New toy: Pressure cooker

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
Chris Freemott
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#1 Post by Chris Freemott » October 23rd, 2010, 10:15 pm

Mel Hill's photos of stock got me wanting to make some and when he admitted he did it in a pressure cooker it was time for me to go get one.

So, I made 1.5 gallons of chicken stock today and it's really freaking fantastic. All bottled up and in the freezer for future use.

Tomorrow is beef stock (got me marrow too!) and after that who knows what I'll make.

I turn to you fine folks for some ideas. What should I make next?

Scott Manlin

#2 Post by Scott Manlin » October 23rd, 2010, 10:25 pm

Pressure cookers scare me
The Hedonist
Keepin' the Dragon at bay...

C. Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: New toy: Pressure cooker

#3 Post by C. Bowman » October 23rd, 2010, 11:33 pm

Scott Manlin wrote:Pressure cookers scare me
Why? If you use them properly there should be no fear.
Carrie
ITB in Napa Valley where Wine is made & Cigars are smoked

Twitter @nvwineandcigar

Brent C l a y t o n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by Brent C l a y t o n » October 24th, 2010, 6:03 am

I haven't used them extensively, but I used to have a dinner buddy who did and I can tell you they are great for artichokes when you don't have a grill, as well as the occasional one-pot dinner with a chicken or beef roast and root veggies.
‘Purveyor of Plonk’
Threadsinker
ITB Sales
IG@bigdaddyb420wine

Bob Wood
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by Bob Wood » October 24th, 2010, 6:04 am

Yep, fabulous for artichokes. You'll have to experiment with times, but start with about 10 minutes with a quick steam release.
"Do you want to sell sugar water for the rest of your life, or do you want to come with me and change the world?" - Steve Jobs, 1983

Mel Hill

#6 Post by Mel Hill » October 24th, 2010, 6:29 am

brown rice in 14 min
most dry beans ( I don't like to use the PC for Italian white beans) but Garbanzos headed to the food processor for sure
all kinds of braises

when I make stock I do three pressure cooks

#1 the browned protein and bones with fresh water

#2 the previously cooked protein and bones with new fresh water

#3 stock from #1 and #2 plus the veggies and herbs

defat and reduce till it tastes like it should

the one thing a PC won't do with stock is keep it clear.
for that you have to do a much longer and lower temp stock prep
like in the oven at 200˚ overnight

Brad Kane
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by Brad Kane » October 24th, 2010, 6:57 am

I'm with Scott, but then I've been witness to an IEPC, Improvised Exploding Pressure Cooker.
itb.

George Hejna
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by George Hejna » October 24th, 2010, 7:55 am

Chris Freemott wrote:. All bottled up and in the freezer for future use.
I looked in my freezer and didn't see any???? [wink.gif]

George

Chris Freemott
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#9 Post by Chris Freemott » October 24th, 2010, 9:55 am

Jorge - you can have some for sure.

I need to do a bottle swap. Full ones for empty ones. Have another gallon of beef stock on right now. I need me some containers!!!

Too bad the boys can't drive - I'd have you send Ben over.

Victor Hong

#10 Post by Victor Hong » October 24th, 2010, 10:48 am

Chris Freemott wrote:.....New toy: Pressure cooker........... What should I make next?
The mortgage business is the Mother of All Pressure Cookers, but you know that already.
WineHunter.

Mel Hill

#11 Post by Mel Hill » October 24th, 2010, 11:34 am

I like to chill it and defat the "jelly" or harder... and then bag in medium ziplocs (8 oz portions) and freeze the flattened bags between paper towels so they don't stick to each other. if making different stocks use a sharpie (prior to filling) to list what stock is in the bag.

Chris Freemott
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#12 Post by Chris Freemott » October 24th, 2010, 11:42 am

Mel I'm thankful that a local board member is a friend and also employed by Nalgene. I've got a freezer full of 500 ml containers of stock now.

Total take last 2 days 6500 ml of chicken and 2500 ml of beef.

Today was the beef and I browned 3 pounds of marrow bones and 2 pounds of beef shank with tomato paste.

Into the PC for 1.5 hours. Took that and strained it. Reduced that liquid by half.

Took the remaining bones and beef and recovered with fresh water for another hour and a half.

Blended the two results and put that in the pc with herbs and veg. I figure I'll let that go for an hour or so and then reduce if necessary.

In your case is that second round with the bones where you extract the additional collagen?

Rick Gregory

#13 Post by Rick Gregory » October 24th, 2010, 11:51 am

Ok, I'll bite... why on earth would you bother doing stock in a pressure cooker? It's the easiest thing in the world to make as long as you have a stockpot.
Dang Rick, I think that's right on the money. - K. John Joseph

Chris Freemott
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#14 Post by Chris Freemott » October 24th, 2010, 11:55 am

Speed and attendance.

Rick Gregory

#15 Post by Rick Gregory » October 24th, 2010, 12:10 pm

Chris Freemott wrote:Speed and attendance.
Eh, I do stock on Sundays when I'm around usually. And I never take attendance. It's a bit odd to have an audience for your stock, I think.

Chris Freemott
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#16 Post by Chris Freemott » October 24th, 2010, 12:14 pm

well, it is Sunday and I'm doing stock - but I'm also cleaning, ran to the store, watching football etc.

And, you'd be amazed how many folks like to watch me cook. I think it's the chaps I wear while I work that brings 'em in.

To be more specific, it's more of a simplicity and unattended pot approach coupled with speed.

My range top sucks and I made Keller's mushroom stock about 2 months ago as prep for some of TFL's recipes I want to make - and it took my range over 12 hours to get done what other ranges should have done in less time.

I found that frustrating.

Victor Hong

#17 Post by Victor Hong » October 24th, 2010, 12:16 pm

No yak stock?
WineHunter.

Chris Freemott
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#18 Post by Chris Freemott » October 24th, 2010, 12:28 pm

No yak stock victor. It's like Madien Lane. Unloved, base product too expensive and no clearing price.

Rick Gregory

#19 Post by Rick Gregory » October 24th, 2010, 12:41 pm

Chris Freemott wrote:well, it is Sunday and I'm doing stock - but I'm also cleaning, ran to the store, watching football etc.

And, you'd be amazed how many folks like to watch me cook. I think it's the chaps I wear while I work that brings 'em in.
Eww....
To be more specific, it's more of a simplicity and unattended pot approach coupled with speed.

My range top sucks and I made Keller's mushroom stock about 2 months ago as prep for some of TFL's recipes I want to make - and it took my range over 12 hours to get done what other ranges should have done in less time.

Yeah, I hear that. I'm actually shopping for a new range. Sadly, there's no gas main near my house so I need to do electric [swearing.gif] Here's a protip though - turn the burner up. :)

Victor Hong

#20 Post by Victor Hong » October 24th, 2010, 4:52 pm

Rick Gregory wrote:
Chris Freemott wrote:well, it is Sunday and I'm doing stock - but I'm also cleaning, ran to the store, watching football etc.

Eww....

Yeah, I hear that. I'm actually shopping for a new range. Sadly, there's no gas main near my house so I need to do electric [swearing.gif] Here's a protip though - turn the burner up. :)
Typically, Chicago high-rise apartments have electric, not gas, stoves. Terrible for cooking. For that reason, I sold my 52nd-floor penthouse in the Near North district.
WineHunter.

Mel Hill

#21 Post by Mel Hill » October 24th, 2010, 6:43 pm

I don't PC the veggies more than 20 min and the second round on the bones is to get what is left of the good stuff.
though, 1.5 hours at pressure is pretty long I go about 1/2 that but I'll try longer on the next round of veal or beef stock.

I like to use the ziplocks so if I only need 4 oz I just cut the bag in 1/2 with a cleaver.

Robert Pollard-Smith
GCC Member
GCC Member

#22 Post by Robert Pollard-Smith » October 24th, 2010, 9:06 pm

Victor Hong wrote:
Rick Gregory wrote:

Eww....

Typically, Chicago high-rise apartments have electric, not gas, stoves. Terrible for cooking. For that reason, I sold my 52nd-floor penthouse in the Near North district.
You live with electric long enough, ya learn to make do. Simmering sucks, and dog forbid you should use any thin pan.

Which reminds me...
He's like a star on a foggy morning
When you think he's near, he's far away

Victor Hong

#23 Post by Victor Hong » October 25th, 2010, 4:35 am

Robert Pollard-Smith wrote:.........

You live with electric long enough, ya learn to make do. Simmering sucks, and dog forbid you should use any thin pan.

Which reminds me...
Pet or food?
WineHunter.

Tom.Cole

#24 Post by Tom.Cole » October 25th, 2010, 8:01 am

For those of you not familiar with the joys of pressure cooking, you are missing out on one of the great cooking inventions of all time. Modern day pressure cookers are extremely safe, so one should have no worries regarding the dangers of pressure cooking.

The advantages of a pressure cooker are:

1. Foods cooked in a pressure cooker retain more nutrients since less water is needed
2. Saves time - typical savings in time is 50%, often times much more
3. Saves energy - the energy savings are not trivial due to the decreased time and efficient use of the energy that is trapped inside the cooker rather than a large portion wasted heating up the kitchen
4. I think many foods taste better when cooked in a pressure cooker. For example, more gelatin is produced when making stock, corned beef retains more beef flavor, etc.
5. They are great multitaskers and can serve the purpose of a dutch oven, steamer, saucepan, deep fryer, braising pot, poaching pot, browning pan, sterilizer, and water bath for home canning

An example of time savings is that red beans and rice takes about an hour and a half rather than all day for cooking the beans. I particularly like cooking mushroom rissoto in the pressure cooker when using dried mushrooms - takes about ten minutes.

I have used them for decades. The Cuisinart is my current favorite - http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-CPC-600 ... 933&sr=8-1

Chris, an excellent book for pressure cooking techniques and recipes can be found here - http://www.amazon.com/Miss-Vickies-Pres ... 430&sr=1-1

Reese Ferry
GCC Member
GCC Member

#25 Post by Reese Ferry » October 25th, 2010, 8:34 am

I received a pressure cooker some years back as a gift. I tried using it a couple of times and every time I did the lid became
stuck as I was cooling it. So much so that I was unable to remove it for a while and it threw off the timing of the entire meal.

What did I do wrong? All of the positive comments above have me curious to attempt pressure cooking again but I'm worried I may just be a pressure cooker idiot .. blush

Victor Hong

#26 Post by Victor Hong » October 25th, 2010, 9:05 am

Reese Ferry wrote:I received a pressure cooker some years back as a gift. I tried using it a couple of times and every time I did the lid became
stuck as I was cooling it. So much so that I was unable to remove it for a while and it threw off the timing of the entire meal.

What did I do wrong? All of the positive comments above have me curious to attempt pressure cooking again but I'm worried I may just be a pressure cooker idiot .. blush
Did you open the pressure-release valve?

Signed,

General-All-Around Idiot
WineHunter.

Reese Ferry
GCC Member
GCC Member

#27 Post by Reese Ferry » October 25th, 2010, 6:57 pm

It's this one: " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and as far as I can tell it doesn't have a manual pressure release valve. I have mostly used the "quick release" method of pouring cold water over the lid to release the pressure and I'm not sure but I may have been taking it too far and actually creating a vacuum. [shrug.gif] That leads to a long wait before the lid eventually opens.

Maybe the thing is faulty ? Tho I'm afraid it's more likely a case of a "loose nut on the control panel". [scratch.gif]

Paul Bacino

#28 Post by Paul Bacino » October 26th, 2010, 6:10 am

Reese,

Maybe something in here?

http://www.fagoramerica.com/cookware/pr ... cooker_faq" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not sure thou!!

Reese Ferry
GCC Member
GCC Member

#29 Post by Reese Ferry » October 26th, 2010, 9:21 am

Paul Bacino wrote:Reese,

Maybe something in here?

http://www.fagoramerica.com/cookware/pr ... cooker_faq" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not sure thou!!

Thanks Paul. I'm going to try a little experimentation tonight with boiling water only and see if I can figure it out. If I'm unsuccessful the pot goes back into the pantry for good! Well, except when I use it as a base for my bamboo steamer.. perfect fit.

I will report back.

Reese.

Nola Palomar
BerserkerDay MVP
BerserkerDay MVP

#30 Post by Nola Palomar » October 26th, 2010, 10:04 am

I have pressure cookers and pressure canners. Love them. Saved me many times over and over again when I just don't have enough hours in the day. I used my small one today to make potato leek soup with Jamon Serrano. I fixed it start to finish in 35 minutes. Best thing in the world for Cocido.
Reese Ferry wrote:I received a pressure cooker some years back as a gift. I tried using it a couple of times and every time I did the lid became

Depends what kind you have. I suspect it is a Mirro?? It has a little lever inside the handle that sometimes doesn't lift up easily. If all the pressure has been released and the jiggler has been removed, slide a knife in between the handle and see if you can slide it up out of the locked position. It is just a little trick. Hope my explanation is understandable.
Nola
ITB

Veleta
Bodega Dominio Buenavista
D.O.P. Granada, Spain

Juan Manuel Palomar MD - 1948-2018 Husband, Father, Surgeon, Mentor, Winery owner & Winemaker, my everything...RIP
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

Michael Bowden
GCC Member
GCC Member

#31 Post by Michael Bowden » October 26th, 2010, 5:36 pm

Now imagine Freemott using one.....
I'm taller than Zach Lang.

It's Michael.....not Mike, Mark, Mick, Mikey...get it? got it? good.

Good fries are better than great tater tots.

Victor Hong

#32 Post by Victor Hong » October 26th, 2010, 7:21 pm

Michael Bowden wrote:
I just put down the phone with him. We were talking about pressure cookers.
WineHunter.

Chris Freemott
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#33 Post by Chris Freemott » October 26th, 2010, 7:33 pm

And the call required me to find the liquor cabinet upon reaching my home.

Victor Hong

#34 Post by Victor Hong » October 26th, 2010, 7:36 pm

Chris Freemott wrote:
And the call required me to find the liquor cabinet upon reaching my home.
Lock the gun cabinet.
WineHunter.

Reese Ferry
GCC Member
GCC Member

#35 Post by Reese Ferry » October 27th, 2010, 6:08 am

Nola Palomar wrote:I have pressure cookers and pressure canners. Love them. Saved me many times over and over again when I just don't have enough hours in the day. I used my small one today to make potato leek soup with Jamon Serrano. I fixed it start to finish in 35 minutes. Best thing in the world for Cocido.

Depends what kind you have. I suspect it is a Mirro?? It has a little lever inside the handle that sometimes doesn't lift up easily. If all the pressure has been released and the jiggler has been removed, slide a knife in between the handle and see if you can slide it up out of the locked position. It is just a little trick. Hope my explanation is understandable.
Thanks everyone for your help! Here's an update on my PC saga...

I did some experimentation last night with water only in the PC. My first try exactly replicated my previous
problem. I brought the PC up to pressure and then using the quick release method I depressurized the cooker
however the lid was stuck. More cold water and still stuck. I finally realized after a while that pressure
was not my problem. A vacuum had formed in the cooker. I discovered this by jamming a chopstick into the seal
to break it.

OK, once I realized that, I was able to move forward. It seems my problem is that this cooker goes from a pressurized
state to a vacuum state very quickly. I am able to free the lid if I am very diligent about releasing the pressure just as the
pot is depressurizing and even then as I am freeing (turning) the lid, the pot is trying to form a vacuum so I really have to force
it to open.

Is this normal or do I have a defective pressure cooker ?

Reese.

Nola Palomar
BerserkerDay MVP
BerserkerDay MVP

#36 Post by Nola Palomar » October 27th, 2010, 8:47 am

You say you use the Quick Release Method? Is that by running cold water over it? You still have to release the valve/lock

On the handle of the lid of your cooker there is a white part. That is the pressure release valve & lock. Try to push it forward in the direction of my arrow to see if it will unlock the lid.
4183NKC703L__SL500_AA300_.jpg
Where did you jam the chopstick??
Nola
ITB

Veleta
Bodega Dominio Buenavista
D.O.P. Granada, Spain

Juan Manuel Palomar MD - 1948-2018 Husband, Father, Surgeon, Mentor, Winery owner & Winemaker, my everything...RIP
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

Reese Ferry
GCC Member
GCC Member

#37 Post by Reese Ferry » October 27th, 2010, 12:35 pm

Hi Nola,

Yes, I was using the pressure release button. The problem with my PC seems to be that once it gets into a vacuum state the pressure release button doesn't work and it goes to the vacuum state very quickly.

However, I think I'm developing a reliable release method... Place the PC in the sink, apply cold water gently and as the pressure indicator is just about at "zero" hit the button and *hold it* for a while while turning the water off. After maybe 30 seconds the lid comes off easily (no vacuum). Much more involved than how it is described in the manual but it works and I think I will start using it again.

Thanks again for your help!!! [thankyou.gif]

Reese.

Jeff Fish
GCC Member
GCC Member

#38 Post by Jeff Fish » October 28th, 2010, 8:24 am

I have a Kuhn Rikon pressure cooker and it couldn't be easier to use. I have successfully made rissoto several times but was also looking to do more with it. So, prompted by this thread, I picked up Miss Vickie's book of recipes and a book titled The Pressure Cooker Gourmet " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. At first glance, Miss Vickie's seems to use more pantry staple items and is fairly simplistic. I made a pork sirloin roast with creamy dijon sauce recipe last night that echoes this (but it was pretty good). I plan on spending some time this weekend going through both books to see what they offer.
Jeffrey D. Fish

Shut the up, Donny. You're out of your element.

Tom.Cole

#39 Post by Tom.Cole » October 29th, 2010, 9:01 am

Jeff, you are correct that for most of the recipes in Miss Vickie's book, they are pretty much your standard ranch stash. That said, the book has excellent advice on techniques to get the most out of your pressure cooker. For those new to pressure cooking, the technique discussions are well worth the entry fee.

Bill Tex Landreth

#40 Post by Bill Tex Landreth » October 29th, 2010, 9:04 am

Michael Bowden wrote:
For some odd reason, this image immediately popped into my head...

It's not easy being drunk all the time. Everyone would be doing it if it were easy.

Frank Drew
GCC Member
GCC Member

#41 Post by Frank Drew » October 29th, 2010, 9:22 am

Reese,

Info courtesy of my pressure cooker instruction booklet [paraphrasing]:

If the lid is hard to remove, lube the mating surfaces of the lid/pot with some vegetable oil prior to using. If it's operating correctly, a pressure cooker shouldn't create a vacuum, it should have a vacuum release feature because a vacuum could draw all the moisture out of vegetables, say, if that's what you were cooking.

The one I currently have was a gift from a friend who rarely used it, a '40s design National Pressure Cooker Company #7, a huge old thing. I just used it to sterilize some jars for canning, but it's been unused otherwise. I think a smaller, more modern design would be more useful for me.

Mont Stern
GCC Member
GCC Member

#42 Post by Mont Stern » October 29th, 2010, 9:53 am

Jeff Fish wrote:I have a Kuhn Rikon pressure cooker and it couldn't be easier to use. I have successfully made rissoto several times but was also looking to do more with it. So, prompted by this thread, I picked up Miss Vickie's book of recipes and a book titled The Pressure Cooker Gourmet " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. At first glance, Miss Vickie's seems to use more pantry staple items and is fairly simplistic. I made a pork sirloin roast with creamy dijon sauce recipe last night that echoes this (but it was pretty good). I plan on spending some time this weekend going through both books to see what they offer.
After having the pressure cooker risotto at Jeff's house a couple of years ago, I bought one and have made it a few times. [thankyou.gif] With the pressure cooker, risotto is a piece of cake. [winner.gif]

bdamico

#43 Post by bdamico » November 1st, 2010, 5:51 pm

I love my Kuhn Rikon 8qt stock pot pressure cooker, great for making stock in no time, artichokes are so good in it and they cook very fast, great with beans, lentils, etc.
But with risotto I still like making it the traditional way.
Bob

"I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food."--W.C. Fields

Reese Ferry
GCC Member
GCC Member

#44 Post by Reese Ferry » November 2nd, 2010, 5:28 pm

Frank Drew wrote:Reese,

Info courtesy of my pressure cooker instruction booklet [paraphrasing]:

If the lid is hard to remove, lube the mating surfaces of the lid/pot with some vegetable oil prior to using. If it's operating correctly, a pressure cooker shouldn't create a vacuum, it should have a vacuum release feature because a vacuum could draw all the moisture out of vegetables, say, if that's what you were cooking.

The one I currently have was a gift from a friend who rarely used it, a '40s design National Pressure Cooker Company #7, a huge old thing. I just used it to sterilize some jars for canning, but it's been unused otherwise. I think a smaller, more modern design would be more useful for me.
Thanks Frank. I tried this and I did notice a slight difference. As I was depressurizing I heard a whoosh-pop (or was it a pop-whoosh?) and I thought "it worked" but then the pot went immediately to vacuum as usual. No worries tho as I now know how to handle this situation.. back onto the stove to neutralize the vacuum. I think I just have a crappy PC but I'm learning how to work with it.

Reese.

Return to “Epicurean Exploits - Food and Recipes”