Lynx Grills

I am looking at getting a new gas grill. The Lynx sure looks nice. Has anyone had any experience using one? Is it really that much better than a Weber Summitt?

Thanks

I have one sitting unused in my back yard. If you lived in Seattle you could probably have it. Yes, they look nice. It’s heavy (450 lbs, if I recall, with brass burners that weigh about 20 lbs each). it’s expensive. It doesn’t do anything that a $100 Weber charcoal grill can’t do, except break down, have gas line hoses leak and cause fires, and run out of propane. My last gas grill ever. Save your money.

So, Chuck. I’m guessing you’re ambivalent about Lynx. [whistle.gif]

I don’t understand after reading this why you still gave the grill 94 points?! [neener.gif]

Chuck
Ouch!

You forgot the * to denote that his model is quite possibly the best the company has produced.

To be fair, the fit and finish was top notch, and they didn’t skimp on the burners, grates, etc. But the electric starter stopped working almost immediately, plus on initial use there was a gas leak and fire that melted the fuel line where it went from the tank up to the burners. These two items were repaired under warranty, and the leak was probably caused from rubbing during shipping, but I think it was also a design issue.

The igniter stopped working again, within the first year, but it’s not really a big feature and not worth fixing. However, two summers ago, a second fuel leak and fire in the same location happened, and after hosing it down and reaching under the flames to turn the tank off, I put the cover on it and bought a Weber kettle, a Weber Smikey Mountain smoker, some lump charcoal, and never looked back. Propane simply can’t get as hot as charcoal, and the stupid little separate burner under the Lynx’s ‘smoker box’ was pretty worthless at putting out real amounts of smoke. Oh, and the two Webers probably cost 1/15th the amount of the Lynx, and charcoal is cheaper than a 5 gallon tank of propane (which only lasts a couple hours anyway.

I’m throwing the B.S. flag on that one. Maybe if you’re leaking propane to the point that you set your grill on fire every time you use it but under normal operating conditions…nah. Not even close. [pillow-fight.gif]

Big burners on ‘high’, Joe, but yeah, I was exaggerating a little. You might get 3 hours. If you have it permanently connected to a natural gas line you solve that problem, but you need to buy new burners or convert your burners in most cases.

You sure about that?

Will be natural gas. Anyone ever use one?

I just got one of the lower end Broil Kings (made in Canada) over the summer. So far I like it a lot. Great heat control, and it gets blazing hot. Best grill I’ve ever owned. I bet the high end ones are super. Wish I had the patience for charcoal, but until I can afford a BGE…

Don’t you have to clean the charcoal out after each use? or how often does that have to be done?

The hassle is what’s keeping me from owning a charcoal grill (or the perception of hassle as I’ve never owned one).

I have a Weber Summit. I like it a lot. It has a smoker box on it that I have used with pretty good success to give salmon and pork loin some nice smokiness. I have no problem burying the thermometer at 750 degrees so it gets pretty hot. I love the IR rotisserie burner and pop up motor. Flare ups are not bad. It is very well contructed. Certainly not cheap but it should last a while.

George

I have had charcoal weber kettles since a junior in college. A total of 3 in those 30+ years. I owned during this time 5 or 6 gas grills including a $600 stainless steel sears model. None of the gas grills lasted more than a couple of years before stuff starting going wrong. You have to replace diverters, grates, brickets, starters you name it. And that is if you use the thing year round so insects and animals don’t build nests etc in it.

My weber doesn’t have anything to break. I buy a charcoal chimney ($5) about once a year as it stays out in the rain etc and eventually rusts through. You don’t have to clean out the charcoal after every use and if you use hardwood lump it leaves virtually no ash. I use a two stage fire 90% of the time and just build the new fire on the remains of the last fire (the unburned wood that gets extinguished when you close the vents). The ash catcher at the bottom needs to be emptied after you have burned about 25 lbs of charcoal which for me is about once a month. We grill 4 to 5 nights a week. With one of the days on the weekend involving a long smoking for ribs or butt or something like that.

After a while, the only thing i ever used the gas grill for was oysters or doing a corn and lobster roast (more grill surface area being the primary reason)

while i look at the fancy grills all the time, I don’t think i could pull the trigger again.

Thanks

Ditto. I have the same one. Built like a freaking tank. Weighs somewhere in the 400-500 lb range I think because of all of the stainless.

Speaking of tanks…I’ve had a Fire Magic gas grill for about 5 years now that is the best grill I’ve ever owned. Built like a tank as well. High grade stainless that stands up the the salt air here by the beach. Every other grill I’ve had has had some rust-through somewhere within a couple of years. Lifetime warranty on practically everything including grates and burners. And, it’s a blast furnace of heat. Certainly not cheap; but worth it if you grill as much as you say. That said, I also have friends with good experiences with the Weber Summit. I know others who bought the Lynx for its looks (I almost did too) and then had problems.

This is always the case! Man on the moon, but we can’t design a small mechanism that will consistently produce a spark. One of life’s great mysteries to me.

I cannot recommend a ceramic grill highly enough. I purchased a Kamado Joe about a month ago and I am in love. flirtysmile I have made the best ribs and barbecue ever and everyone who has tasted stuff cooked on this grill have raved about it. I also love the versatility as you can easily sear steaks to perfection, smoke anything you desire with ease and cook incredibly delicious pizzas. The gas grill has yet to be used. Another great device is a propylene torch which will get hardwood lump lit in about 90 seconds and ready to sear a steak in about 15 minutes. No longer than it would take to get a gas grill heated up.