Best pan/skillet for steaks

I’m at the point where I prefer my steaks seared stovetop and finished in the oven, but I’ve been using a pretty basic skillet and transferring to a dish to put in the oven.

I’d like to get a nicer vessel so I can use it for both applications.

My gut reaction was this, but would a cast iron work better? Does anyone have a dedicated cast iron for steaks that never sees soap or a dishwasher?

None of my cast iron ever sees the sink, except for the occasional hot water … it’s the best for cooking steaks stovetop, even on electric. I swear by it.

I’m eyeing some of the Le Creuset skillets as well, we love the brand but don’t have any of their skillets or pans.

That pan is way too expensive, get a good cast iron for $30sih.

Also, you mentioned that you prefer stove top steaks when compared to a grilled steak. What BBQ are you using?

Cast Iron is the defacto standard. Although, I have been recently giving my old hot handle original Calphalon anodized aluminum pan a good workout.

My girlfriend had a basic Weber at her house and I was getting good at that, but since then we’ve sold the house and lived in an apartment for the last 2 years. I just acquired better technique for cooking stovetop. I’m not anti-grill, they’re just not practical for apartment living. The courtyard has some gas grills but I haven’t used them yet.

good call, apt’s aren’t usually kosher with charcoal grilling on the patios etc.

go check out lodge cast iron pans, last forever and much cheaper than the pan you were looking at

Does anyone believe there’s an advantage in getting a $150+ Le Creuset cast iron vs a $30 one?

Not here.

Didn’t think I’d be able to wrap this one up so quickly, thanks guys. [cheers.gif]

My wife and I currently are using her grandmother’s cast iron pans for this purpose. It taken care of, seasoned well, they last forever and work perfectly.

JD

Only if you’re making sauce that is reactive. I prefer creuset cast iron when making braised short ribs or risotto but straight cast iron is king for steaks.

If you want enameled cast iron (I don’t, at least not for a skillet), get the Lodge: http://www.lodgemfg.com/enamel-skillets-grillpans.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; List price on the Lodge website is $59.95, but you can find it for $35-40.

Might want to search out some garage sales…cast iron is king…but they dont make them like they used to (told by a employee of the Lodge factory to a good friend).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00008GKDN/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00063RXQA&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1QS5YEYCQX2B4QJFP31C" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is a Lodge Flat pan… I usually use the standard pan with 2 edge "… do you think, the flat would be any better or worse?

Pros: The Flat wouldn’t let the steak set in a steamy environment ?

Can you tell me your method for cleaning and storing? I’ve always broken down and washed the thing by hand, knowing that you “are not supposed to,” but not ever feeling that the thing was clean and able to be stored without attracting ants, etc.

You live in Texas and cook steak in a pan, on a stove? Can’t you go to jail for that?
[snort.gif]

George

If I’m not mistaken, enameled cast iron cannot handle the very high heat that is best for searing a steak - the finish will peel/crack.

Enameled cast iron is more for low and slow needs - braising, risotto, etc. Cast iron is indestructible, and will rebound less when you first put the meat in the pan. Just be patient and let it come to full temperature - it takes quite a while longer than your standard stainless pan.

Only if you started out as a Yankee. Born and bred Texans get a pass on this.

You help Le Creuset’s bottom line. But not much difference to the beef…