria is getting a lot of praise.

Richmond station is always solid.

In Yorkville cafe boulud and One are solid. Sushi Masaki Saito is right there as well and probably worth two stars. Sotto sotto and Joso’s are right there and have been seen and be seen for decades. Italian and fish respectively.

[winner.gif] Blackflies are over by late June. Since COVID we’ve worked from our cottage for all of July. Pockets of Toronto are markedly quieter in July and August.

Rob–Thanks. The Yorkville suggestions will work well.

I would agree with the ones mentioned (especially Edulis, Alo, Boulud, 20 Victoria) and add Giulietta (not personally been but I’m super keen to go) and someone I very much respect highly recommends Quetzal.

I haven’t lived in Toronto for a long while, but I am impressed that Scaramouche is still around - and even more impressed that it’s still worthy of a mention! I think I was last there in the late '90s.

I have been searching for some places and liked the descriptions I found on Eater -

Other folks recommend Alo and Aloette -
And Canoe - all downtown.

It’s not exactly avant garde, but still a very classy room and setting and good for those staying in yorkville

Canoe is nice, but being in the financial district, sometimes feels a bit barren on a weekend night. Better for lunch, unless you go for the views.
Aloette is a small space and diner style. There are tables along the windows, but I’ve only ever sat at the barstools. Very limited menu & wine list, so again - better for lunch to me.