Why is this forum mostly dead?

Asking for a friend.

Fatal heart attacks and strokes from eating too much red meat.

Ask people who put threads about orange fleshed honeydew melons in the The Asylum instead of here (I’m looking at you maureen nelson :wink:

1 Like

I confess, I have never looked at this forum. I will start now!

1 Like

Martin has some great recipes, he’s giving it a pulse IMHO

1 Like

I do what I can…

I thought is was less dead before things started getting shunted off to Travel, Wine Tourism, and Restaurants.

1 Like

^this. The forum split saw traffic in this forum go down a ton

1 Like

I will never understand why we have an Epicurean Thread with restaurant info and a Travel thread with Restaurant info? I think it creates a lot of confusion. Epicurean by definition involves eating and drinking!

Yes, but even Martin has not been around for a while.

There are two kinds of foodies. Those who know how to cook the most delicious smoked brisket and those who know which restaurant has the most delicious smoked brisket. That’s the split.

1 Like

Thread titles like this serve no benefit, of course, but perhaps that’s Jay’s mindset in posting it, who knows.

When traveling, one typically eats at restaurants, so it’s hard to differentiate them properly - we didn’t move ANY threads over to the renamed forum, fyi. I could combine all of them in one but that makes no sense: Travel, Wine Tourism, Restaurants, Recipes?? The ‘old’ style was all food related threads in one forum - recipes and restaurants, but most often people were talking about restaurants while traveling, so if they were traveling somewhere, and had info about restaurants, where would they post? Travel and Tourism or Food? Most often those restaurant threads within the context of a trip somewhere had a combination of information on the trip itself (often including winery visits, etc) as well as mentioning the restaurant.

So, with that in mind, what’s the solution, all?

Todd,
Everyone eats but not everyone cooks.
Everyone eats, but not everyone travels.
Those that travel don’t necessarily post on restaurants, travel experiences etc. as that may not be the focus.
I post more frequently in this forum, primarily because we eat out a little less, Mobile has become somewhat BYOB unfriendly, I can’t drink as much wine as I used to so put more effort into the food.
All that to say, it would be nice to see more food posts here. I tend to not post recipes for the food I cook unless asked.
I therefore have no solution, but would definitely like to see more traffic.
Just out of curiosity, how do the page views for this thread stack up?

Todd - Thank you for asking. As a frequent contributor to the restaurant city threads I would first prefer them all in one place. For example you have NYC in the travel section and most others in epicurean. I would vote for Epicurean. I tend to think of travel as airlines, hotels, points, questions around itineraries etc. My interest in food whether its in a restaurant in LA, NY, Paris etc. or cooking at home is the same. Hope that helps.

2 Likes

Sarah and Elliot have set the bar so high the rest of us are intimidated.

4 Likes

One forum for food, travel and restaurants. It’s all the same thing. Where to stay, where to eat.

To my point above, not necessarily, as many of the food topics are recipes/ingredients - nothing really to do with travel

I’ve been meaning to move all the restaurant threads to travel. Just been lazy. So will get off my butt now and do it.

2 Likes

I never surf individual fora anymore, just new posts. I don’t know what forum I am clicking into until maybe later.

In terms of starting threads, no one wants that as we all know I have little of value to say

Not to mention kitchen equipment, which is definitely not travel.