KFC buffet

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
Tom.Cole

KFC buffet

#1 Post by Tom.Cole » May 24th, 2011, 9:10 am

I do not believe this has been discussed before. Kentucky Fried Chicken has a $5 buffet that includes all the original, crispy, and broiled chicken that one can eat - spicy for some reason is not included. Plus, sides of mustard greens, butter beans, black eyed peas, red beans, mashed potatoes with gravy, corn bread, biscuits and other assorted sides that, although not the greatest of gourmet foods, are still durned decent foods. A not half bad dessert is also included.

The downside - no breasts unless asked for, but for me, this is not a downside. I prefer dark meat, particularly legs. Drinks and tax add another $1.50 or so depending upon one's state and local tax rate. The mashed potatoes and gravy are not that great, actually fairly pedestrian but still edible, but the mustard greens are as good as I have ever had. Butter beans are not half bad either.

If there is a better deal on fast food, I would like to hear opinions as to what it might be.

JKim
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: KFC buffet

#2 Post by JKim » May 24th, 2011, 9:30 am

In-n-Out

DD+fries+med soda= $5.75 + tax

I'll take In-n-Out every day of the week over KFC, although KFC isn't bad for what it is. I prefer Popeye's, but they only seem to be located in da hood.
Joe

Francis S

#3 Post by Francis S » May 24th, 2011, 10:18 am

I just saw an all-you-can-eat commertial for Denny's pancakes. $4.
Fr@nc!s S0res1
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music."
I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'.

Cris Whetstone
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by Cris Whetstone » May 24th, 2011, 10:21 am

JKim wrote:I prefer Popeye's, but they only seem to be located in da hood.
I as well. We have one here in HB which isn't exactly 'da hood'. [tease.gif]
WetRock

"Man prefers to believe what he prefers to be true." - Francis Bacon

"I had taken two finger-bowls of champagne and the scene had changed before my eyes into something significant, elemental, and profound." - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

John Liotta

#5 Post by John Liotta » May 24th, 2011, 10:26 am

What exactly is wrong with the hood?
Past- ITB Wine
Present- ITB Beer

David Walker

#6 Post by David Walker » May 24th, 2011, 10:44 am

I was just about to write how there is no Popeye's within x mile radius of where I now live and how I so miss it only to discover there appears to be one located in the basement of the Hotel Buckminster in Kenmore Square...

Tom.Cole

#7 Post by Tom.Cole » May 24th, 2011, 10:47 am

In and Out - hamburger and fries.

KFC - chicken, greens, beans, salads, slaw, biscuits, corn bread, dessert.... For me, no brainer, and I like In and Out.

Which choice might be healthier?

Paul Bacino

#8 Post by Paul Bacino » May 24th, 2011, 10:52 am

We just don't eat Buffet style anymore.. but we liked it for value too!!

But I always had the crispy stuff..

Cris Whetstone
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by Cris Whetstone » May 24th, 2011, 10:54 am

Tom.Cole wrote:In and Out - hamburger and fries.

KFC - chicken, greens, beans, salads, slaw, biscuits, corn bread, dessert.... For me, no brainer, and I like In and Out.

I would say neither is 'healthy' unless you ate only the greens and beans from the buffet. But I would bet even those are full of preservatives and hydrogenated oils.
WetRock

"I had taken two finger-bowls of champagne and the scene had changed before my eyes into something significant, elemental, and profound." - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#10 Post by Todd F r e n c h » May 24th, 2011, 10:55 am

Tom.Cole wrote:In and Out - hamburger and fries.

Eating at home.

Being in the 'singles' scene forces me to stay away from both!
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

Tom.Cole

#11 Post by Tom.Cole » May 24th, 2011, 10:56 am

JKim wrote:...I prefer Popeye's, but they only seem to be located in da hood.
While Popeye's is seriously good fried chicken for fast food, and I have eaten it for decades, this post was not about who has the best fried chicken. This post was about who has a better fast food meal for less than $7. All you can eat is one of the key aspects of this post as well as the sides that are clearly a healthy food choice.

Cris Whetstone
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12 Post by Cris Whetstone » May 24th, 2011, 10:59 am

My local Popeye's have a Tuesday special. A leg and a thigh for $0.99. Two of those is too much food for me and is nothing close to healthy but I cannot resist going about once a month and splurging.
WetRock

Tom.Cole

#13 Post by Tom.Cole » May 24th, 2011, 11:11 am

Todd F r e n c h wrote:Eating at home.
Clearly. But this post is about eating fast food and what constitutes a better deal.

Joe G a l e w s k i
GCC Member
GCC Member

#14 Post by Joe G a l e w s k i » May 24th, 2011, 11:17 am

Don't you have to consider the health implications when determining a good deal or not? Health care is not cheap, neither are weight loss programs.

timmy roos
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15 Post by timmy roos » May 24th, 2011, 11:32 am

I prefer Five Guys over in n out.
Burger(with all fixins and more) fries and drink for about 7 bucks + all you can eat peanuts(which adheres to the sprit of this thread)
Things are getting funny these day

Tom.Cole

#16 Post by Tom.Cole » May 24th, 2011, 11:33 am

Broiled chicken, mustard greens, butter beans, black eyed peas, red beans, cole slaw, etc. What is unhealthy about this meal? Minimal saturated fat in the meat protein, plus phytochemicals in the greens and cole slaw, and roughage in the beans. About as healthy a meal as one could ask for in the fast food realm in the U.S. Certainly more healthy than a burger and fries. What other fast food proprietor offers a more healthy menu choice for this price?

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#17 Post by c fu » May 24th, 2011, 2:22 pm

Cris Whetstone wrote:My local Popeye's have a Tuesday special. A leg and a thigh for $0.99. Two of those is too much food for me and is nothing close to healthy but I cannot resist going about once a month and splurging.
You eat like a field mouse.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

ITB -Salt Vine Wines

Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/clayfu.wine

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#18 Post by c fu » May 24th, 2011, 2:23 pm

Tom.Cole wrote:Broiled chicken, mustard greens, butter beans, black eyed peas, red beans, cole slaw, etc. What is unhealthy about this meal? Minimal saturated fat in the meat protein, plus phytochemicals in the greens and cole slaw, and roughage in the beans. About as healthy a meal as one could ask for in the fast food realm in the U.S. Certainly more healthy than a burger and fries. What other fast food proprietor offers a more healthy menu choice for this price?
I'm not even thinking healthy, I think this is an awesome deal and I would partake in unlimited fried chicken for $5 any day of the week.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

ITB -Salt Vine Wines

Tom.Cole

#19 Post by Tom.Cole » May 24th, 2011, 2:43 pm

Charlie Fu wrote:I'm not even thinking healthy, I think this is an awesome deal and I would partake in unlimited fried chicken for $5 any day of the week.
You have completely understood the point of my original post. Well done!

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#20 Post by c fu » May 24th, 2011, 2:54 pm

Tom.Cole wrote:
Charlie Fu wrote:I'm not even thinking healthy, I think this is an awesome deal and I would partake in unlimited fried chicken for $5 any day of the week.
You have completely understood the point of my original post. Well done!
KFC isn't half bad fried chicken, I actually like the original a lot. There are better places but at $5 all you can eat.. geeeeeeezzzz, sign me up. I've seen one when driving home from the dessert , wish there was one near me.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

ITB -Salt Vine Wines

Stuart BeauneHead Niemtzow

#21 Post by Stuart BeauneHead Niemtzow » May 24th, 2011, 3:00 pm

timmy roos wrote:I prefer Five Guys over in n out.
Burger(with all fixins and more) fries and drink for about 7 bucks + all you can eat peanuts(which adheres to the sprit of this thread)
Timmy....that peanut buffet does it for me...that is...puts it into the subject matter at hand here.

So, could you elaborate? I've never experienced in n out, and assume you have.....People who've had both are divided, but...I've never understood the nuances. (The local food critic here says that the fries are a lot better at 5 Guys..but the burgers seem better at in n out..)

I don't eat at fast food a lot...in fact, other than at Popeye's 3-4 times a year (unless Five Guys is?)....not at all....but...this buffet seems like a finger lickin' value.
Last night the Food Network did a "Best" show with chefs' commenting on their favorite fried chicken places....I stayed up beyond my normal bedtime....to watch...

Tom.Cole

#22 Post by Tom.Cole » May 24th, 2011, 3:07 pm

Charlie, the original recipe is my all time favorite, and I have been eating fried chicken all over the south for well over 50 years in various and sundry forms. I do not know why the original recipe is my favorite, but there it is.

I believe that you can find a buffet nearest to you by doing an internet seach.

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#23 Post by c fu » May 24th, 2011, 3:12 pm

Tom.Cole wrote:Charlie, the original recipe is my all time favorite, and I have been eating fried chicken all over the south for well over 50 years in various and sundry forms. I do not know why the original recipe is my favorite, but there it is.

I believe that you can find a buffet nearest to you by doing an internet seach.
I've tried before, none around me =( We even have a Church's Chicken so this shocks me!
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

ITB -Salt Vine Wines

Tom.Cole

#24 Post by Tom.Cole » May 24th, 2011, 3:39 pm

Charlie Fu wrote:...We even have a Church's Chicken so this shocks me!
Church's originated in Texas, San Antonio to be specific. The original owners have a mansion outside of Luling - very interesting out of place place. Very good chicken, but, in my opinion, holds no candle to Kentucky Fried Chicken, and I am clearly an obnoxious Texan, proud of place, but equally cognizant of superior quality when confronted with it.

Bob Wood
GCC Member
GCC Member

#25 Post by Bob Wood » May 24th, 2011, 4:45 pm

Damn. Closest KFC with a buffet is 20 miles away, but now that we're on this subject I've got a hankerin' for some red beans and rice from Popeye's.
"Do you want to sell sugar water for the rest of your life, or do you want to come with me and change the world?" - Steve Jobs, 1983

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

KFC buffet

#26 Post by c fu » May 24th, 2011, 5:18 pm

Bob Wood wrote:Damn. Closest KFC with a buffet is 20 miles away, but now that we're on this subject I've got a hankerin' for some red beans and rice from Popeye's.
Think I'm going to get me some fried chicken. I live near an impressive collection of independent roasted and fried chicken stores.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

ITB -Salt Vine Wines

Mark.Ricca
GCC Member
GCC Member

#27 Post by Mark.Ricca » May 25th, 2011, 5:11 am

Unlimited KFC for $5.00 is still just KFC.
Haven't been able to eat it since I was a kid. [bleh.gif]

I can get more than I can eat just as fast at a Vietnamese place near me for under $10.00 and I know that it's wholesome and healthy.
ITB
"Bacon would improve the flavor of an angel"
"Outside of a dog a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
"We're a lot like licorice. Not everybody likes licorice, but the people who like licorice, really like licorice."

Michel Abood
GCC Member
GCC Member

#28 Post by Michel Abood » May 25th, 2011, 6:00 am

Todd F r e n c h wrote:Being in the 'singles' scene forces me to stay away from both!
If I were you I wouldn't try picking up anyone hanging out at KFC. pepsi
Guess what? I'm ITB-> Vinotas Selections

Stuart BeauneHead Niemtzow

#29 Post by Stuart BeauneHead Niemtzow » May 25th, 2011, 6:36 am

[basic-smile.gif]

Dan Hammer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#30 Post by Dan Hammer » May 25th, 2011, 6:59 am

All this talk of food is making me hungry. I think I'll do sushi for lunch today. A little more expensive, and a lot healthier.
This space for rent.

Bob Wood
GCC Member
GCC Member

#31 Post by Bob Wood » May 25th, 2011, 7:38 am

Dan Hammer wrote:All this talk of food is making me hungry. I think I'll do sushi for lunch today. A little more expensive, and a lot healthier.
If it weren't for the worms and the mercury I'd concede that point. [snort.gif]
"Do you want to sell sugar water for the rest of your life, or do you want to come with me and change the world?" - Steve Jobs, 1983

Mark.Ricca
GCC Member
GCC Member

#32 Post by Mark.Ricca » May 25th, 2011, 7:57 am

Tom.Cole wrote:I do not believe this has been discussed before. Kentucky Fried Chicken has a $5 buffet that includes all the original, crispy, and broiled chicken that one can eat - spicy for some reason is not included. Plus, sides of mustard greens, butter beans, black eyed peas, red beans, mashed potatoes with gravy, corn bread, biscuits and other assorted sides that, although not the greatest of gourmet foods, are still durned decent foods. A not half bad dessert is also included.

The downside - no breasts unless asked for, but for me, this is not a downside. I prefer dark meat, particularly legs. Drinks and tax add another $1.50 or so depending upon one's state and local tax rate. The mashed potatoes and gravy are not that great, actually fairly pedestrian but still edible, but the mustard greens are as good as I have ever had. Butter beans are not half bad either.

If there is a better deal on fast food, I would like to hear opinions as to what it might be.
While I don't consider myself snobby about food, descriptors such as not half bad, pedestrian but still edible, and not that great, hardly get me salivating like Pavlov's dog. I think the better deal on fast food here would be to spend a little more on something better quality in both taste and nutrition.

Besides all you can eat buffets are really eat more than you should eat troughs and conjure up images of this:

ITB
"Bacon would improve the flavor of an angel"
"Outside of a dog a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
"We're a lot like licorice. Not everybody likes licorice, but the people who like licorice, really like licorice."

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

KFC buffet

#33 Post by c fu » May 25th, 2011, 8:35 am

Mark.Ricca wrote:Unlimited KFC for $5.00 is still just KFC.

I can get more than I can eat just as fast at a Vietnamese place near me for under $10.00 and I know that it's wholesome and healthy.
Like what?
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

ITB -Salt Vine Wines

Bob Wood
GCC Member
GCC Member

#34 Post by Bob Wood » May 25th, 2011, 8:36 am

Charlie Fu wrote:

Like what?
3 banh mi or two pho.

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#35 Post by c fu » May 25th, 2011, 9:33 am

Bob Wood wrote:
Charlie Fu wrote:

Like what?
3 banh mi or two pho.
damn two pho for under $10!? shiz be cheap in portland. Pho is low in fat (depending on what meat you get) but man that is a lot a lot of sodium and carbs to intake, on top of that most Pho joints add MSG. My friend's mom (vietnamese) always insisted to us that good pho always has MSG.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

ITB -Salt Vine Wines

Linda Baehr
GCC Member
GCC Member

#36 Post by Linda Baehr » May 25th, 2011, 10:20 am

Charlie Fu wrote:
damn two pho for under $10!? shiz be cheap in portland.
Everything is cheap in Portland. It's amazing what a roll of pennies will buy you. [wow.gif]
ITB..................................but you guys knew that already, right?
Check out my Artwork Album on my Facebook page!
Buy a painting from a starving artist!

PauLeenda2020

Eric LeVine
GCC Member
GCC Member

#37 Post by Eric LeVine » May 25th, 2011, 10:28 am

Linda Baehr wrote:It's amazing what a roll of pennies will buy you. [wow.gif]
Wheat pennies specifically...
-Eric LeVine (ITB)
It rhymes with wine...

Matthew Brown

#38 Post by Matthew Brown » May 25th, 2011, 10:47 am

Got my worst case of food poisoning at a KFC in Florida, making for the roughest day of travel home the next day, so no more for me. Prefer most average local Asian Sunday brunch buffets for anything under $10 anyway.
The Chav who mostly isn't.

Tom.Cole

#39 Post by Tom.Cole » May 25th, 2011, 10:59 am

Mark.Ricca wrote:
Tom.Cole wrote:I do not believe this has been discussed before. Kentucky Fried Chicken has a $5 buffet that includes all the original, crispy, and broiled chicken that one can eat - spicy for some reason is not included. Plus, sides of mustard greens, butter beans, black eyed peas, red beans, mashed potatoes with gravy, corn bread, biscuits and other assorted sides that, although not the greatest of gourmet foods, are still durned decent foods. A not half bad dessert is also included.

While I don't consider myself snobby about food, descriptors such as not half bad, pedestrian but still edible, and not that great, hardly get me salivating like Pavlov's dog. I think the better deal on fast food here would be to spend a little more on something better quality in both taste and nutrition.
My original post was clearly not about the greatest food ever nor the most nutritious food that can be found in the American dining experience. It was about American fast food and what constitutes a good, no a great, QPR meal. Other, better QPR fast food meals can be found throughout the world and you will get no argument from me on this point. I have eaten many of them. What I suggested was that the KFC buffet for $5 represents the best QPR and nutritious meal on the American fast food dining scene. The sides have some serious nutritional value.

So far I have not seen a better suggestion, which was the point of my original post. Can you come up with a better fast food chain QPR value? Once again, I am all ears.

Bill Tex Landreth

#40 Post by Bill Tex Landreth » May 25th, 2011, 11:15 am

Eric LeVine wrote:
At Starbucks....
DB: https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Cankles&amp=true&defid=248846

Glenn L e v i n e
GCC Member
GCC Member

#41 Post by Glenn L e v i n e » May 25th, 2011, 11:20 am

I see dreadfully unhealthy folks each week, as well as the obese and morbidly obese, and I lecture them on behavioral improvements that can be relatively easily accomplished as opposed to say giving up cigarettes.

I tell them to just get fast-food down to one meal/week; just one meal weekly that comes out of a window and the hands of a HS student. These patients look at me like I asking them to tour the Sea of Tranquility.

The Q in QPR stands for quality.
"Never lose sight of the fact that it is just fermented grape juice" - a winemaker and negotiant in Napa Valley, CA

Linda Baehr
GCC Member
GCC Member

#42 Post by Linda Baehr » May 25th, 2011, 11:30 am

Bill Tex Landreth wrote:
Eric LeVine wrote:
At Starbucks....
Peet's. Duh.

neener
ITB..................................but you guys knew that already, right?
Check out my Artwork Album on my Facebook page!
Buy a painting from a starving artist!

PauLeenda2020

Tom.Cole

#43 Post by Tom.Cole » May 25th, 2011, 11:58 am

Glenn, would you recommend that your patients eat more greens (mustard, cabbage, lettuce) and more beans (butter, black eyed peas, red beans)? Throw in broiled chicken without the skin, which is one of the KFC all you can eat options, then what better recommendation could you give them when eating out at fast food chains, including Mexican, Italian, seafood, steakhouses, etc., for <$7/person? Serious question.

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#44 Post by c fu » May 25th, 2011, 12:54 pm

Tom.Cole wrote:Glenn, would you recommend that your patients eat more greens (mustard, cabbage, lettuce) and more beans (butter, black eyed peas, red beans)? Throw in broiled chicken without the skin, which is one of the KFC all you can eat options, then what better recommendation could you give them when eating out at fast food chains, including Mexican, Italian, seafood, steakhouses, etc., for <$7/person? Serious question.
i think the two of us should meet at KFC and eat at the buffet with wine. hehe.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

ITB -Salt Vine Wines

Glenn L e v i n e
GCC Member
GCC Member

#45 Post by Glenn L e v i n e » May 25th, 2011, 1:18 pm

Tom.Cole wrote:Glenn, would you recommend that your patients eat more greens (mustard, cabbage, lettuce) and more beans (butter, black eyed peas, red beans)? Throw in broiled chicken without the skin, which is one of the KFC all you can eat options, then what better recommendation could you give them when eating out at fast food chains, including Mexican, Italian, seafood, steakhouses, etc., for <$7/person? Serious question.
I seriously recommend my patients learn how to prepare meals in their domicile. You would be shocked how the response rarely involves money but instead time - they squeeze dinner in between time off work and whatever TV show they are also addicted to.

There are classes @ the local community college (with an excellent culinary program) I refer folks to.

$7 seems cheap until you dial in the associated, down the line medical expenses.
"Never lose sight of the fact that it is just fermented grape juice" - a winemaker and negotiant in Napa Valley, CA

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

KFC buffet

#46 Post by c fu » May 25th, 2011, 3:00 pm

Not like most Americans are cooking that much healthier at home right?
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

ITB -Salt Vine Wines

JKim
GCC Member
GCC Member

#47 Post by JKim » May 25th, 2011, 3:25 pm

Charlie Fu wrote:Not like most Americans are cooking that much healthier at home right?
When I was single and "cooking" at home, I would alternate between deep frying frozen food (corn dogs, jalepeno poppers, chimichanga, etc), nuking frozen food (burritos, pizza) or grilling steaks, chicken, burgers. Good times...
I miss my deep fryer, first thing my wife got rid of. I used to use the same peanut oil for days, added to the flavor.
Joe

Tom.Cole

#48 Post by Tom.Cole » May 25th, 2011, 3:42 pm

But what do you recommend for those that will not and cannot follow your advice to cook at home? Does this possibility even enter into your doctoring equation? Are you seriously advocating that broiled chicken, various greens, and various beans is a bad choice for nutrition for those that have to, or deem they have to, eat fast food? Is broiled chicken, greens, and beans a bad choice for nutrition? Again, does fast food nutrition for those that deem they must partake of it, for whatever reasons, valid or not, not even enter into your equation? If not, I would posit that you are not recognizing your patients' best interests, however varied they might be. Rather, you are imposing your own belief system on them. Again, recommend a better fast food menu that provides calories, nutrients, phytochemicals, and roughage for <$7.

I recognize that this will not sit well with you, but welcome to the real world. Sorry this post has taken this turn, but I absolutely, totally, and completely disagree that there is one and only one way to live one's life dictated by others who, in their opinion, know so much more than those who have decided the way in which they should live their lives.

I rarely ever eat out as a result of being in school for so long that, realizing I could cook the same food for less than half the price at a restaurant, learned to cook on my own, and I am a pretty darned good cook as others on this board might attest to. I also have an extensive vegetable garden that I eat from each year because I also realized that I can produce fresh produce for much less than the cost at a store. But others, actually most others, cannot live this lifestyle.

Sorry to rip into you, but the arrogance you display is one of my pet peeves against medical doctors. Others in the medical profession would not only agree with this assessment, but have. Others in the profession would disagree. I assume you are one of the latter.

Bob Wood
GCC Member
GCC Member

#49 Post by Bob Wood » May 25th, 2011, 3:54 pm

Wow.

Bill Tex Landreth

#50 Post by Bill Tex Landreth » May 25th, 2011, 3:59 pm

Bob Wood wrote:Wow.
No kidding. Sounds like an advocation of fattening up the livestock right before slaughter.
DB: https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Cankles&amp=true&defid=248846

Return to “Epicurean Exploits - Food and Recipes”