Purple Haze cheese

The other week at a food & wine party, one of the cheeses that was put out was Purple Haze. It’s from Cypress Grove, and it’s a fresh goat cheese sprinkled on the outside with lavender and fennel pollen. It’s one of the best new cheeses I’ve tasted in a while. An appetizer we tried at home was to take fresh Medjool dates and stuff them with some of the Purple Haze–it’s a great combination of sweetness and pungent, herbal goat cheese. Highly recommended!

Bruce

This is a terrific cheese, Bruce. I think I first was introduced to it somewhere in Sonoma a few years back. Happily, we can get it in Houston – and routinely do. Very fine stuff … retains that true goat cheese character without being overwhelmed. Great stuff. As is the Cypress Grove Humboldt Fog, though I think I prefer the Purple Haze.

I love this cheese too. Have you tried the Truffle Tremor? It is also one of my favorites from Cypress Grove. I bought the Herbes de Humboldt last week and did not love it.
They are a great company and one of Humboldt’s success stories. Last year I contacted them to see if I could get a large amount of their cheese to serve at Hospice du Rhone as a part of a Taste of Humboldt. I was looking for a bulk discount or wholesale deal and they gave it all to me for free. Very nice people.
I will have to try the stuffed dates, great idea! [cheers.gif]

Actually served it last night.

Kimberly–Haven’t run across the Truffle one; I’ll keep an eye out for it. Bruce

Costco of all places had some of this last summer. We polished it off in short order.

Ive enjoyed everything Ive had from Cypress Grove. They know what they are doing.

The truffle cheese is killer! Try a triple cream brie with dates-a combo made in heaven. Even better with a nice champagne.

Well said; they really do a fine job.

I also like the cheeses from Cowgirl.

Or try a goat/brie or bleu stuffed in figs, drizzled with a couple drops of reduced balsamic and wrapped in a piece of prosciutto and an arugula leaf, Have done this with Humbolt Fog - not too shabby

This is my go-to recipe whenever fresh figs are available. I use the Spanish blue, Cabrales. It’s one of the most intense blues, and it’s awesome with figs. I’ve never tried it with the reduced balsamic though. That sounds even better. I’m going to give that a try.

I saw the Purple Haze locally. I’m going to pick it up now.

Gilding the lily? [wow.gif] Besides, no fair adding pork products; that’s cheating!

Bruce

Is there a story behind “purple haze” or is the hendrix song appropriation accidental ?

I assume it’s an intentional reference to the Hendrix tune as well as a reference to the purple color of the lavender.

Bruce

+1 !!!

I like everything from Cypress Grove but particularly like Midnight Moon, an aged goat cheese that is part of their Cream Line of cheeses.

My local Whole Foods has the truffle tremor and I think it’s awesome, albeit a bit pricey. I’ll be on the lookout for the PH now…

Midnight Moon, that sounds good…

If you ever find yourself near Claremont CA find The Cheese Cave. Have had the opportunity to try all of the cheeses mentioned here. They also do a great job of pairing wines and meats to cheeses

By the way, I’ve been stuffing the Purple Haze cheese in fresh medjool dates and wrapping them in prosciutto–delicious!

Bruce

Love Cypress Grove.