I’ve finally found it… wine match for pesto

Is there are more challenging wine match than pesto? OK, barring horseradish or red chile. I’ve tried for years and years to find a good wine match for pesto and been ok with some results but never really pleased. I’ve tried a huge range of wines and while some were ok none ever complemented the food nor the food the wine. I think I’ve got it. This time it was Tempier rose and a Bedrock Ode to Lulu. I think any rose with a saline character would work, but not one with a primary fruit emphasis. Very nice flavor bridge that refreshed the palate between bites of linguine/pesto. Should have done this years ago. Cheers.

1 Like

In this Guild of Sommelier podcast, a Napa somm identifies pesto and pasta as a successful cabernet pairing and one that they recommend frequently to vegetarian diners for whom finding good pairings for Napa cab can be challenging.

I am planning to try this and would be interested to know if anyone has given it a shot.

http://guildpodcast.com/food-wine-pairing

Try a good Ligurian white like Punta Crena Mataossu or Pigato. That’s where pesto comes from.

2 Likes

I like a crisp, minerally Gruner with traditional pesto.

Well I can see a connection there. Parmesan goes with cab blends and there’s a good deal of parmesan in pesto. Sometimes I’ll have parmesan on a cheese plate if there are mature cabs, about the only time parmesan will show up in a tasting.

1 Like