Veronica Castro
GCC Member
GCC Member

In-N-Out Burger coming to Texas

#1 Post by Veronica Castro » May 26th, 2010, 10:09 am

FYI [bye.gif]

http://fastfood.freedomblogging.com/201 ... xas/62545/

In-N-Out Burger to open restaurants in Texas

The rumors have been flying around cyberspace for months about the possibility of In-N-Out Burger expanding its empire to Texas.

On Wednesday, I finally got confirmation that Southern California’s most beloved burger chain is seeking approval to open fast-food units in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area.

“Yes, we are working on a few locations in the Dallas/Ft. Worth market and Garland is one of them,” In-N-Out executive Carl Van Fleet said, referring to a city near Dallas. “While we are very enthusiastic about the opportunities there, our Dallas area plans are still in the early stages.”

Expansion to the Lone Star state has huge operational implications for the iconic burger chain, whose 240 locations in four states are supported by one beef processing plant in Baldwin Park. In previous interviews with the Register, In-N-Out has maintained that the key to its success is quality control.

At the meat commissary in Baldwin Park, butchers mix a proprietary blend of ground beef from local suppliers. That “secret” blend of fresh, not frozen, meat is sent to each restaurant every other day.

In 2006, In-N-Out told the Register it would not consider spreading stores beyond 500 miles of its commissary because it would require the chain to open a second hub or have longer cycles between delivery runs, all of which would reduce quality control.

“It’s not even negotiable,” the chain told the Register.

Van Fleet, vice president of planning and development at In-N-Out, said the 1,500-mile move to Texas will force the chain to build a “new patty production facility and distribution center.”

“It is far enough away that we will have to open a new one there as we remain committed to making our own hamburger patties and maintaining the same operating philosophies and standards that have been in place for 62 years,” he said. “We’ll have a Dallas area facility to produce patties locally and provide support for our restaurants there.”

Van Fleet said the new facility would support at least a “few” restaurant sites in Texas. He declined to say exactly how many restaurants the chain could open in the region. The first Texas restaurant is slated to open in Firewheel Town Center in Garland, Texas, according to Dallas food blog SideDish. The city is about 13 miles from Dallas.

It’s too soon to discuss an opening date for the restaurant, Van Fleet said.
itb
hi-time wine cellars

Tom Gutting

Re: In-N-Out Burger coming to Texas

#2 Post by Tom Gutting » May 26th, 2010, 11:34 am

That "few" better include Houston, dammit.
"If you have extraordinary bread and extraordinary butter, it's hard to beat bread and butter." -- Jacques Pepin

Linda Baehr
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by Linda Baehr » May 26th, 2010, 11:37 am

If they can't find cows in Texas, they aren't trying hard enough. newhere
ITB..................................but you guys knew that already, right?
Check out my Artwork Album on my Facebook page!
Buy a painting from a starving artist!

PauLeenda2020

John Kight

#4 Post by John Kight » May 26th, 2010, 2:38 pm

P. Robert wrote:I posted on Toms FB page yesterday... "Garland??????"

WTF?
Arland, Texas....home of the MegaLow Mart....

M. Dildine
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by M. Dildine » May 26th, 2010, 3:33 pm

Shocking when something from So Cal can actually benefit Texas.

Texas - here is my advice. Accept the In-Out-Burger. Be very skeptical about anything else LA offers! pileon
Cheers,

Mike

Lance Cerutti

#6 Post by Lance Cerutti » May 26th, 2010, 4:12 pm

So lucky....wish they would expand East. At least we have White Castle.
ITB

Bob Wood
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by Bob Wood » May 26th, 2010, 4:45 pm

Poor Texans. [snort.gif]
"Do you want to sell sugar water for the rest of your life, or do you want to come with me and change the world?" - Steve Jobs, 1983

Linda Baehr
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by Linda Baehr » May 26th, 2010, 4:51 pm

Bob Wood wrote:Poor Texans. [snort.gif]
Bah. Double double animal style. Anything else and you're doing it wrong. [snort.gif]

PauLeenda2020

Cris Whetstone
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by Cris Whetstone » May 26th, 2010, 4:54 pm

I hope they are able to keep any influence Texas might have on them from being carried back this way. neener
WetRock

"Man prefers to believe what he prefers to be true." - Francis Bacon

"I had taken two finger-bowls of champagne and the scene had changed before my eyes into something significant, elemental, and profound." - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

DavidSawyer

#10 Post by DavidSawyer » May 26th, 2010, 7:12 pm

I think we need to make a weekend out of the grand opening in Dallas. I'd definitely come up.

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#11 Post by Randy Bowman » May 26th, 2010, 7:32 pm

Can't warm up to In-N-Out burgers. No Bacon!! [snort.gif] [snort.gif]
IN THE BUSINESS SHILL: An associate of a person selling goods, who pretends no association to the seller and assumes the air of an enthusiastic customer.

Joe Dulworth
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12 Post by Joe Dulworth » May 27th, 2010, 4:59 am

Garland? WTF?!? [swearing.gif]
wineismylife

Wine is like potato chips around me...if it's open, it's gone.

MyBlog @ wineismylife net

John Kight

#13 Post by John Kight » May 27th, 2010, 12:57 pm

DavidSawyer wrote:I think we need to make a weekend out of the grand opening in Dallas. I'd definitely come up.
That sounds great--an offline event held in the parking lot of In-N-Out, to celebrate their opening? Or, if it's this summer (and too hot), we can perhaps pay "corkage" to have the offline inside?

Bill Tex Landreth

#14 Post by Bill Tex Landreth » May 27th, 2010, 12:59 pm

John Kight wrote:
DavidSawyer wrote:I think we need to make a weekend out of the grand opening in Dallas. I'd definitely come up.
That sounds great--an offline event held in the parking lot of In-N-Out, to celebrate their opening? Or, if it's this summer (and too hot), we can perhaps pay "corkage" to have the offline inside?
We pulled this off two years ago with thirteen people in Vegas. My bet is that it won't fly here in Dallas either inside or outside. I am up, however, for a In-N-Out run for lunch and then a real wine event for dinner.
It's not easy being drunk all the time. Everyone would be doing it if it were easy.

Tom Blackwood

#15 Post by Tom Blackwood » May 27th, 2010, 1:47 pm

The scripture references on the packaging should go over well in the Bible belt [worship.gif]
(ITB)

Linda Baehr
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16 Post by Linda Baehr » May 27th, 2010, 1:57 pm

Bill Tex Landreth wrote:
John Kight wrote:
We pulled this off two years ago with thirteen people in Vegas. My bet is that it won't fly here in Dallas either inside or outside. I am up, however, for a In-N-Out run for lunch and then a real wine event for dinner.
Even had a cop pull up and sit there for a bit.
Vegas RULES!

PauLeenda2020

S Haller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17 Post by S Haller » June 2nd, 2010, 9:01 pm

Bill Tex Landreth wrote:We pulled this off two years ago with thirteen people in Vegas. My bet is that it won't fly here in Dallas either inside or outside. I am up, however, for a In-N-Out run for lunch and then a real wine event for dinner.
It can work. We just need T-bone to "borrow" an RV and we can have the offline inside of the RV in front of In-N-Out. You know he can make that happen! neener
Scott Haller

"I have all the characteristics of a human being, flesh, blood, skin, hair, but not a single clear identifiable emotion except for greed and disgust."

Bill Tex Landreth

#18 Post by Bill Tex Landreth » June 3rd, 2010, 8:53 am

S Haller wrote:
Bill Tex Landreth wrote:We pulled this off two years ago with thirteen people in Vegas. My bet is that it won't fly here in Dallas either inside or outside. I am up, however, for a In-N-Out run for lunch and then a real wine event for dinner.
It can work. We just need T-bone to "borrow" an RV and we can have the offline inside of the RV in front of In-N-Out. You know he can make that happen! neener

Well, stranger things have happened.
It's not easy being drunk all the time. Everyone would be doing it if it were easy.

Veronica Castro
GCC Member
GCC Member

#19 Post by Veronica Castro » October 4th, 2010, 8:04 am

Another In-N-Out slated for Texas. [snort.gif]

http://fastfood.ocregister.com/2010/10/ ... xas/75598/

In-N-Out: new restaurants under way in OC and Texas

Irvine-based In-N-Out Burger is keeping construction crews busy in Southern California and Texas.
The chain is proceeding with its Texas expansion, and recently began work on its new Costa Mesa location. The shuttered Kaplan’s Deli building on Harbor Boulevard was torn down, and is being rebuilt as an In-N-Out. (Thanks to reader Mike for submitting the above photo.)

Carl Van Fleet, executive vice president of planning and development for the chain, said he expects the Costa Mesa location to open in November or December.
In the meantime, In-N-Out has inked another deal in Texas. As you recall, the chain made buzz around the country when it announced plans to open its first restaurants in the Lone Star State. In May, the chain confirmed plans for a restaurant in Garland, Texas.

Van Fleet said it now has plans to open another restaurant in Ft. Worth “on the corner of West 7th St. and Currie.”

It’s unclear which community (Garland or Ft. Worth) will hold bragging rights to opening the first In-N-Out Burger. In Ft. Worth, the chain will compete with a local burger favorite, Fred’s Texas Cafe, according to a Dallas-area dining blog.

“We don’t have a time line for the opening of any sites in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area yet,” Van Fleet said. “Once we begin construction, it usually takes about 4 to 5 months to build a restaurant and we are still some time away from starting construction.”
itb
hi-time wine cellars

M. Dildine
GCC Member
GCC Member

#20 Post by M. Dildine » October 4th, 2010, 10:08 am

An In-N-Out is scheduled for construction in Seaside (no fast food in Carmel or Pebble Beach), but it keeps getting delayed. [swearing.gif]

It just seems right that the Monterey Penninsula should get one before Texas???
Cheers,

Mike

Joe Dulworth
GCC Member
GCC Member

#21 Post by Joe Dulworth » October 7th, 2010, 7:29 am

I heard at one point that In-N-Out was not going to come to Texas after all but apparently not only are they coming there will be up to 8 locations in the relatively near future.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent ... 933ed.html
wineismylife

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#22 Post by Brian Tuite » October 7th, 2010, 8:26 am

Veronica Castro wrote: “We don’t have a time line for the opening of any sites in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area yet,” Van Fleet said. “Once we begin construction, it usually takes about 4 to 5 months to build a restaurant and we are still some time away from starting construction.”
Ground breaking here in Santa Rosa began in mid-July and the restaurant is about a week from opening. I have never in my life seen a commercial project go up so fast in Santa Rosa. In-N-Out must have a building inspector on retainer because nothing moves this fast in this town. Just amazing what money can buy.
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

"Something so subtle only I can detect it." ~ Randy Bowman

2019 WOTY...

Bob Wood
GCC Member
GCC Member

#23 Post by Bob Wood » October 7th, 2010, 10:26 am

Brian Tuite wrote:Just amazing what money can buy.
Yup . . . almost anything except a good burger at In-N-Out. [stirthepothal.gif]
"Do you want to sell sugar water for the rest of your life, or do you want to come with me and change the world?" - Steve Jobs, 1983

Linda Baehr
GCC Member
GCC Member

#24 Post by Linda Baehr » October 7th, 2010, 12:44 pm

Bob Wood wrote:

rolleyes

PauLeenda2020

Tyler Rico

#25 Post by Tyler Rico » October 7th, 2010, 12:46 pm

Bob Wood wrote:
next on the menu is glazed bagels.... just for you pileon

Bob Wood
GCC Member
GCC Member

#26 Post by Bob Wood » October 7th, 2010, 1:11 pm

Sorry, you two. I had my first, last and only Double Double last year in Napa. Underwhelming at best.

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#27 Post by c fu » October 7th, 2010, 1:16 pm

Bob Wood wrote:Sorry, you two. I had my first, last and only Double Double last year in Napa. Underwhelming at best.
it was not even $3! what does one expect!?
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/clayfu.wine

Tyler Rico

#28 Post by Tyler Rico » October 7th, 2010, 1:24 pm

Charlie Fu wrote:
Bob Wood wrote:Sorry, you two. I had my first, last and only Double Double last year in Napa. Underwhelming at best.
it was not even $3! what does one expect!?
exactly!

you are expecting too much! Put it next to a mc'whatever or a whopper and let me know what you think.

it is really high quality fast food, not a gourmet burger.

Bob Wood
GCC Member
GCC Member

#29 Post by Bob Wood » October 7th, 2010, 2:01 pm

I'm AWARE it's fast food boys, and I'll take the Whopper. Seriously. We also have a place here called Burgerville, and they serve a Tillamook cheeseburger that kicks a Double Double down the block and around the corner.

Joe Dulworth
GCC Member
GCC Member

#30 Post by Joe Dulworth » October 7th, 2010, 2:30 pm

Bob, you would seriously take a Whopper over an In-N-Out burger? Maybe Whoppers are better up there where you're at but every time I've been in a situation where I had to eat one over the past several years of travel they have flat out sucked. You'd be better served using one as a paint brush to paint the walls of your house rather than actually eat one.

Burgerville was pretty good the time I ate there but aren't they still fairly small and local? Not sure how that compares to a much large 5 state operation. Maybe I'm just whack.
wineismylife

Tyler Rico

#31 Post by Tyler Rico » October 7th, 2010, 2:37 pm

Joe Dulworth wrote: Burgerville was pretty good the time I ate there but aren't they still fairly small and local? Not sure how that compares to a much large 5 state operation. Maybe I'm just whack.
less than 40 locations through two states

damn near impossible to compare the two

Bob Wood
GCC Member
GCC Member

#32 Post by Bob Wood » October 7th, 2010, 3:59 pm

Tyler Rico wrote:
Joe Dulworth wrote: Burgerville was pretty good the time I ate there but aren't they still fairly small and local? Not sure how that compares to a much large 5 state operation. Maybe I'm just whack.
less than 40 locations through two states

damn near impossible to compare the two
Joe, you're not whack. They're regional.

Tico, yes one CAN compare the two unless you're willing to let size be an excuse for declining quality. Otherwise, why bother to compare the beef available at Safeway with what you can get from Flannery?

gene keenan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#33 Post by gene keenan » October 7th, 2010, 7:20 pm

I wish they would come to the stock market....
Jerry loved well aged BV Private Reserve Georges De Latour

Kris Patten
GCC Member
GCC Member

#34 Post by Kris Patten » October 7th, 2010, 7:40 pm

Joe Dulworth wrote:Bob, you would seriously take a Whopper over an In-N-Out burger? Maybe Whoppers are better up there where you're at but every time I've been in a situation where I had to eat one over the past several years of travel they have flat out sucked. You'd be better served using one as a paint brush to paint the walls of your house rather than actually eat one.

Burgerville was pretty good the time I ate there but aren't they still fairly small and local? Not sure how that compares to a much large 5 state operation. Maybe I'm just whack.
If you eat a Whopper, I guarantee you'll paint something.....the porcelain in your bathroom!
ITB

Linda Baehr
GCC Member
GCC Member

#35 Post by Linda Baehr » October 7th, 2010, 7:57 pm

Studies have shown that men over 50 start to lose their ability to taste pretty dramatically.

Just sayin'. [snort.gif]

PauLeenda2020

Reese Ferry
GCC Member
GCC Member

#36 Post by Reese Ferry » October 8th, 2010, 8:18 am

Kris Patten wrote:
Joe Dulworth wrote:Bob, you would seriously take a Whopper over an In-N-Out burger? Maybe Whoppers are better up there where you're at but every time I've been in a situation where I had to eat one over the past several years of travel they have flat out sucked. You'd be better served using one as a paint brush to paint the walls of your house rather than actually eat one.

If you eat a Whopper, I guarantee you'll paint something.....the porcelain in your bathroom!

Paint... ? or Stucco! [rofl.gif]

Reese

Bob Wood
GCC Member
GCC Member

#37 Post by Bob Wood » October 8th, 2010, 10:25 am

Linda Baehr wrote:Studies have shown that men over 50 start to lose their ability to taste pretty dramatically.

Just sayin'. [snort.gif]
Says the woman who did extended time in those gustatory capitals of the world, Little Rock and Fresno. [rofl.gif]

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#38 Post by Todd F r e n c h » October 8th, 2010, 10:35 am

Bob Wood wrote:
Linda Baehr wrote:Studies have shown that men over 50 start to lose their ability to taste pretty dramatically.

Just sayin'. [snort.gif]
Says the woman who did extended time in those gustatory capitals of the world, Little Rock and Fresno. [rofl.gif]
How would reading a study be made somehow ineffective due to the cuisine of an area local to the person reading them?
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

Linda Baehr
GCC Member
GCC Member

#39 Post by Linda Baehr » October 8th, 2010, 12:57 pm

Bob Wood wrote:

Just sayin'. [snort.gif]
Fayetteville (where I lived) is in northwest Arkansas. Little Rock is in the middle of the state. I can PM you a map if you'd like. [wow.gif] [snort.gif]

PauLeenda2020

Bob Wood
GCC Member
GCC Member

#40 Post by Bob Wood » October 8th, 2010, 2:12 pm

Linda Baehr wrote:
Bob Wood wrote:

Just sayin'. [snort.gif]
Fayetteville (where I lived) is in northwest Arkansas. Little Rock is in the middle of the state. I can PM you a map if you'd like. [wow.gif] [snort.gif]
That's right. My brain fart. You lived right there near to Springdale, Bentonville and Rogers. Been there. Hooters was upscale.

Bob Wood
GCC Member
GCC Member

#41 Post by Bob Wood » October 8th, 2010, 2:13 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
Bob Wood wrote:

Just sayin'. [snort.gif]
How would reading a study be made somehow ineffective due to the cuisine of an area local to the person reading them?
If I have to explain it . . . [berserker.gif]

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#42 Post by Todd F r e n c h » October 8th, 2010, 2:21 pm

Bob Wood wrote:
Todd F r e n c h wrote:
Bob Wood wrote: Says the woman who did extended time in those gustatory capitals of the world, Little Rock and Fresno. [rofl.gif]
If I have to explain it . . . [berserker.gif]
You'd first have to figure it out...
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

Linda Baehr
GCC Member
GCC Member

#43 Post by Linda Baehr » October 8th, 2010, 3:48 pm

Bob Wood wrote:
Linda Baehr wrote:
Bob Wood wrote: Says the woman who did extended time in those gustatory capitals of the world, Little Rock and Fresno. [rofl.gif]
That's right. My brain fart. You lived right there near to Springdale, Bentonville and Rogers. Been there. Hooters was upscale.
I worked in two of the best restaurants in the area- one of them run by a James Beard award winner. neener

PauLeenda2020

Brent C l a y t o n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#44 Post by Brent C l a y t o n » October 8th, 2010, 4:07 pm

Bob Wood, meet Stephen Polman...

‘Purveyor of Plonk’
Threadsinker
ITB Sales
IG@bigdaddyb420wine

Bob Wood
GCC Member
GCC Member

#45 Post by Bob Wood » October 8th, 2010, 4:17 pm

Brent Clayton wrote:Bob Wood, meet Stephen Polman...

[rofl.gif] Well played.

Cris Whetstone
GCC Member
GCC Member

#46 Post by Cris Whetstone » October 9th, 2010, 10:59 am

Brent Clayton wrote:Bob Wood, meet Stephen Polman...

[pwn.gif] [rofl.gif]

I haven't had a Whopper in ab out 10 years. Did they improve somehow? [shock.gif]
WetRock

"Man prefers to believe what he prefers to be true." - Francis Bacon

"I had taken two finger-bowls of champagne and the scene had changed before my eyes into something significant, elemental, and profound." - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

Bob Wood
GCC Member
GCC Member

#47 Post by Bob Wood » October 9th, 2010, 11:09 am

Cris Whetstone wrote: I haven't had a Whopper in ab out 10 years. Did they improve somehow? [shock.gif]
No, but they're still better than an In-N-Out. We won't even talk about Big Macs.

Brent C l a y t o n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#48 Post by Brent C l a y t o n » October 9th, 2010, 11:31 am

I had my first In & Out experience in 2002. I specifically went to McD's & BK when I came home for a comparison vs. what I had just had. Not even in the same league as In & Out.

However, Shake Shack has spoiled me. My In & Out experiences were not the same after Shake Shack. I would still gladly give In & Out the title for best fast food burger, though.
‘Purveyor of Plonk’
Threadsinker
ITB Sales
IG@bigdaddyb420wine

Tyler Rico

#49 Post by Tyler Rico » October 9th, 2010, 1:14 pm

Bob Wood wrote:
Cris Whetstone wrote: I haven't had a Whopper in ab out 10 years. Did they improve somehow? [shock.gif]
No, but they're still better than an In-N-Out. We won't even talk about Big Macs.
I think you have jumped the shark bob [snort.gif]

find me one other person on this board who would say a whopper is better than a double double

You dont have to like in n out but that's just crazy [help.gif]

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#50 Post by Brian Tuite » October 9th, 2010, 1:22 pm

What's not to like about a whopper? Some people like pre-cooked microwaved burgers with crunchy green tomato slices. Image

Me, if forced to eat fast food, I would choose an In-N-Out burger over a whopper, or anything from McD, Wendys, JITB etal...
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

"Something so subtle only I can detect it." ~ Randy Bowman

2019 WOTY...

Return to “Epicurean Exploits - Food and Recipes”