Fried Green Tomato or what to do with these green. unripe ones?

I’m going to have a few green ones …it looks like!! What to do? Maybe a relish? I have never had a fried/baked green tomato sandwich … recipe?

Around these parts…

Slice 1/4 inch more or less, dip in eggs, dredge in cornmeal, fry in high smoke point oil till well browned, drain on rack (paper towel can make them soggy), plenty of salt, pepper if you like, and eat…never put them on bread because, you know, I’m watching my diet. [thankyou.gif]

Some people use a mixture of flower and corn meal. Some people slice them very thin and use only flower trying to make almost chips.

JD

Paul,

The best use I’ve found is Green Tomato Chutney, an English-style relish that’s fairly easy to make, is an excellent condiment, and, like a lot of chutneys, has a very long shelf live (years).

6 pounds green tomatoes
3 TBSP salt
2 pounds cooking apples, peeled/cored/coarsely chopped
1 pound red onions, peeled/thinly sliced
4 shallots, peeled/minced
3-4 garlic cloves, peeled/minced or pounded to a paste with a little salt in a mortar with a pestle
2 tsp freshly grated ginger
2 cups red wine vinegar
1 tsp cumin seed
3 whole cloves
1/4 cup dry mustard, or 1-2 TBSP mustard seed (I like the seed for the crunch)
1-1/2 cups packed dark brown sugar
1-1/2 cups dried currants (or coarsely chopped raisins)
1 tsp coriander seed
2 dried hottish to hot chili peppers (optional), or maybe a TBSP or so of a good, recently purchased chili powder.

Blanch the tomatoes a few at a time in boiling, salted water, then dunk them in cold water; when cool, peel them, cutting out any tough parts, cut them in half crosswise and squeeze out the seeds, then chop them into 1/2" pieces, toss with 2 TBSP salt and drain in a colander over a bowl or the sink for a couple of hours.

In a large enamel or other nonreactive saucepan or casserole combine the drained tomatoes, apples, onions, shallots, garlic, ginger, remaining TBSP salt, and 1 cup of the vinegar. Bring to a boil then simmer, stirring frequently, for 30 minutes.

While that’s cooking, finely grind the cumin seed, cloves, coriander seed, and chilies if you’re using them. Combine that mix with the mustard (powder or seed) and the brown sugar.

Add the remaining 1 cup vinegar, the spice mix, and the currants (or raisin pieces) to the tomato mix and simmer, stirring frequently, for another 45 minutes, or until it’s reduced by about one-fourth. Partway through, taste and add more salt (or any other seasoning) if needed.

Spoon the chutney into still warm, sterilized jars and seal. (I use half-pint and pint Ball or Kerr jars and lids). Store the unopened jars in a cool, dark place for at least a few months before using.

Makes about 10-12 half pints.

Great with cheeses, Indian food, cold meats, etc., etc…

Fried green tomatoes on there own is a delicious dish. I made this recipe just the other night and it was about perfect.

http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/fried-green-tomatoes-recipe" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I served it as a side with some Chicken, Andouille and Shrimp gumbo, and it really worked well. Try it with a rose Champagne.

You can also ripen your tomatoes indoors. We pick the greenies and wrap them individually in newspaper then place them in a closed box in a cool dry place (e.g. basement). It usually takes a couple of weeks for them to ripen which is a nice way of extending the homegrown tomato season! As the tomatoes are ripening, check them occasionally to make sure none have gone rotten.

Reese.