Calabrian peppers - my new obsession

Bought some canned Calabrian peppers (relish, technically - finely chopped) for a forthcoming recipe (shrimp in purgatory) and had to try them. Now I’m basically obsessed, adding them to everything from eggs to dinner to whatever I might otherwise have with hot sauce.

How hot are these compared to jalapeños?

They are in oil, so I imagine that takes a bit of the bright kick out of them - it’s more a flavor thing, I guess. If you see them, buy them, try them out. I ordered online and they will become a frequent purchase for me, for sure. Jalapenos are just a completely different animal - so hard to compare.

Even though I’m from Texas I do not like the flavor profile of jalapeños, I still love most Mexican Tex/Mex though. But I prefer Asian hot compared to jalapeños, your reco might be perfect.

I’m with you. I can’t get enough of this stuff:

I usually avoid TJ’s because it’s always so busy, and the locations near me have zero parking, but this stuff is almost trip-worthy.

Oh snap, didn’t know TJs had some!! Makes it much easier for me!

I bought this one, love it

Whole Foods has some as well. I use the whole and the paste and the oil…
As to spice level, they are relatively spicy without the vegetal component you get from Jalopeno and Serrano. I’ll guess about 3 or 4 times a Jalop.

1 Like

hmm I think it’s time for another Arthur Ave shopping trip…

Todd, that one from amazon is what I’ve been using for years. Absolutely love it.

No love for Pastene Hot Crushed Peppers aka ‘hots’?

We make a batch of spicy Calabrian sausage once or twice a year with the Tutto to go with caramelized leeks on homemade pizza. Otherwise use them in salads.

Bobby Flay has made a career of Calabrian chiles, among other things. He’s been using them on his various shows for decades.

One of my guilty pleasures is the show “Beat Bobby Flay”. It’s one of his not so secret weapons.

Yeah, we watch it almost every night that we watch TV. That and Iron Chef reruns are the only thing we watch anymore.

Similar in heat to a cayenne pepper - 25000 to 40000 on the scovil chart.

I’ve also been using the Tutto Calabria brand for years. I use the crushed peppers, though, rather than the pate. Great over noodles with fennel sausage and purple onion.

Can not go wrong with adding Calabrian peppers, harissa, or chili crisp to improve flavor of just about anything, just moderate amount if heat adverse.

I like take a little of the above-posted TJ Bomba and mix it with some mayo for a pretty killer little french fry dipping sauce.

I like the same brand, but I’ve usually used the whole ones.

My other two go-to red pepper products for flavor without too much heat are Aleppo and Piment D’Espelette.

1 Like

Any suggestions for flavor without much heat?

1 Like