Grilling Pizza stones?

Been messing around with the oven and pizza. But I did a test on my Weber and It seems I can get it to about 700 degrees on my Summit. Can pizza stones take that temp? I thought about using some bricks, but they are glazed, and I don’t think I like the idea of direct placement on the grates. So what are your Ideas? what are you doing ? I’m sure this is something a few people would be interested in… Improvising !!

Paul

You can get unglazed tiles from hardware/tile/Home Depot. Often called “quarry tiles.” They are cheap and can take the heat. I broke numerous pizza stones on my grill. Also, since these are 4x4 tiles, you can arrange to cover larger space.

A.

The pizza stone should be able to take the heat, but if you remove the stone from the grill and cool it too fast then it will crack (i.e. you are pretty much stuck leaving the stone on the grill and letting it cool).

I’ve been getting great results from my 2StonePizzaGrill. I can recommend it.

Best,

Andrew

http://www.2stonepg.com/2stone-pizza-gril.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That link is to Fibrament, which is the company my stone is made by. It can take the heat.

http://www.bakingstone.com/grilling.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I resorted to a larger grill, and put pizza on the side away from the direct flames.

I first flop the dough straight on the grills, 15-30 secs on both sides, just enough to firm it a little. The I top the pizza and cook on the side away from the flames. Got it down to an art.

The other key is to drink a Zin while doing all of this.

[welldone.gif]

I’ve cracked/ broken 1 stone from use on my gas grill. Left it on the grill untouched to cool down, but a piece cracked off as soon as I picked it up later. Either fluke or cumulative fatigue from repeated use at high temp.

I look for cheap ones now and buy with the knowledge that they’ll crack within 10 uses.

What’s your problem with putting the dough directly on the grates? I’ve never had an issue with this and the grill marks are beautiful.

Tim,
Relax…its just not my style.
I’m glad it works for you. BUT… I actually want a heat sink, that will allow the top to catch up with the lower dough. you asked!!

I’m relaxed. [cheers.gif]

I go with the flip method. I grill one side, flip it, add my toppings and then let it cook for a bit. I just asked because I think sometimes people are afraid that the dough will fall through the grates. (that’s all)

I considered putting a stone out there, but I like it the way it is too much to even bother…

Thanks Tim… [truce.gif] I 'm up early checking on my smoking pork shoulder ( 5:15 AM )…

Paulie,

I haven’t used a stone on the grill. I’ve done the flip method with great success. Gets both sides of the dough done. Will be interested to see what you find that works. Somebody (Sur La Table? W-S?) sells a pizza stone for the grill.

I have a BGE pizza stone. Usually I take it off and set it on the concrete when I’m done if I’m moving on to cook more things, I have never had a cracking problem. It has chipped on some corners, but that’s my fault from handling. My complaint is that it’s an inch or two in diameter too small for what I usually end up with for my pizzas.

Other than that, I have no complaints. It’s grilled pizza season!

Creuset made a pizza pan - that would work, I think. Or just a large Creuset pan - like their two-sided griddle.

When I do grill pies, I stretch the dough out as best I can right on medium hot grates. 30-45 seconds, flip. 30-45 seconds, off. Put it on a pizza pan, load up and back on until chesse is melted. Then remove the pan and get to the doneness I want.

I have built a ‘tent’ that sits directly (1 inch) above the pie funneling the heat to the top of the pie and NOT the top of the Weber. Jeff Varasano recco’d this to me, and it works.

It’s not rocket science, but remember this: rockets don’t taste as good. [training.gif]

MIke,

Can you get me a picture of that “Tent” set-up… TIA

Paul

Got this for Father’s Day a few years back and absolutely love it…works great.

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/pizza-que-grill-stone/?pkey=x|4|1||4|pizza%20stone||0&cm_src=SCH" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I grilled pizza directly on the grates of my Weber last week. Check my blog for pictures. The only draw back to the grilled method is the dough takes on a shape like flatbread (Naan). I prefer to have the bottom of my pizza flat (instead of bumpy like flatbread) and I was also thinking about placing stones/tiles next to the charcoal on the top grate of my Weber. Do you think quarry tiles can take the heat if they are placed right next to the charcoal? I may try this method this week.