In-N-Out Burger coming to Texas

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
Rick Gregory

Re: In-N-Out Burger coming to Texas

#51 Post by Rick Gregory » October 9th, 2010, 1:25 pm

Eh. I've had in-n-out. I've had 5 guys (they, at least are in Seattle). They're fast food burgers. I have 2 local places near me that kick both their asses and don't even compare them to some place like Red Mill. I can't get excited about mediocre burgers just because they're cheap.
Dang Rick, I think that's right on the money. - K. John Joseph

PeterJ

#52 Post by PeterJ » October 9th, 2010, 1:27 pm

Brian Tuite wrote:
Veronica Castro wrote: “We don’t have a time line for the opening of any sites in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area yet,” Van Fleet said. “Once we begin construction, it usually takes about 4 to 5 months to build a restaurant and we are still some time away from starting construction.”
Ground breaking here in Santa Rosa began in mid-July and the restaurant is about a week from opening. I have never in my life seen a commercial project go up so fast in Santa Rosa. In-N-Out must have a building inspector on retainer because nothing moves this fast in this town. Just amazing what money can buy.
Here in San Clemente we couldn't get an In-n-Out approved when a Carrow's announced it wanted to close and the space was available. The city was concerned about traffic problems because the spot is right next to freeway on/off ramps and is already somewhat congested with a High School within 1/4 mile and a McD's next door. Even after In-n-Out had opposing traffic studies done and offered to pay for a new signal and turn lanes, it still didn't pass. Nearest In-n-Out is about 10 miles North, for which my waistline is grateful.

+1 to a Double-Double Animal Style, but with well-done fries. Can't do the Animal Fries......... too much for me.
Peter J@ckel

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#53 Post by Brian Tuite » October 9th, 2010, 1:46 pm

The Santa Rosa store was in planning for a year. All the local greenies were calling for a ban on drive thrus and wanted the In-N-Out the scrub the drive thru because of all the exhaust emissions that come from the idling cars waiting in line. That's like a JITB without the clown. There was more greenhouse gas coming from the planning commission meetings than there will ever be from the drive thru.

Location? This one is being built a block from Santa Rosa Jr College in a intersection that already gets clogged at commute and lunch times every day. Traffic will be unbearable but they put it in anyhow. Best thing it will do is relieve the congestion at the store in the next town south when all the dorks line up for the same damn burger in a much longer line in SR because the location is new. Ya gotta love it.

Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

"Something so subtle only I can detect it." ~ Randy Bowman

2019 WOTY...

Linda Baehr
GCC Member
GCC Member

#54 Post by Linda Baehr » October 9th, 2010, 1:56 pm

PeterJ wrote:
+1 to a Double-Double Animal Style, but with well-done fries.
This is what some people just don't get. It MUST be like this, or it is just another burger, IMO. I go in there and hear people ordering a regular old single hamburger, and I just shake my head.
ITB..................................but you guys knew that already, right?
Check out my Artwork Album on my Facebook page!
Buy a painting from a starving artist!

PauLeenda2020

Brent C l a y t o n

#55 Post by Brent C l a y t o n » October 9th, 2010, 2:13 pm

Linda Baehr wrote:
PeterJ wrote:
This is what some people just don't get. It MUST be like this, or it is just another burger, IMO. I go in there and hear people ordering a regular old single hamburger, and I just shake my head.
+3

Although if I'm really hungry a supermonster 4x4 would do it. It's like wrestling a grizzly. [training.gif]
‘Purveyor of Plonk’
Threadsinker
ITB Sales
IG@bigdaddyb420wine

Linda Baehr
GCC Member
GCC Member

#56 Post by Linda Baehr » October 9th, 2010, 7:16 pm

Brent Clayton wrote:
Linda Baehr wrote:
PeterJ wrote:
+3

Although if I'm really hungry a supermonster 4x4 would do it. It's like wrestling a grizzly. [training.gif]

Well of course, MORE than a double double is fine. Less is just unacceptable.

PauLeenda2020

PeterJ

#57 Post by PeterJ » October 9th, 2010, 7:43 pm

Linda Baehr wrote:

Well of course, MORE than a double double is fine. Less is just unacceptable.

I don't recall if I found this pic here or elsewhere, but it's pretty classic. A 100x100 In-n-Out Burger:
Peter J@ckel

Tyler Rico

#58 Post by Tyler Rico » October 9th, 2010, 7:51 pm

Had a buddy in college that ate a 10x10, so gross.

I think they wont cook anything over a 4x4 now, not sure if this is true.

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#59 Post by Randy Bowman » October 9th, 2010, 8:37 pm

Just don't get it. The In-N-Out burger has never appealed to me. It could be that they won't put bacon on it, but as far as fast food burgers go, I rate it behind Carls Jr. and Burger King, though above the Soylent Green burger at Wendy's.
IN THE BUSINESS SHILL: An associate of a person selling goods, who pretends no association to the seller and assumes the air of an enthusiastic customer.

Guillaume Deschamps
Contributor
Contributor

#60 Post by Guillaume Deschamps » October 10th, 2010, 8:32 am

Randy Bowman wrote:Just don't get it. The In-N-Out burger has never appealed to me. It could be that they won't put bacon on it, but as far as fast food burgers go, I rate it behind Carls Jr. and Burger King, though above the Soylent Green burger at Wendy's.
Same here. No bacon = WTF?!?

From what I've tasted in burger chains all over the US, I'd say they are all between bad and very bad, with McD being on its own yuck scale. My choice would be Five Guys, Carls Jr and Sonic (nothing special but at least not pretending to be something special).
ITB @roumegaire roumegaire.com

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#61 Post by Brian Tuite » October 10th, 2010, 8:58 am

Randy Bowman wrote:Just don't get it. The In-N-Out burger has never appealed to me. It could be that they won't put bacon on it, but as far as fast food burgers go, I rate it behind Carls Jr. and Burger King, though above the Soylent Green burger at Wendy's.
Culinary enlightenment from the Mac Daddy -> Image neener

I think the beauty of In-N-Out is its' simplicity. Hamburger, Cheeseburger, Fries, Shakes and Sodas. No bacon, no jalapenos, no onion rings, no chili, no guacamole, no pickles, no mushrooms, no angus, no chicken, no fish, no kids meals, no clowns, no nuggets, no tacos, no wraps, no flat bread, no ranch dressing, etc... fresh made, made to order, no frills fast food served by pleasant, smiling, clear speaking (english speaking) employees in a clean environment.

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

2019 WOTY...

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#62 Post by Brian Tuite » October 10th, 2010, 9:04 am

Guillaume Deschamps wrote:
Same here. No bacon = WTF?!?
The stuff that passes for bacon on most fast food burgers is worthless anyhow. I would rather have it without than with the crap that is offered by the major chains.

Don't forget we are talking fast food chains and not the local super burger joint. Comparisons are null and void [smileyvault-ban.gif]

2019 WOTY...

Rick Gregory

#63 Post by Rick Gregory » October 10th, 2010, 9:44 am

Brian Tuite wrote: Don't forget we are talking fast food chains and not the local super burger joint. Comparisons are null and void [smileyvault-ban.gif]
I think that's my point and others' - it's fast food. People talk about it as if it's something special, but it's just a decent fast food burger. Of course, those Texans won't notice the difference...

Joe Dulworth
GCC Member
GCC Member

#64 Post by Joe Dulworth » October 10th, 2010, 10:03 am

Rick Gregory wrote:
Brian Tuite wrote: Don't forget we are talking fast food chains and not the local super burger joint. Comparisons are null and void [smileyvault-ban.gif]
I think that's my point and others' - it's fast food. People talk about it as if it's something special, but it's just a decent fast food burger. Of course, those Texans won't notice the difference...
Wrong. I realize it for what it is...a cheap but reliable fast food burger. Nothing more, nothing less. If I want better I'll fire up the grill. Pretty easy to beat anything fast food that way.
wineismylife

Wine is like potato chips around me...if it's open, it's gone.

MyBlog @ wineismylife net

Rick Gregory

#65 Post by Rick Gregory » October 10th, 2010, 11:02 am

Joe Dulworth wrote:
Rick Gregory wrote:
Wrong. I realize it for what it is...a cheap but reliable fast food burger. Nothing more, nothing less. If I want better I'll fire up the grill. Pretty easy to beat anything fast food that way.
Joe, my Texas comment was just kidding... it was me [stirthepothal.gif] .

Linda Baehr
GCC Member
GCC Member

#66 Post by Linda Baehr » October 12th, 2010, 12:41 pm

Brian Tuite wrote: no pickles.
Apparently you don't get Animal Style. They have pickles.

PauLeenda2020

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#67 Post by Brian Tuite » October 12th, 2010, 3:45 pm

Linda Baehr wrote:
Brian Tuite wrote: no pickles.
Apparently you don't get Animal Style. They have pickles.
Apparently not neener

2019 WOTY...

Joe Dulworth
GCC Member
GCC Member

#68 Post by Joe Dulworth » March 18th, 2011, 8:08 am

Texas In-N-Out fans:

I noticed on my way home from the airport the other day that they've finally broken ground on the new In-N-Out next to the Arlington Parks Mall.
wineismylife

Bill Tex Landreth

#69 Post by Bill Tex Landreth » March 18th, 2011, 8:22 am

Joe Dulworth wrote:Texas In-N-Out fans:

I noticed on my way home from the airport the other day that they've finally broken ground on the new In-N-Out next to the Arlington Parks Mall.
Good news indeed.

I pounded a Double-Double and some well done fries this past Monday on my way up to see Juan Mercado at Realm. Nothing quite like driving up HWY 29 with a greasy burger in your hands.
It's not easy being drunk all the time. Everyone would be doing it if it were easy.

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#70 Post by Brian Tuite » March 18th, 2011, 12:45 pm

Bill Tex Landreth wrote:
Joe Dulworth wrote:Texas In-N-Out fans:

Good news indeed.

I pounded a Double-Double and some well done fries this past Monday on my way up to see Juan Mercado at Realm. Nothing quite like driving up HWY 29 with a greasy burger in your hands.
Hope you had a lot of liquid to force those well done fries down. Driest damn things I have ever tasted.

2019 WOTY...

Bill Tex Landreth

#71 Post by Bill Tex Landreth » March 18th, 2011, 12:49 pm

Not dry at all. Granted they WERE crispy. Chased it with an XL Coke.
It's not easy being drunk all the time. Everyone would be doing it if it were easy.

brianmcbrearty
GCC Member
GCC Member

#72 Post by brianmcbrearty » March 19th, 2011, 9:05 pm

holy hell, is that george scott? nobody hates the sox more than I, and even I feel a little nostalgic seeing that.

so... are they saying you can order the neon sign? cuz I'm sooo on that.

brianmcbrearty
GCC Member
GCC Member

#73 Post by brianmcbrearty » March 20th, 2011, 12:32 pm

I never get tired of this. :)

There's really not much getting around the fact that any ground beef patty cooked beyond medium is an absolute bad.
So we're not talking about burgers, we're talking about fast food sandwiches that happen to have a little bit of over cooked burger-like stuff on em.

And if we were to darken ebob's doorstep and look at my in n out rants of the past, I'd be a naysayer. But I've come around.
I temporarily embraced 5 guys but have soured on that too -- the less overcooked cardboard on these things the better. And therefore, even though I've become really fond of in n out, I'm not really in the double double camp. And certainly not animal style. That, I just don't get.
But a single? It's like the chick fil a. It's a sandwich -- a composition. It's a dreadful piece of meat at in n out as elsewhere. I can even see the BK backers' point. At least a BK burger has a little grilled taste even if they're painting it on somehow.
But an in n out is a fresh and tasty sandwich in a great burger building with amazingly cheerful energetic employees for three bucks. The fries are awful, but they're no worse than elsewhere. If you get them crispy, you've got a shot at a few tasty ones. A BK fry is inedible.
I've come to LOVE this place. Hence the desire for item 30. The neon sign.
I'm gonna go order a 2x1 medium rare and see what comes out. Never occurred to me to ask for it less cooked as it's 3mm thick.

Joe Dulworth
GCC Member
GCC Member

#74 Post by Joe Dulworth » April 14th, 2011, 12:10 pm

THEY'RE HERE!!!

The first one is open on North Central Expressway @ Northwest Highway in Dallas. Texans can officially get their Double Double on.
wineismylife

Joe Dulworth
GCC Member
GCC Member

#75 Post by Joe Dulworth » April 14th, 2011, 12:14 pm

Correction. I think the one on Stacy and Central in Allen is open. I don't think the one at Central @ Northwest is quite open yet. The one by my place in Arlington is getting really close as well.
wineismylife

Joe Dulworth
GCC Member
GCC Member

#76 Post by Joe Dulworth » April 14th, 2011, 1:25 pm

Dude, you practically live in Allen! At least compared to me!

Ultimately that one on 121 and Preston should be quick for you to get to.
wineismylife

Chris S p i k e s

#77 Post by Chris S p i k e s » April 14th, 2011, 11:24 pm

Joe Dulworth wrote:Correction. I think the one on Stacy and Central in Allen is open. I don't think the one at Central @ Northwest is quite open yet. The one by my place in Arlington is getting really close as well.
You had me excited there for a moment, but soon enough.... I'm very close to the NW Hwy location.

I was by the Arlington location this morning and it was still all construction dirt. I don't know how long it takes to put up, but I would imagine it's still a couple of months away.

Considering they want to do all their meat processing locally, have they opened those "back office" operations with only 1 functioning restaurant? Or, are they importing the meat from California for now until they get a critical mass?

Chris

Joe Dulworth
GCC Member
GCC Member

#78 Post by Joe Dulworth » April 15th, 2011, 8:27 am

I don't know for certain but I thought their rented warehouse space for the processing facility was supposed to be done first before they even moved dirt for the locations.
wineismylife

Chris S p i k e s

#79 Post by Chris S p i k e s » May 10th, 2011, 3:59 am

Looks like the Frisco location will open tomorrow, 5/11.

Chris

Joe Dulworth
GCC Member
GCC Member

#80 Post by Joe Dulworth » May 10th, 2011, 8:11 am

Yeah, read somewhere online that tomorrow is the "official" day that In-N-Out enters the "Dallas" market.

Looks like their pushing dirt in Arlington.
wineismylife

Brad Walden

#81 Post by Brad Walden » May 11th, 2011, 6:35 pm

I flew up to Dallas this morning and had "breakfast" there. At 9:00, there was already a line so they let the people that camped out into the restaurant so the news crews could get some shots. They then opened up the doors and the line started moving. I got my food by 10:00 (4x4) and then went and saw my nieces at thier school, with the gift of a few cheeseburgers, of course. I was a little worried that I was "that guy" 'for flying somewhere just for a fast food burger but at least I wasn't the girl in the front if the line who started crying when she got her tray.

The new t-shirts have the In n Out logo on the front with the word Texas under it. The back has the Lone Star flag along with an In and Out Texas scene.

Bill Tex Landreth

#82 Post by Bill Tex Landreth » May 11th, 2011, 6:40 pm

Brad Walden wrote:I flew up to Dallas this morning and had "breakfast" there. At 9:00, there was already a line so they let the people that camped out into the restaurant so the news crews could get some shots. They then opened up the doors and the line started moving. I got my food by 10:00 (4x4) and then went and saw my nieces at thier school, with the gift of a few cheeseburgers, of course. I was a little worried that I was "that guy" 'for flying somewhere just for a fast food burger but at least I wasn't the girl in the front if the line who started crying when she got her tray.

The new t-shirts have the In n Out logo on the front with the word Texas under it. The back has the Lone Star flag along with an In and Out Texas scene.
I was the guy that flew to Las Vegas to have an offline at In-N-Out Burger with 11 strangers and a few grand in wine.

Brad Walden

#83 Post by Brad Walden » May 11th, 2011, 7:19 pm

Oddly, Bill, that seems perfectly normal to me...and probably many more on this board.

Brad S c h i e r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#84 Post by Brad S c h i e r » May 11th, 2011, 8:09 pm

Bill Tex Landreth wrote:
Brad Walden wrote:I flew up to Dallas this morning and had "breakfast" there. At 9:00, there was already a line so they let the people that camped out into the restaurant so the news crews could get some shots. They then opened up the doors and the line started moving. I got my food by 10:00 (4x4) and then went and saw my nieces at thier school, with the gift of a few cheeseburgers, of course. I was a little worried that I was "that guy" 'for flying somewhere just for a fast food burger but at least I wasn't the girl in the front if the line who started crying when she got her tray.

I was the guy that flew to Las Vegas to have an offline at In-N-Out Burger with 11 strangers and a few grand in wine.

Why? That stuff is sooooo overrated. I keep going there when in cali and always leave disappointed even compared to Fuddruckers here. Now you can slap me for keep going back - but I keep thinking I will see the light and all i get is grass fed tasteless burgers. Give me some fat and grease and taste in my burger please!!

Craig G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#85 Post by Craig G » May 11th, 2011, 10:33 pm

You guys in Texas should refuse them until they learn to cook a decent fry - they are total crap.
“You need to look down to the bottom shelf where they keep the Fighting Cock” — Corey N.

C. Gle@son

Bob Wood
GCC Member
GCC Member

#86 Post by Bob Wood » May 12th, 2011, 7:32 am

Here we go again! [rofl.gif]

"Do you want to sell sugar water for the rest of your life, or do you want to come with me and change the world?" - Steve Jobs, 1983

Ken Rudman

#87 Post by Ken Rudman » May 12th, 2011, 9:53 am

Craig Gleason wrote:You guys in Texas should refuse them until they learn to cook a decent fry - they are total crap.
You need to learn the magic three word phrase: "fries well done". [cheers.gif]

David Walker

#88 Post by David Walker » May 12th, 2011, 12:14 pm

P. Robert wrote:We just sent one of our guys there to pick up lunch for everyone
Based on the YouTube footage I've seen, he'll be back a week from next Tuesday

Cris Whetstone
GCC Member
GCC Member

#89 Post by Cris Whetstone » May 12th, 2011, 12:16 pm

P. Robert wrote:was baout a 2 plus hour wait, we were pretty hungry by the time he got back. Now im in a food coma
Wow! I'm a big fan but its not THAT good. Its still just "fast food" unless of course people go nuts and make it not so fast.
WetRock

"Man prefers to believe what he prefers to be true." - Francis Bacon

"I had taken two finger-bowls of champagne and the scene had changed before my eyes into something significant, elemental, and profound." - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

Joe Dulworth
GCC Member
GCC Member

#90 Post by Joe Dulworth » May 12th, 2011, 12:28 pm

I'll wait until all of the hoopla settles down before I grab one. I'm good. I had one back in December. [snort.gif]
wineismylife

Craig G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#91 Post by Craig G » May 12th, 2011, 1:01 pm

Ken Rudman wrote:
Craig Gleason wrote:You guys in Texas should refuse them until they learn to cook a decent fry - they are total crap.
You need to learn the magic three word phrase: "no fries, please". [cheers.gif]
fixed.

Asking them to cook their fries more is like saying "I keep sawing this board and it's still too short."
“You need to look down to the bottom shelf where they keep the Fighting Cock” — Corey N.

C. Gle@son

Ken Rudman

#92 Post by Ken Rudman » May 12th, 2011, 3:33 pm

Craig Gleason wrote:
Ken Rudman wrote:
You need to learn the magic three word phrase: "no fries, please". [cheers.gif]
fixed.

Asking them to cook their fries more is like saying "I keep sawing this board and it's still too short."
So, taking the cooking duration out of the equation, your problem is freshly-cut potatoes, cooked in high-quality oil? Yeah, you don't deserve any fries anyway. Next.

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#93 Post by c fu » May 12th, 2011, 4:07 pm

Cris Whetstone wrote:
P. Robert wrote:was baout a 2 plus hour wait, we were pretty hungry by the time he got back. Now im in a food coma
Wow! I'm a big fan but its not THAT good. Its still just "fast food" unless of course people go nuts and make it not so fast.
agreed. if there are more than 5 cars ahead of me at the drive through I just leave.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/clayfu.wine

Cris Whetstone
GCC Member
GCC Member

#94 Post by Cris Whetstone » May 13th, 2011, 9:51 am

So did anyone cry and save their wrapper? Did it feel real?

[youtube][/youtube]
WetRock

"I had taken two finger-bowls of champagne and the scene had changed before my eyes into something significant, elemental, and profound." - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

Jason Hagen

#95 Post by Jason Hagen » May 14th, 2011, 3:20 pm

In n Out fries rule. I get them normal or fries light.

Cris Whetstone
GCC Member
GCC Member

#96 Post by Cris Whetstone » May 14th, 2011, 6:05 pm

I like the fries when they are fresh. Prefer them well done. I think people are just not used to the taste of potatoes in their fries. [tease.gif]
WetRock

Bill Tex Landreth

#97 Post by Bill Tex Landreth » May 14th, 2011, 6:10 pm

P. Robert wrote:The fries we had were pathetic...even if you got them well done they would still have been pathetic

Suffered from being in the car too long?

M. Dildine
GCC Member
GCC Member

#98 Post by M. Dildine » May 14th, 2011, 6:10 pm

You Texans ... this stuff is from L.A. It is exceptional (for Socal) but it is still L.A.

I couldn't look myself in the mirror if I didn't mention this.
Cheers,

Mike

Cris Whetstone
GCC Member
GCC Member

#99 Post by Cris Whetstone » May 14th, 2011, 6:18 pm

M. Dildine wrote:You Texans ... this stuff is from L.A. It is exceptional (for Socal) but it is still L.A.

I couldn't look myself in the mirror if I didn't mention this.
No worries Mike. We don't carry guns in our cars as a matter of course as they do in Tejas.
WetRock

Joe Dulworth
GCC Member
GCC Member

#100 Post by Joe Dulworth » May 14th, 2011, 6:20 pm

Bill Tex Landreth wrote:
P. Robert wrote:The fries we had were pathetic...even if you got them well done they would still have been pathetic

Suffered from being in the car too long?
That has been my experience to date. NEVER, EVER buy their fries and then drive off. They are best consumed right there on the spot while they're still hot. The lose a lot the longer you wait. My two cents worth.
wineismylife

Return to “Epicurean Exploits - Food and Recipes”