Cold brew coffee

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
Eric LeVine
GCC Member
GCC Member

Cold brew coffee

#1 Post by Eric LeVine » July 7th, 2010, 2:46 pm

I think I am late to the party. Anyone ever have cold brew coffee before? http://www.toddycafe.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Some of the local shops are doing it here now. My favorite part: massive caffeine extraction. This stuff is SMOOTH, flavorful and packs a rocking kick!
-Eric LeVine (ITB)
It rhymes with wine...

Scott Manlin

Re: Cold brew coffee

#2 Post by Scott Manlin » July 7th, 2010, 2:47 pm

Eric LeVine wrote:I think I am late to the party. Anyone ever have cold brew coffee before? http://www.toddycafe.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Some of the local shops are doing it here now. My favorite part: massive caffeine extraction. This stuff is SMOOTH, flavorful and packs a rocking kick!
Michael Alberty swears by it. My friend Kate was in Portland recently visiting her Bro and Sis in Law and she now swears by it... seems like a smart thing to drink on a hot day
The Hedonist
Keepin' the Dragon at bay...

Brent C l a y t o n

#3 Post by Brent C l a y t o n » July 7th, 2010, 2:53 pm

I use Terroir's "Ultimate Iced Coffee" recipe, George puts in a blurb explaining why their tests reveal it's a better method than cold extraction.

http://www.terroircoffee.com/images/ice ... ns2010.pdf
‘Purveyor of Plonk’
Threadsinker
ITB Sales
IG@bigdaddyb420wine

Eric LeVine
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by Eric LeVine » July 7th, 2010, 3:00 pm

Brent Clayton wrote:I use Terroir's "Ultimate Iced Coffee" recipe, George puts in a blurb explaining why their tests reveal it's a better method than cold extraction.

Yum that looks good too. I do think the assertion that 24-hour cold brew is 'insipid' greatly missed the point that some beans work very well for this technique and others do not. As I finish one right now I am struck by the depth of flavor, but talking to some baristas about it suggests that some beans are not well suited to the technique. Ah well, I guess I will have to keep experimenting all summer! :)
-Eric LeVine (ITB)
It rhymes with wine...

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » July 7th, 2010, 3:07 pm

Eric LeVine wrote:I think I am late to the party. Anyone ever have cold brew coffee before? http://www.toddycafe.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I followed your link, Eric, and I still don't understand how cold brew coffee is made? Does the cold water sit on the beans/grounds for a certain amount of time before consumption? Is it meant to be consumed cold?

i've never heard of cold brew coffee, but now I'm curious.
“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT: grafstrb

Eric LeVine
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by Eric LeVine » July 7th, 2010, 3:11 pm

Think of a 24-hour french press done with cold water and the while thing sitting in the fridge, on the grounds, overnight. A whole lot of caffeine gets extracted, as it is water soluble. So for something like espresso which is drawn very quickly there is relatively little caffeine but loads of intense flavor. The longer the grounds are in contact with water the more caffeine you get. I guess with the cold brew it is typically filtered heavily and then diluted.
-Eric LeVine (ITB)
It rhymes with wine...

TimF
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by TimF » July 7th, 2010, 3:27 pm

Eric LeVine wrote:
Brent Clayton wrote:I use Terroir's "Ultimate Iced Coffee" recipe, George puts in a blurb explaining why their tests reveal it's a better method than cold extraction.

Yum that looks good too. I do think the assertion that 24-hour cold brew is 'insipid' greatly missed the point that some beans work very well for this technique and others do not. As I finish one right now I am struck by the depth of flavor, but talking to some baristas about it suggests that some beans are not well suited to the technique. Ah well, I guess I will have to keep experimenting all summer! :)
Any idea which kind of beans or what level of roast? Anybody try this at home?
Tim F@itsch

gene keenan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by gene keenan » July 8th, 2010, 12:42 am

When I was cooking for the dead we had a granita machine (I still have it actually) and I would make a frozen coffee drink on one side of it. To make the coffee I would put a few pounds in a empty Cornelius keg with cold water and store it in the reefer. the drive over night to the next city and it would be ready to go. I would just add hot water to an ounce of this extract for a cup of Joe. Insanely smooth and super wired.
Jerry loved well aged BV Private Reserve Georges De Latour

ybarselah

#9 Post by ybarselah » July 8th, 2010, 7:47 am

been doing it for years and it's really easy and awesome and a great use for coffee that's a little too old to use for espresso.

i really like the caramel flavor that comes out from the cold brew process.

btw, i never do it for 24 hours. i think it peeks at some point. i've found that overnight -- like 10-12 hours is more than sufficient.
Last edited by ybarselah on July 8th, 2010, 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yaacov (ITB)

ybarselah

#10 Post by ybarselah » July 8th, 2010, 7:49 am

gene keenan wrote:When I was cooking for the dead
sorry, i always forget this when i read your posts. can you please make it your signature because it's like the coolest thing ever and you let it slide by as if you were describing painting a door or something.
Yaacov (ITB)

Eric LeVine
GCC Member
GCC Member

#11 Post by Eric LeVine » July 8th, 2010, 7:56 am

ybarselah wrote:
gene keenan wrote:When I was cooking for the dead
sorry, i always forget this when i read your posts. can you please make it your signature because it's like the coolest thing ever and you let it slide by as if you were describing painting a door or something.
+1
-Eric LeVine (ITB)
It rhymes with wine...

Eric LeVine
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12 Post by Eric LeVine » July 8th, 2010, 7:58 am

ybarselah wrote:been doing it for years and it's really easy and awesome and a great use for coffee that's a little too old to use for espresso.
More proof that you are a master of the universe. Your prejudices are still appalling however...
-Eric LeVine (ITB)
It rhymes with wine...

TimF
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13 Post by TimF » July 8th, 2010, 8:02 am

Seems like everybody makes it in concentrated form. Is there a reason for that? I would think that alone would change the flavor profile of the end product. I'm curious to do an overnight soak in my French Press at a normal concentration and then heat it the next day in the microwave. Maybe compare that side-by-side to fresh coffee from the Technivorm?
Tim F@itsch

ybarselah

#14 Post by ybarselah » July 8th, 2010, 8:04 am

Eric LeVine wrote:
ybarselah wrote:been doing it for years and it's really easy and awesome and a great use for coffee that's a little too old to use for espresso.
More proof that you are a master of the universe. Your prejudices are still appalling however...
and....go to hell.
Yaacov (ITB)

ybarselah

#15 Post by ybarselah » July 8th, 2010, 8:08 am

TimF wrote:Seems like everybody makes it in concentrated form. Is there a reason for that? I would think that alone would change the flavor profile of the end product. I'm curious to do an overnight soak in my French Press at a normal concentration and then heat it the next day in the microwave. Maybe compare that side-by-side to fresh coffee from the Technivorm?
i *think* the reason for this is that you need more coffee-to-water for the cold brew as you do for a normal brew -- so it's relatively expensive coffee. i typically do 1 part coffee (very course grind) to 2.5-3 parts cold water. this results in a liquid that i can add a little bit of water, milk and ice and get a fairly strong iced coffee. to make it easier, i use a my french press, but any jar or whatever will do. i pour the water over the coffee and stir for 30 seconds or so to distribute evenly.
Yaacov (ITB)

zachary l a n g
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16 Post by zachary l a n g » July 8th, 2010, 8:30 am

i do iced coffee the lazy way..brew coffee the regular way, freeze coffee in ice cube trays. Then brew coffee again and use coffee cubes as ice - that way, it doesn't get watered down when the "ice" melts

Eric LeVine
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17 Post by Eric LeVine » July 8th, 2010, 11:16 am

ybarselah wrote:
Eric LeVine wrote:
and....go to hell.
[truce.gif]

BTW, since someone PM'ed with concern over the apparent spat between Yaacov and I, let me explain... The line "Yaacov, your prejudices are appalling" actually came from Big Bad Blobby Parker a while back on eRP. I don't recall what triggered it, but it must be because Yaacov likes Burgundy and non-spoof and is willing to say it. Yaacov and I actually think the world of each other, and there are very few people in the world (and certainly in the wine world) who have Yaacov's excellent instincts when it comes to digital media and the emerging world of the magical interwebz. And despite my generally broken sarcasm meter, I handle sarcasm pretty well with Yaacov since I pretty much assume that he will spew battery acid when I poke him. :)
-Eric LeVine (ITB)
It rhymes with wine...

Bill Johnstone

#18 Post by Bill Johnstone » July 8th, 2010, 11:22 am

gene keenan wrote:When I was cooking for the dead we had a granita machine

The band or did a bunch of zombies make you their bitch?
"The greatest tragedy in mankind's entire history may be the hijacking of morality by religion."
–– Arthur C. Clarke

“I dearly love the state of Texas, but I consider that a harmless perversion on my part, and discuss it only with consenting adults.”
-- Molly Ivins

ybarselah

#19 Post by ybarselah » July 8th, 2010, 11:45 am

Eric LeVine wrote:
ybarselah wrote:
Eric LeVine wrote: More proof that you are a master of the universe. Your prejudices are still appalling however...
and....go to hell.
[truce.gif]

BTW, since someone PM'ed with concern over the apparent spat between Yaacov and I, let me explain... The line "Yaacov, your prejudices are appalling" actually came from Big Bad Blobby Parker a while back on eRP. I don't recall what triggered it, but it must be because Yaacov likes Burgundy and non-spoof and is willing to say it. Yaacov and I actually think the world of each other, and there are very few people in the world (and certainly in the wine world) who have Yaacov's excellent instincts when it comes to digital media and the emerging world of the magical interwebz. And despite my generally broken sarcasm meter, I handle sarcasm pretty well with Yaacov since I pretty much assume that he will spew battery acid when I poke him. :)
oh that's toooo funny...

someone needs to look it up, but the appalling prejudices remark i think was from one of the 2003 CdP threads that Parker went nuts on. i felt honored at the time. and it has become a running joke in the wine interwebz.

i'm hoping "go to hell" achieves similar greatness...it can be found here...

http://wineberserkers.com/viewtopic.php ... 63#p318663" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and i truly adore Eric and hold him in the highest possible regard.
Yaacov (ITB)

zachary l a n g
GCC Member
GCC Member

#20 Post by zachary l a n g » July 8th, 2010, 12:19 pm

forget a coffee, I need a cigarette after reading this love fest! neener

TimF
GCC Member
GCC Member

#21 Post by TimF » September 9th, 2010, 8:03 am

I tried the cold-brewed coffee today for the first time. The coffee was good but definitely different. There was no bitterness whatsoever which I kind of missed. It also had a "pudding" consistency. Not sure how to describe it better than that. Obviously it was still a liquid but much thicker than normal drip coffee.

Technique: I ground the beans on the coarsest setting my grinder has then put it into the French press with water and mixed it fairly well. Set it in the fridge for probably 10 hours. Then removed and plunged. Then microwaved for 90 seconds.
Tim F@itsch

ybarselah

#22 Post by ybarselah » September 9th, 2010, 8:12 am

TimF wrote:I tried the cold-brewed coffee today for the first time. The coffee was good but definitely different. There was no bitterness whatsoever which I kind of missed. It also had a "pudding" consistency. Not sure how to describe it better than that. Obviously it was still a liquid but much thicker than normal drip coffee.

Technique: I ground the beans on the coarsest setting my grinder has then put it into the French press with water and mixed it fairly well. Set it in the fridge for probably 10 hours. Then removed and plunged. Then microwaved for 90 seconds.
i think the last part is where you missed the idea -- this is meant to be cold brewed iced coffee.

and i've found that even with the coursest setting, it needs to go through a coffee filter.

finally, you need a very high ratio of coffee : water. like 1:2 or 1:3. and then you add a lot of ice or a touch of water, milk, etc.
Yaacov (ITB)

TimF
GCC Member
GCC Member

#23 Post by TimF » September 9th, 2010, 8:25 am

ybarselah wrote:
TimF wrote:I tried the cold-brewed coffee today for the first time. The coffee was good but definitely different. There was no bitterness whatsoever which I kind of missed. It also had a "pudding" consistency. Not sure how to describe it better than that. Obviously it was still a liquid but much thicker than normal drip coffee.

i think the last part is where you missed the idea -- this is meant to be cold brewed iced coffee.

and i've found that even with the coursest setting, it needs to go through a coffee filter.

finally, you need a very high ratio of coffee : water. like 1:2 or 1:3. and then you add a lot of ice or a touch of water, milk, etc.
I have no desire to drink ice coffee. Hot coffee was made in the videos I saw on the 'net. They just made it very strong and then added hot water to the concentrate.

You put your French press coffee through a filter? Why?
Tim F@itsch

Bill Johnstone

#24 Post by Bill Johnstone » September 9th, 2010, 8:38 am

I think the only change from your first batch is heat the water then add the cold concentrate. do not microwave the coffee itself. It does create a creamy mouthfeel. I brew for 24 to 36 hours using a toddy.
"The greatest tragedy in mankind's entire history may be the hijacking of morality by religion."
–– Arthur C. Clarke

“I dearly love the state of Texas, but I consider that a harmless perversion on my part, and discuss it only with consenting adults.”
-- Molly Ivins

ybarselah

#25 Post by ybarselah » September 9th, 2010, 8:44 am

TimF wrote:
ybarselah wrote:

I have no desire to drink ice coffee. Hot coffee was made in the videos I saw on the 'net. They just made it very strong and then added hot water to the concentrate.

You put your French press coffee through a filter? Why?
i've never heard of cold brew hot coffee, but i suppose anything could work. but it sounds insane to me and can't imagine it would taste good -- and certainly not better than a properly brewed hot cup. the whole point of the process is that a long cold "brew" (a soak really) brings out very different flavors than a short hot brew -- it's a completely different chemical process (also results in a lot more caffeine but that doesn't affect flavor -- i think). when done properly, the iced coffee has a pronounced caramel/chocolate taste and is very round in texture. but yeah, you need to desire iced coffee to appreciate it i guess.

i found that the filter on the french press didn't remove enough sediment.
Yaacov (ITB)

TimF
GCC Member
GCC Member

#26 Post by TimF » September 9th, 2010, 8:56 am

Bill Johnstone wrote:I think the only change from your first batch is heat the water then add the cold concentrate. do not microwave the coffee itself. It does create a creamy mouthfeel. I brew for 24 to 36 hours using a toddy.
I'll give that a try. I'm thinking you can make some ridiculously strong coffee since the bitterness is so low.
Tim F@itsch

D. Wirsig
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#27 Post by D. Wirsig » September 9th, 2010, 9:41 am

I've done this once but not in the concentrated form. I often make cold brew iced tea with either older tea, good black tea or mid-range Oolongs that are amazing that way. Anyhow I just ground a bunch of coffee and threw it in a pitcher for 12 hrs. As Tim said, no bitterness and I think it brings out certain flavor profiles that might be more subtle in a hot brew. I believe Intellegentsia makes all their Iced Coffee this way. If too hard to filter you might try using a Chemex.
Dan

D. Walker

#28 Post by D. Walker » September 9th, 2010, 9:59 am

Yes, this cold brew method is the best way to make iced coffee.

I've heard that it is the heat of the water in normal brewing that produces the bitterness, which is why, for example, Starbucks coffee is so bitter. The water is too hot and on the grounds for too long. Maybe this was already covered in the thread....
D A N

ybarselah

#29 Post by ybarselah » September 9th, 2010, 10:09 am

D. Walker wrote:Yes, this cold brew method is the best way to make iced coffee.

I've heard that it is the heat of the water in normal brewing that produces the bitterness, which is why, for example, Starbucks coffee is so bitter. The water is too hot and on the grounds for too long. Maybe this was already covered in the thread....
there are many reasons why some coffee may be too bitter -- water too hot, water too cold (more likely and almost all home machines suffer from this), too much coffee, too little coffee, etc., etc.
Yaacov (ITB)

Brent C l a y t o n

#30 Post by Brent C l a y t o n » September 9th, 2010, 10:22 am

RE: Starbucks, I think the bitterness comes from the over-roasting they do to all of their beans.

Yaacov, of course, is certainly correct that there are many variables, which is why most serious preparations have an actual recipe of x grams of coffee to y oz of water followed by a specific brew time, and it's important to follow for best results.

I've always tended more to eyeballing it, just to keep things interesting. [wink.gif]
‘Purveyor of Plonk’
Threadsinker
ITB Sales
IG@bigdaddyb420wine

WvanGorp
GCC Member
GCC Member

#31 Post by WvanGorp » September 11th, 2010, 3:51 am

I remember Sam Lipp who used to be assistant GM at EMP talk about this a couple of years ago but I never tried it (and still haven't). Based on your comment, I'd like to try it, even though I'm really a tea guy.
Wilfred van Gorp

WvanGorp
GCC Member
GCC Member

#32 Post by WvanGorp » September 11th, 2010, 3:55 am

ybarselah wrote:
Eric LeVine wrote:
ybarselah wrote: and....go to hell.
[truce.gif]

oh that's toooo funny...

someone needs to look it up, but the appalling prejudices remark i think was from one of the 2003 CdP threads that Parker went nuts on. i felt honored at the time. and it has become a running joke in the wine interwebz.

i'm hoping "go to hell" achieves similar greatness...it can be found here...

http://wineberserkers.com/viewtopic.php ... 63#p318663" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and i truly adore Eric and hold him in the highest possible regard.
The one thing I miss, Yaacov, is your old sig. line on eRP which was Blobby Parker's quote about your prejudices being appalling. You should put it back here.
Wilfred van Gorp

ybarselah

#33 Post by ybarselah » September 15th, 2010, 8:49 am

squires still exercises jurisdiction over my sig line -- even over here. the guy's a ninja!
Yaacov (ITB)

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#34 Post by Todd F r e n c h » September 15th, 2010, 8:54 am

ybarselah wrote:squires still exercises jurisdiction over my sig line -- even over here. the guy's a ninja!
I don't see how - make your sig line what you want it to be, provided it isn't a personal attack of NSFW
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

Andrew Hall
GCC Member
GCC Member

#35 Post by Andrew Hall » September 15th, 2010, 9:17 am

This is the last word in iced coffee: Coffee shop in Tarrytown. Japanese cold-extract method where the water slowly flows across a large grid of coffee over something like 12 hrs. Incredible cup.

A.
Andrew Hall (itb)

andrew @ cellartracker dot com

Bill Johnstone

#36 Post by Bill Johnstone » September 15th, 2010, 9:21 am

The sign is great "Unattended children will be given an espresso and a free puppy"
–– Arthur C. Clarke

-- Molly Ivins

Eric LeVine
GCC Member
GCC Member

#37 Post by Eric LeVine » September 15th, 2010, 9:27 am

Bill Johnstone wrote:The sign is great "Unattended children will be given an espresso and a free puppy"
Yes, that is what I noticed as well in that coffee meth lab. Awesome!
-Eric LeVine (ITB)
It rhymes with wine...

Andrew Hall
GCC Member
GCC Member

#38 Post by Andrew Hall » September 15th, 2010, 9:46 am

Eric LeVine wrote:
Bill Johnstone wrote:The sign is great "Unattended children will be given an espresso and a free puppy"
Yes, that is what I noticed as well in that coffee meth lab. Awesome!
A place in CMH has had that sign for 20 yrs. Ironically, the roaster spent 30 minutes w/ Alec taking him thru the whole roasting process.

It does look like a meth lab!

A.
Andrew Hall (itb)

andrew @ cellartracker dot com

Eric LeVine
GCC Member
GCC Member

#39 Post by Eric LeVine » September 15th, 2010, 9:50 am

Andrew Hall wrote:It does look like a meth lab!

A.
You would be more likely to know than me -- you are far more worldly. I miss you man. Don't stay too busy. :)
-Eric LeVine (ITB)
It rhymes with wine...

Sean Moore

#40 Post by Sean Moore » September 15th, 2010, 10:53 am

Hario and Hourglass are two popular cold brewers. I picked up a Hario about a year when I caught the pour over bug.

http://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/Hario- ... 550-10.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/Hourgl ... 001-06.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ybarselah

#41 Post by ybarselah » September 15th, 2010, 1:23 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
ybarselah wrote:squires still exercises jurisdiction over my sig line -- even over here. the guy's a ninja!
I don't see how - make your sig line what you want it to be, provided it isn't a personal attack of NSFW
i asked him - he said no dice.
Yaacov (ITB)

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#42 Post by Todd F r e n c h » September 15th, 2010, 1:26 pm

ybarselah wrote:
Todd F r e n c h wrote:
i asked him - he said no dice.
How so? It's a quote from eRP?
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

Larry P
GCC Member
GCC Member

Cold-Brewed Coffee

#43 Post by Larry P » September 5th, 2013, 10:45 am

I know cold-brewing coffee has been done for a while, but I've been hearing about it from multiple sources recently so I decided to give it a whirl. The theory says, by brewing with room-temp water for an extended period of time, a different group of chemicals are released by the grounds, giving a more complex and fruity array of flavors, lower acidity and less bitter compounds. A couple sources:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/201 ... ethod.html
http://www.americastestkitchenfeed.com/ ... ew-coffee/

I decided to skip the mint in the slate recipe, since I didn't want anything to obscure the flavor of the coffee. Following advice for an African bean with medium to light roast, I found a medium-roasted Ethiopian whole bean coffee at WF. I ground 150g (1/3 lb) of beans medium/fine in my burr grinder, which following the 1:4 weight ratio of beans to water, fit nicely into my medium sized French press with 600g of water. Stir once, let sit 10 minutes, stir again, then cover at room temp for approx 24 hours.

I was leery of putting a fine grind in the French press, since this can gunk up the filter, but the ATK article said you must use a fine grind, so I did. This made it very difficult to press the coffee off the grounds. After pressing, I ran the coffee through a paper coffee filter. This yielded just over a cup of very thick concentrate, which I moved to the fridge.

This morning I made a cup by diluting 1/3 cup of the concentrate with 2/3 cup skim milk, added about another cup of ice, from the ATK recipe, a pinch of salt, and after tasting, a pinch of sugar. This can of course be heated for those who don't like iced coffee.

This was a lot of work compared to my typical shot of espresso in the morning, but the layers of flavor are revelatory. Lots of dark berry flavors, roasted cacao, bitter dark chocolate... very much reminiscent of a fruity dark chocolate like Scharffenberger. I didn't time the finish but it lingers on the tongue for a while, where the roasted flavors become more apparent. This probably isn't a pure medium roast since there are surely lots of oils from espresso-roasted beans in my burr grinder that made it into here.

Definitely a worthwhile experiment for anybody who might tend to geek out on coffee.
P ! g g ! n s

"You keep me searching for a heart of gold" - Neil Young
"Metal heart, you're not worth a thing" - Cat Power

Corey N.

Cold-Brewed Coffee

#44 Post by Corey N. » September 5th, 2013, 10:53 am

Nice post Larry.

I saw the original post in Slate and it spurred me to make iced coffee but I did not try the cold-brewed. Looks like I'll get to it this weekend.
I'm with Corey on this. - Todd W.

Nøv¡¢k

philip vondra

Cold-Brewed Coffee

#45 Post by philip vondra » September 5th, 2013, 10:58 am

I had a Kyoto ice coffee at the weekend and it was really good.

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

Cold-Brewed Coffee

#46 Post by Todd F r e n c h » September 5th, 2013, 11:07 am

I've never tried this, so I just made a small test batch for tomorrow. I can't fathom, however, a recipe that needs 1/2 a pound of coffee beans for TWO cups of coffee!!

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

Cold-Brewed Coffee

#47 Post by Jay Miller » September 5th, 2013, 11:43 am

I doubt I'll ever go to the trouble but I admire geekiness in all its forms. Well done!
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

TimF
GCC Member
GCC Member

Cold-Brewed Coffee

#48 Post by TimF » September 5th, 2013, 11:52 am

Some discussion here:
http://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/vie ... 6&p=400327

From what I remember, the consistency was a little odd to me -- almost a pudding like quality. I haven't made it again since the discussion in the original thread.
Tim F@itsch

Larry P
GCC Member
GCC Member

Cold-Brewed Coffee

#49 Post by Larry P » September 5th, 2013, 11:57 am

Todd F r e n c h wrote:I've never tried this, so I just made a small test batch for tomorrow. I can't fathom, however, a recipe that needs 1/2 a pound of coffee beans for TWO cups of coffee!!
For me it looks like it will shake out to 1/3# for 3 cups, over ice that's literally 2 cups per cup, so I guess you could call it 6.

Out of curiosity, I googled "how many cups from a pound of coffee" and various sources put it at 30-40 and up to 64 [scratch.gif] That's some weak-ass coffee if you ask me.
P ! g g ! n s

Larry P
GCC Member
GCC Member

Cold-Brewed Coffee

#50 Post by Larry P » September 5th, 2013, 11:58 am

TimF wrote:Some discussion here:
http://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/vie ... 6&p=400327

From what I remember, the consistency was a little odd to me -- almost a pudding like quality. I haven't made it again since the discussion in the original thread.
Thanks Tim. Should have searched it first.
P ! g g ! n s

Return to “Epicurean Exploits - Food and Recipes”