PSA - Need cookware?

I bopped into our local Home Goods store last night. I guess they’re all wrapped up in the same package with TJ Maxx and Marshalls, but all home stuff and no clothing. Okay . . . whatever.

Thing is, they had some screaming deals on Calphalon Tri-Ply Stainless cookware, which I like as much as All-Clad - and I like the handles a lot better. They also had some random pieces of All-Clad Copper Core and Le Creuset, but the real deals were on the Calphalon. Oh, and they had some brushed stainless stock pots with the Palm restaurant label on them for about $60. Thing is, they were at least 20 quarts, maybe larger. You don’t find those every day except at the restaurant supply house, and these were less industrial looking.

Anyway, the Calphalon:
$19.99 - 10-inch skillet
$39.99 - 12-inch skillet, 4.5-quart saucepan, 5-qt. saute pan, 8-quart stockpot.

The selection may vary at your local store but these prices are 50% of Macy’s lowest sale price, so grab 'em if you need 'em. Hell, at those prices they can almost become disposable.

Sick deal for tri-ply stainless

Seriously [swoon.gif]

Great tip
thanks Woody

I can never figure out how they price stuff. I was in TJMax today and they were selling allclad for more than it lists for. Go figure. Great price the Calphalon, the store in SF proper did not have any.

They probably just look it up in a catalog and don’t bother with getting the correct model, so the ‘full retail’ is a price for an entirely different product

With my many experiences with TJMaxx/HomeGoods/Marshals I have found that there are many seconds, old inventories, discontinued models. A great example is the 8 qt Le Creuset oval french oven I purchased for $180. It is an odd size probably made for a large retailer like Macys or something as there is no 8qt french oval in the Le Creuset lineup anywhere. The Shun knives seem to be packaged for discount stores as they are sans box, just in a clamshell with sleeve. The model numbers on the sleeve usually have an x or something different than the Shun site show. The knives look like firsts as I see not detectable flaws.

I don’t know this line you speak of as I use many other makers, it sure could be just an old inventory.

this is true. their business model is to buy what ever is available from designers and other retailers (they liquidate) in addition to liquidators. They get good product because in return for getting access to decent product they don’t do returns with their suppliers. I have found some amazing deals at Marshalls/TJMaxx. The company I work (global media buying group) for has a trade division. A lot of our clients will have massive inventories that they could not sell. We will buy that inventory from them at full value so they don’t take a loss on their books. In return they agree to buy a certain amount of media from us blind. We in turn will take the merchandise (it’s been planes, property and other odd things in addition to shoes and the normal stuff) and dump it to a retailer like Marshall’s. We make up our loss on the profit from the media.

BTW, I have never seen Shun knives but sure would like to.

If you’re referring to the Calphalon SSTP that’s assuredly not the case. These items are identical to what’s being sold today (and was being sold 6 years ago) at Macy’s, other department stores, Cutlery.com and God only knows where else.

Old inventory as in old inventory as in a store no longer around inventory and maybe liquidated. I never meant old styled inventory.
I am sure its the same. Could be seconds though?

Could be. Not any good way to tell.

Bob,
Bang Calphalon Stainless Steel Tri Ply into google.
I got a pile of hits for stuff in that 39.00 range.

Can you look and see if it matches what you saw at Home Goods please.

That price may, or may not, be a screaming deal depending if we’re comparing apples and oranges

The Allclad will be stamped with an “S” underneath the handle or where the handle is riveted to the pan.

I just returned and its all true. Lots of All Clad for sale at my HomeGoods. A real nice 9 inch French skillet, many size fryers, sautes, et al.
Each piece about $60ish
If I buy one more bit of cookware my wife will KILL me.

The ‘S’ was present in what I had seen today, so seconds they are.
You have your answer.

You’d have to give me the URLs for what you found, 'cause when I did it the majority of the first page was either the Calphalon corporate site or Macy’s.

Here’s the page for just the skillets at Cutlery and More. Note that the 10" pan is $39.95 and the 12" is $94.95 - vs. $19.99 and $39.99 at HG. Also, the 4.5 quart saucepan is $129.95 vs. $39.95. I could go on but the results are similar. http://www.cutleryandmore.com/calphalon-tri-ply-stainless/skillet-p117183" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And yes, this is the exact same pan - though what HG has may indeed be seconds, and I can’t tell.

FWIW, the 12" “everyday” pan (essentially a 12" skillet with two loop handles and called “brasier” pan on the C&M site) and the 3 quart “chef’s” pan are my two favorite pans. They didn’t have any at HG but they’re almost always available at Macy’s or elsewhere for $40 and $80 respectively. Still cheap.

FWIW, Cuisinart also makes a line that’s fully tri-ply. It’s about the same price as the Calphalon and just as nice. Their other line that’s just got the sandwich on the bottom is obviously unacceptable, though I don’t mind that particular feature in stock pots at all.

Bob,
I was in the office on a conference call killing time.
I would agree that most of my hits were shopping sites with macy’s and amazon leading the charge in the $39.99 area.

I happened to stop by a HG store today for 5 minutes to see if what you’d found jumped out at me. At the one I visited, it did not so that’s why I was inquiring for more data - which I appreciate you providing.

What I did find were those French pans though I didn’t know enough about the line to make intelligent decisions on the spot. I’ll be visiting another HG shortly to take a closer look and review model numbers and the like.

I’m looking for a 10", 12" skillet as well as some kind of deep saute pan in the 12-14" range (and one of each would be just fine).

The HG store I was in did have the All-Clad copper core which I have a piece or two of and really enjoy and found the price to be darn attractive though at $100-169 per piece not so much that I needed it.

At the pricing you outlined it does appear to be a ‘no-brainer’ - I was just wondering if I was looking at the pieces the right way and if what they had was a specific quality level or not.

Thanks again for the tip.

C

There is nothing wrong with the seconds. The biggest flaw I have seen in them was a LTD handle om a MC2 pan. BFD.

Bob - Thanks for the PSA - I picked up the 12 inch skillet today. I wanted to take home a 20 qt stockpot as well, but my wife said NO.

All Clad Factory Sale going on again

Code: ACSUMMER18