Your Sous Vide Recipes

Anybody willing to throw down their favorite sous vide items with temps, times and preps.

I made some carrots at 183F for two hours. A dab of butter. Magic.
Also shallots done with a teaspoon of “Better than Bouillon” from Whole Foods ( a demiglace really). 183F for two hours. Some of the best I have ever tasted.
I love to do meats also and finish on the grill.

What are your favs?

Don…

Probably short ribs!! I do mine 36-48 hrs- @ 138/135. Now I use a pre-made Yashida sauce in mine. Then hit it on the hot grill.

These are Flannery Short Ribs…

Out of curiosity, what kind of SV setup are you all using? The self-contained Sous Vide Supreme box, or a more homegrown variety?

been using this for a few months now and love it. so easy. combined with a $50 slow cooker.

I did a modification of an Achatz recipe. Sous-vide lamb tenderloin, in EVOO at 135 for 20 min. Put in ice water. Cubed in to about 1" squares and then right before serving seared for a bout 1 min. then topped with 3 different “sauces” The meat was perfect.

George

Homemade and a little redneck.

I am using an industrial grade PID temp controller, a bubbler/heater from Fresh Meals Solutions in Canada(this rocks btw) and a giant igloo cooler. I still don’t have optimal vacuum equipment. That is a work in progress.
This heater will control a box that holds up to 10 gallons of water. This is the flexibility that the Sous Vide Supreme doesn’t give. Also it is highly portable.
FWIW.

Yaacov,
That is my PID controller. It works extremely well. BTW PID stands for Proportional Integral Derivative controller. It has a feedback loop on the inside that is set to respond to changes that are controlled on a moment to moment basis through a sensitive temperature probe. Highly accurate.

Don - this is the exact setup that I have been considering, and the total cost is less than what one would pay for a SV Supreme, and you aren’t limited by it’s relatively small space. What are you currently using for your vacuum solution, and what do you think you really need? I have a FoodSaver, but from what I understand it is not truly “industrial” enough for true SV. From what I have researched, this is also where it’s very difficult to keep the cost down.

Kent,
I am trying to “redneck” it again.
My next step is to use the Handy Freezer bag with vacuum pump.
It looks a little like something out of the back of a Playboy magazine but supposedly works great.
About $0.25 a bag once you pay $4 for a few bags and the pump.
I have tried a straw and freezer bags. Suboptimal! I can suck the stuff out but can’t get the straw out fast enough and get it closed. It is just never perfect and it needs to be close to perfect for sous vide.
I just can’t fork over the money yet for a several hundred dollar vacuum sealing product like the one from Cabella’s that you use to seal venison and game for freezing.

Thanks for all the recipes thus far.

When did you get so sous vide crazy?

SV lamb shanks. Cut shanks in half, S&P, sear well. Package two halves to a Food Saver bag. Add more S&P, several garlic cloves, and a sprig of rosemary and seal. SV at 160 degrees for 48 hrs. Served with risotto Milanesa. Food Saver has always worked fine for me. If there is significant liquid, freeze it in the bag before pumping and sealing. I use the SV Supreme.

It looks a little like something out of the back of a Playboy magazine…

Which I’m sure you found at Brother Fleming’s home…No way your lovely wife would allow such material in your abode.

That seems way long. I would think you would really pull some nasty stuff out of the rosemary and garlic at those temps and time.

GH

I am trying to find ways to put things in a holding pattern but still have something that tastes good.
My schedule is about to get less predictable.

In answer to the question I’m using the sous vide supreme.

I use my SVE at least every other week. Cooked a leg of lamb for easter, 135-F for close to ten hours, finished in a pan (well, a casserole that I used as a pan) to brown it and then make some pan sauce. Great lamb.

My favorite recipe is duck breat - I’ll dig up the temps - though I take off the skin and cook on a rack over a pan so that I end up with both some duck bacon to serve with the breasts and a renewed stash of duckfat. I just strain the stuff through a double layer of cheesecloth and I have the purest duckfat imaginable.

I used Scott Manlin’s “recipe” for butter poached strip steaks this past weekend. 2 strip steaks each 1 1/2 - 2’’ thick and 1 lb per butter per pouch. Also add in some fresh thyme and rosemary sprigs. Cook for 2 hours at 120 degrees. Season with salt and pepper and sear in a f’in hot cast iron pan. Melt-in-your-mouth goodness. And make sure to keep the “meat butter” reserves for other uses (such as popcorn and eggs, both of which were a hit w/my kids).

My friend from whom I borrowed the sv machine smoked babyback ribs for 3 hours then sv’d them for 48 hours (I don’t know the temp). Flash fried them and served w/bbq sauce and they were a big hit also.

This thread needs a bump.

This weekend I used the recipe from Heston Blumenthal’s new book to sous vide salmon. I cook a lot of salmon - nothing easier - but this was, by far, the best I’ve ever made. Salmon with Bois Boudran sauce and crushed potatoes.

The salmon was as easy as…
I sliced the filet into 6 to 8 oz pieces, bagged with about 2 tablespoons of EVOO each. That was little enough that it could thickly coat the fish and not all get sucked out when I vacu-sealed them.

20 minutes at 122-F.

I finished the filets in a pan, searing, skin side down, until the skin started to crisp and brown just a little. That was it.