Prosciutto

Those of you who were devotees of the Ebob Food and Wine thread might recall that I posted regularly about my experiments with charcuterie. I reported in from time to time on my efforts to make prosciutto with hams from a pig that was raised for me by a farmer in West Virginia, on the slaughter and processing of the pig (back in December 2008), and then on all of the steps involved in curing and aging the ham.

In fact, it is the loss of access to those threads, which included a lot of photos from me and from others, far more than the loss of access to other threads, that I’m pissed off about. So many people gave me such fabulous help along the way, it’s a pity to be shut off from that knowledge base. One of the things I posted, for instance, was a long list of all of the various recipies I’d found online for making prosciutto. Jay Selman read the thread and sent me a very hard to find horse-bone needle for testing prosciutto. Ah well. It’s gone.

But readers of that thread might recall that my first attempt at prosciutto making ended in failure. This is hardly surprising, considering the level of craft involved in making good aged prosciutto. But I also indicated that I was starting again with a ham from Pig2, raised from September 2008 - December 2009, and slaughtered (again, by us) on December 9, 2009. For that ham, I decided not to use the Ruhlman and Polcyn recipe in their book, Charcuterie, which I now believe to be quite off the mark.

Instead, I used Paul Bertolli’s approach from Cooking By Hand, which overlaps in many respects with the technique in the River Cottage Cookbook. In this technique, the ham is air dried in temps below 40 degrees and high humidity for up to six months, without any covering of a paste made from lard and rice flour. After this period, according to Bertolli, the ham is covered in the lard-rice flour paste and let to age for another 6-8 months in wine-cellar like conditions.

The ham from Pig2 hit the 6-month mark for the first stage of curing this weekend, so I took it out of the fridge, and began to prep it for the next stage of drying. As I trimmed off the dry exterior of the ham, however, I began to question whether any further aging would be helpful. The ham had the right color and consistency for prosciutto. And since this was not a ham of Jamon Iberico quality, it wasn’t clear to me what additional aging would add. I decided to slice up a small piece of the ham to taste for myself whether it was “done.” I decided that I think it might be done, after all.

I trimmed the rest of the ham into two large pieces - one boneless, the other including the leg bone - wrapped them both in wax paper and put them in the cellar. So they will continue to age, but I will not give them an additional six months under the lard-rice flour paste covering. For now, I am just damn pleased that more than two years since I began this experiment – the piglet that became Pig1 was born in spring 2008 – I can now say, at long last, that I have made a prosciutto. And not just any prosciutto – some damn good prosciutto to boot.

Steven,
I followed your previous thread quite closely and wish that I had the conditions to try it myself!

Congratulations! Got Lambrusco?

Thanks, Mark - I will update here from time to time.

Roberto - I sure do!

If this is a start to a new thread on curing, I have a couple of starter questions:
Where was the first curing @ 40 degrees done and @ what humidity level.
Where did the second curing take place? Other than “cellar conditions” was this 55 degrees @ 75% humidity?
Looks like a lovely product.

Nick,

The first curing was done in a small fridge I bought for the purpose – Sears sells a 9 cubic foot fridge that is perfect for this use. I removed all of the interior shelves except for one placed near the top of the fridge compartment, and hung the ham from that shelf. The humidity during the first 4 months of the aging was at 70-80%. I kept it that high by clipping a towel to the top shelf so that it hung down and wicked moisture into the air. I needed to re-wet the towel about once a week. For the last two months, on Jay Selman’s recommendation, I let the humidity drop to about 50%, by dampening the towel less and leaving it in longer.

But. I opened the fridge door as often as I could to let air circulate around the ham. Still thinking of installing a small fan (maybe a computer fan) inside the fridge.

Wine cellar conditions are about 55% and between 60-70% humidity.

Keep in mind - this is the aging process we’re talking about, not curing. The curing is done right after slaughter, once the meat has set up for a day or so, and involves salting the meat heavily, weighting it down, making sure to drain off moisture the salt pulls from the meat, and so on. And Bertolli calls for the use of instacure # 2 as part of the cure, as added protection against nasty bacteria.

Steven - Thank you for starting your threads here. Although I don’t have the space or time to cure my own salumi and prosciutto, your threads were always inspiring. These threads and the pictures are among the top things I miss most from the eBob site. Thanks.
Glad to hear the prosciutto turned out well. Will be interesting to hear how it changes with additional age.
T.

steven, thanks for posting. i was a huge fan of your thread over on the other side, and can’t wait to follow your progress here.
congratulations on your first prosciutto!

Great to see you over here! Loved the threads on the “Site of the ASS”. And glad you decided to jump on in over here.

I am dying of Prosciutto envy

post away Steven.
great to see you here.

Congratulation, Steven.

Jay,
I remain in your debt, obi wan. If you find yourself in DC, we’ll make sure to mark the occasion with charcuterie.

+1 I was just saying to myself… “I wonder how Steve’s Prosciutto is doing?”

Confess I had forgotten about it until I saw this thread. Looks great Steve. 6 months is not very long, I’m surprised it’s fully cured though your climate could be considerably warmer than up here.

Our prosciutti continue to hang, the wild boars are coming on 18 months old now, tamworths at 6 months.

Hey Peter – glad to see you’re over here, too. Remind me - what’s your approach to aging? Do you just air cure, or is the ham covered with lard-rice flour paste? If you air cure first, how long?

I did not expect to end the aging process so soon. But I’m trying to let the ham tell me when it’s ready. Very zen, no? Most of the ham is now in the wine cellar. We’ll see what happens as it continues to age. I’m just not sure what I’d gain at this point by covering it up.

Doing this one does make me want to get a new one started though. . . . . the experiment will continue.

Love it! Thanks for picking up where you left off. Very interesting thread.

After I lost all my wine notes from Wine Therapy during a very odd series of events, I backed up everything I could. I don’t believe that my “body of work” was all that important, but I liked to look back on it. I give you credit for soldiering on.

Keep up the good work.

here are the prociutto threads from the other board in pdf form

thread 1
https://filegen.com/getfile/?900CF36" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

thread 2
https://filegen.com/getfile/?A0465703B7168CD12715" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

these links will expire in 15 days from todays date

Gene,
Couldn’t open those files with Adobe. Will try again with some other app. Much appreciate your posting them here.