KFC buffet

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
Message
Author
User avatar
Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>
Posts: 39806
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 8:46 am
Location: San Clemente, CA

Re: KFC buffet

#51 Post by Todd F r e n c h » May 25th, 2011, 4:09 pm

Charlie Fu wrote:Not like most Americans are cooking that much healthier at home right?
I don't know too many Americans have those preservatives at home, ready to add to their food. If they buy frozen foods, then perhaps they are similar, but that is not 'cooking at home' - that's reheating.
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

User avatar
Ed Murray
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2926
Joined: February 5th, 2009, 5:47 pm
Location: Sammamish WA

Re: KFC buffet

#52 Post by Ed Murray » May 25th, 2011, 4:14 pm

Glenn L e v i n e wrote:
Tom.Cole wrote:Glenn, would you recommend that your patients eat more greens (mustard, cabbage, lettuce) and more beans (butter, black eyed peas, red beans)? Throw in broiled chicken without the skin, which is one of the KFC all you can eat options, then what better recommendation could you give them when eating out at fast food chains, including Mexican, Italian, seafood, steakhouses, etc., for <$7/person? Serious question.
I seriously recommend my patients learn how to prepare meals in their domicile. You would be shocked how the response rarely involves money but instead time - they squeeze dinner in between time off work and whatever TV show they are also addicted to.

There are classes @ the local community college (with an excellent culinary program) I refer folks to.

$7 seems cheap until you dial in the associated, down the line medical expenses.
Not taking an issue for or against fast food here BUT...

...with some smart shopping you can actually eat REALLY well and REALLY healthy on 7 bucks.
It's not the event, it's the reaction to the event!

Tom.Cole
Posts: 3588
Joined: April 28th, 2010, 7:32 am

Re: KFC buffet

#53 Post by Tom.Cole » May 25th, 2011, 4:22 pm

Bob Wood wrote:Wow.
Care to respond to my post point by point, or is this your typically clever response that fails to address the substantial issues? Here are the facts. A doctor on this board decided to rip one of the best and healthiest fast food meals available to most of the working poor - the facts speak for themselves if one is so inclined to do a comparison of calories and nutrients delivered, but I doubt anyone, particularly you Mr. Wood, is willing to do the homework.

Instead of regaling the best fast food option available to the working poor or providing alternative options, his advice is to not eat fast food and cook more healthy meals at home. Brilliant advice - no question - but what does this have to do with the real world that his patients are subject to?

Attitudes like this become not only tiresome, but meaningless after awhile.

I eagerly await your biting response.

User avatar
JKim
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3372
Joined: February 15th, 2011, 12:18 pm
Location: Orange County

Re: KFC buffet

#54 Post by JKim » May 25th, 2011, 4:23 pm

Tom.Cole wrote:But what do you recommend for those that will not and cannot follow your advice to cook at home? Does this possibility even enter into your doctoring equation? Are you seriously advocating that broiled chicken, various greens, and various beans is a bad choice for nutrition for those that have to, or deem they have to, eat fast food? Is broiled chicken, greens, and beans a bad choice for nutrition? Again, does fast food nutrition for those that deem they must partake of it, for whatever reasons, valid or not, not even enter into your equation? If not, I would posit that you are not recognizing your patients' best interests, however varied they might be. Rather, you are imposing your own belief system on them. Again, recommend a better fast food menu that provides calories, nutrients, phytochemicals, and roughage for <$7.

I recognize that this will not sit well with you, but welcome to the real world. Sorry this post has taken this turn, but I absolutely, totally, and completely disagree that there is one and only one way to live one's life dictated by others who, in their opinion, know so much more than those who have decided the way in which they should live their lives.

I rarely ever eat out as a result of being in school for so long that, realizing I could cook the same food for less than half the price at a restaurant, learned to cook on my own, and I am a pretty darned good cook as others on this board might attest to. I also have an extensive vegetable garden that I eat from each year because I also realized that I can produce fresh produce for much less than the cost at a store. But others, actually most others, cannot live this lifestyle.

Sorry to rip into you, but the arrogance you display is one of my pet peeves against medical doctors. Others in the medical profession would not only agree with this assessment, but have. Others in the profession would disagree. I assume you are one of the latter.
Dude,
You ask for Glenn's advice and then go rip his answer!??? And you continue your rant by calling him arrogant!??? I'm also a doctor and I can give you some advice in what to eat at KFC. Eat this, lots of it, very healthy:
Image
Joe

Tom.Cole
Posts: 3588
Joined: April 28th, 2010, 7:32 am

Re: KFC buffet

#55 Post by Tom.Cole » May 25th, 2011, 4:34 pm

Name a better fast food chain menu that provides the calories, phytochemicals, and roughage that KFC provides for the working poor at their buffet for a better price. If you cannot, end of story. If your advice is to cook at home, no argument. I have been doing it for decades. I also know folks who cannot do this. Given a choice between McDonald's, In and Out, Burger King, etc., KFC buffet is a no brainer. I am absolutely amazed that folks would dispute this, but I guess folks get their dander up regardless of the facts.

User avatar
Bill Tex Landreth
Posts: 22868
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 11:45 am

Re: KFC buffet

#56 Post by Bill Tex Landreth » May 25th, 2011, 4:45 pm

Tom.Cole wrote:Name a better fast food chain menu that provides the calories, phytochemicals, and roughage that KFC provides for the working poor at their buffet for a better price. If you cannot, end of story. If your advice is to cook at home, no argument. I have been doing it for decades. I also know folks who cannot do this. Given a choice between McDonald's, In and Out, Burger King, etc., KFC buffet is a no brainer. I am absolutely amazed that folks would dispute this, but I guess folks get their dander up regardless of the facts.

Do you have any affiliation or financial interest in KFC or Yum! Brands?
DB: https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Cankles&amp=true&defid=248846

User avatar
Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>
Posts: 39806
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 8:46 am
Location: San Clemente, CA

Re: KFC buffet

#57 Post by Todd F r e n c h » May 25th, 2011, 4:46 pm

Tom.Cole wrote:Name a better fast food chain menu that provides the calories, phytochemicals, and roughage that KFC provides for the working poor at their buffet for a better price. If you cannot, end of story. If your advice is to cook at home, no argument. I have been doing it for decades. I also know folks who cannot do this. Given a choice between McDonald's, In and Out, Burger King, etc., KFC buffet is a no brainer. I am absolutely amazed that folks would dispute this, but I guess folks get their dander up regardless of the facts.
How about any sandwich shop (Subway, et al) and ANY footlong loaded with FRESH (not over-boiled) veggies - that's roughly $7.00 or less, and significantly fewer calories, and NON of the trans-fats.
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

Tom.Cole
Posts: 3588
Joined: April 28th, 2010, 7:32 am

Re: KFC buffet

#58 Post by Tom.Cole » May 25th, 2011, 4:46 pm

Is this a serious question?

User avatar
Bob Wood
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 19904
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 9:30 am
Location: Duck and Beaver Land

Re: KFC buffet

#59 Post by Bob Wood » May 25th, 2011, 4:48 pm

Tom.Cole wrote:
Bob Wood wrote:Wow.
Care to respond to my post point by point, or is this your typically clever response that fails to address the substantial issues? Here are the facts. A doctor on this board decided to rip one of the best and healthiest fast food meals available to most of the working poor - the facts speak for themselves if one is so inclined to do a comparison of calories and nutrients delivered, but I doubt anyone, particularly you Mr. Wood, is willing to do the homework.

Instead of regaling the best fast food option available to the working poor or providing alternative options, his advice is to not eat fast food and cook more healthy meals at home. Brilliant advice - no question - but what does this have to do with the real world that his patients are subject to?

Attitudes like this become not only tiresome, but meaningless after awhile.

I eagerly await your biting response.
What Joe Kim said: "You ask for Glenn's advice and then go rip his answer!??? And you continue your rant by calling him arrogant!???"

Beyond that, you're managing to prove you can be unprovokedly and unnecessarily caustic and argumentative no matter the subject, as long as you disagree with someone. And I thought it was just politics.
"Do you want to sell sugar water for the rest of your life, or do you want to come with me and change the world?" - Steve Jobs, 1983

User avatar
Cris Whetstone
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 11022
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 1:09 pm
Location: OC, CA

Re: KFC buffet

#60 Post by Cris Whetstone » May 25th, 2011, 4:50 pm

Tom,

In the real world eating at fast food places is neither nutritious nor healthy. It should never be looked upon that way. You seem to want everyone to agree with your excuses for seeing that way but it just won't happen. You think you've found a deal you can live with. Most people would disagree. I think you are better off just treating yourself to what you want once every couple weeks or month and forget about trying to see it as an acceptable part of your diet. You will feel better about it, eat something you like and not have to feel like you are making excuses to eat it. KFC is not out to make healthy food for people.

As to your abhorrence of those with medical knowledge of the body and how it works...well...that only seems to feed into your fantasy of fast food being healthy. Maybe you should listen to those people instead of approaching them with your own denial and arrogance?
WetRock

"Man prefers to believe what he prefers to be true." - Francis Bacon

"I had taken two finger-bowls of champagne and the scene had changed before my eyes into something significant, elemental, and profound." - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

User avatar
Bill Tex Landreth
Posts: 22868
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 11:45 am

Re: KFC buffet

#61 Post by Bill Tex Landreth » May 25th, 2011, 4:50 pm

It is a serious question, as you openly attack KFC's competition, yet I don't see you picking on Taco Bell or Pizza Hut.
DB: https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Cankles&amp=true&defid=248846

User avatar
Linda Baehr
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 15566
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 1:31 pm
Location: I'm a Napacat

Re: KFC buffet

#62 Post by Linda Baehr » May 25th, 2011, 4:58 pm

I can honestly see Tom's point if people ONLY ate the broiled chicken, veggies, and beans, but honestly, buffets usually promote over eating, and even IF the food is healthy/healthier, that is not good. I would also suspect that people who might frequent this sort of thing would not limit themselves to the healthier options. "Only one piece of fried wouldn't kill me. Just a dab of dessert. Just a small mound of mashed potatoes", etc. Not a good habit.
ITB..................................but you guys knew that already, right?
Check out my Artwork Album on my Facebook page!
Buy a painting from a starving artist!

PauLeenda2020

Tom.Cole
Posts: 3588
Joined: April 28th, 2010, 7:32 am

Re: KFC buffet

#63 Post by Tom.Cole » May 25th, 2011, 4:58 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
Tom.Cole wrote:Name a better fast food chain menu that provides the calories, phytochemicals, and roughage that KFC provides for the working poor at their buffet for a better price. If you cannot, end of story. If your advice is to cook at home, no argument. I have been doing it for decades. I also know folks who cannot do this. Given a choice between McDonald's, In and Out, Burger King, etc., KFC buffet is a no brainer. I am absolutely amazed that folks would dispute this, but I guess folks get their dander up regardless of the facts.
How about any sandwich shop (Subway, et al) and ANY footlong loaded with FRESH (not over-boiled) veggies - that's roughly $7.00 or less, and significantly fewer calories, and NON of the trans-fats.
Finally, someone responded to my original post with some actual insight. Thank you. I do not have a definitve response, but I suspect you have found a better nutritional fast food value, albeit probably not the best QPR value. Probably one reason why fast food alternatives such as these are doing so well. I would like to see a scientific comparison. But, and here is the big but, Subway, et. al. do not provide an all you can eat buffet. Again, for the working poor and even the fabulously wealthy, what is the better value?

I do not know, but at least you have raised a valid issue.
Last edited by Tom.Cole on May 25th, 2011, 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Bob Wood
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 19904
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 9:30 am
Location: Duck and Beaver Land

Re: KFC buffet

#64 Post by Bob Wood » May 25th, 2011, 4:59 pm

Linda Baehr wrote:I can honestly see Tom's point if people ONLY ate the broiled chicken, veggies, and beans, but honestly, buffets usually promote over eating, and even IF the food is healthy/healthier, that is not good. I would also suspect that people who might frequent this sort of thing would not limit themselves to the healthier options. "Only one piece of fried wouldn't kill me. Just a dab of dessert. Just a small mound of mashed potatoes", etc. Not a good habit.
Just one more wafer-thin mint.

Image
"Do you want to sell sugar water for the rest of your life, or do you want to come with me and change the world?" - Steve Jobs, 1983

User avatar
Cris Whetstone
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 11022
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 1:09 pm
Location: OC, CA

Re: KFC buffet

#65 Post by Cris Whetstone » May 25th, 2011, 5:01 pm

Tom,

If all you can eat is a main part of your value identification then why does the health aspect of it enter this at all!? If you are eating all you can eat then it really doesn't matter much WHAT you eat.
WetRock

"Man prefers to believe what he prefers to be true." - Francis Bacon

"I had taken two finger-bowls of champagne and the scene had changed before my eyes into something significant, elemental, and profound." - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

User avatar
Eric Ifune
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3653
Joined: June 19th, 2009, 7:43 pm

Re: KFC buffet

#66 Post by Eric Ifune » May 25th, 2011, 5:02 pm

My friend's mom (vietnamese) always insisted to us that good pho always has MSG.
Dude, as an Asian guy you don't know this! I add it to everything I cook! [snort.gif]

Tom.Cole
Posts: 3588
Joined: April 28th, 2010, 7:32 am

Re: KFC buffet

#67 Post by Tom.Cole » May 25th, 2011, 5:17 pm

Bob Wood wrote:
Tom.Cole wrote:
Bob Wood wrote:Wow.
Care to respond to my post point by point, or is this your typically clever response that fails to address the substantial issues? Here are the facts. A doctor on this board decided to rip one of the best and healthiest fast food meals available to most of the working poor - the facts speak for themselves if one is so inclined to do a comparison of calories and nutrients delivered, but I doubt anyone, particularly you Mr. Wood, is willing to do the homework.

Instead of regaling the best fast food option available to the working poor or providing alternative options, his advice is to not eat fast food and cook more healthy meals at home. Brilliant advice - no question - but what does this have to do with the real world that his patients are subject to?

Attitudes like this become not only tiresome, but meaningless after awhile.

I eagerly await your biting response.
What Joe Kim said: "You ask for Glenn's advice and then go rip his answer!??? And you continue your rant by calling him arrogant!???"

Beyond that, you're managing to prove you can be unprovokedly and unnecessarily caustic and argumentative no matter the subject, as long as you disagree with someone. And I thought it was just politics.
Your typical unsubstantive response.

User avatar
JKim
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3372
Joined: February 15th, 2011, 12:18 pm
Location: Orange County

Re: KFC buffet

#68 Post by JKim » May 25th, 2011, 5:22 pm

Screw KFC and eating healthy. I'm going to Whetstone's hood next Tuesday and get a thigh and drumstick for 99 cents from Popeye's. I'm gonna bring my own diet coke and the whole meal will be $1.08. Ok, on second thought, I'll also have red beans and rice, can't say no to that. Maybe mash and gravy. Also, I might get a second order of thigh and drumstick. All for under $7...or maybe more.
Last edited by JKim on May 25th, 2011, 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joe

User avatar
Bill Tex Landreth
Posts: 22868
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 11:45 am

Re: KFC buffet

#69 Post by Bill Tex Landreth » May 25th, 2011, 5:25 pm

My original question stands.
DB: https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Cankles&amp=true&defid=248846

User avatar
Mark.Ricca
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3238
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 12:43 pm
Location: Central NJ got central heating and I'm alright...

Re: KFC buffet

#70 Post by Mark.Ricca » May 25th, 2011, 5:30 pm

Tom.Cole wrote:
Bob Wood wrote:Wow.
Care to respond to my post point by point, or is this your typically clever response that fails to address the substantial issues? Here are the facts. A doctor on this board decided to rip one of the best and healthiest fast food meals available to most of the working poor - the facts speak for themselves if one is so inclined to do a comparison of calories and nutrients delivered, but I doubt anyone, particularly you Mr. Wood, is willing to do the homework.
You toss around adjectives like they were facts. How about you doing some homework and backing up your claims with some nutritional analysis? Glenn Levine is a well respected member of this board who does back up his claims. You would do well to follow his example.
ITB
"Bacon would improve the flavor of an angel"
"Outside of a dog a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
"We're a lot like licorice. Not everybody likes licorice, but the people who like licorice, really like licorice."

Tom.Cole
Posts: 3588
Joined: April 28th, 2010, 7:32 am

Re: KFC buffet

#71 Post by Tom.Cole » May 25th, 2011, 5:31 pm

Cris Whetstone wrote:Tom,

If all you can eat is a main part of your value identification then why does the health aspect of it enter this at all!? If you are eating all you can eat then it really doesn't matter much WHAT you eat.
Actually, it does. One can only eat so much. Eating nutrient dense as opposed to nutrient poor foods is extremely important. On this board, one is constantly regaled with the superiority of burgers, fries,etc with no comments as to their nutritional aspects - just their taste.

If I am correct, my post is the onlly one in the fast food posts that has actually dealt with the nutritional value of the food. I am probably mistaken, but I have never noticed nutritional aspects brought into play in previous fast food posts. I maintain that KFC is one of the best fast food restaurants that actually takes into account some very nutritious side dishes. Once more, who can name a fast food chain with better nutritional side dishes?

I have no interest in KFC other than I consider the $5 buffet the best deal in fast food ever.

User avatar
Matt Shaffer
Posts: 2411
Joined: July 19th, 2009, 7:11 am

Re: KFC buffet

#72 Post by Matt Shaffer » May 25th, 2011, 5:31 pm

Tom.Cole wrote:Name a better fast food chain menu that provides the calories, phytochemicals, and roughage that KFC provides for the working poor at their buffet for a better price. If you cannot, end of story. If your advice is to cook at home, no argument. I have been doing it for decades. I also know folks who cannot do this. Given a choice between McDonald's, In and Out, Burger King, etc., KFC buffet is a no brainer. I am absolutely amazed that folks would dispute this, but I guess folks get their dander up regardless of the facts.
Chipotle. And one can easily overdo it there, too. But, I think they have the best value, taste, and nutrition of the fast foods.

Tom.Cole
Posts: 3588
Joined: April 28th, 2010, 7:32 am

Re: KFC buffet

#73 Post by Tom.Cole » May 25th, 2011, 5:35 pm

Bob Wood wrote:
Linda Baehr wrote:I can honestly see Tom's point if people ONLY ate the broiled chicken, veggies, and beans, but honestly, buffets usually promote over eating, and even IF the food is healthy/healthier, that is not good. I would also suspect that people who might frequent this sort of thing would not limit themselves to the healthier options. "Only one piece of fried wouldn't kill me. Just a dab of dessert. Just a small mound of mashed potatoes", etc. Not a good habit.
Just one more wafer-thin mint.

Image
I see you continue to take lessons from Francis S's posts.

User avatar
Mark.Ricca
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3238
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 12:43 pm
Location: Central NJ got central heating and I'm alright...

Re: KFC buffet

#74 Post by Mark.Ricca » May 25th, 2011, 5:41 pm

Tom.Cole wrote:
Cris Whetstone wrote:Tom,

If all you can eat is a main part of your value identification then why does the health aspect of it enter this at all!? If you are eating all you can eat then it really doesn't matter much WHAT you eat.
Actually, it does. One can only eat so much. Eating nutrient dense as opposed to nutrient poor foods is extremely important. On this board, one is constantly regaled with the superiority of burgers, fries,etc with no comments as to their nutritional aspects - just their taste.

If I am correct, my post is the onlly one in the fast food posts that has actually dealt with the nutritional value of the food. I am probably mistaken, but I have never noticed nutritional aspects brought into play in previous fast food posts. I maintain that KFC is one of the best fast food restaurants that actually takes into account some very nutritious side dishes. Once more, who can name a fast food chain with better nutritional side dishes?

I have no interest in KFC other than I consider the $5 buffet the best deal in fast food ever.
And you're doing it all without factual substantiation......How 'bout that?!!
ITB
"Bacon would improve the flavor of an angel"
"Outside of a dog a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
"We're a lot like licorice. Not everybody likes licorice, but the people who like licorice, really like licorice."

User avatar
Cris Whetstone
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 11022
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 1:09 pm
Location: OC, CA

Re: KFC buffet

#75 Post by Cris Whetstone » May 25th, 2011, 5:43 pm

Tom.Cole wrote:
Cris Whetstone wrote:Tom,

If all you can eat is a main part of your value identification then why does the health aspect of it enter this at all!? If you are eating all you can eat then it really doesn't matter much WHAT you eat.
Actually, it does. One can only eat so much. Eating nutrient dense as opposed to nutrient poor foods is extremely important. On this board, one is constantly regaled with the superiority of burgers, fries,etc with no comments as to their nutritional aspects - just their taste.

If I am correct, my post is the onlly one in the fast food posts that has actually dealt with the nutritional value of the food. I am probably mistaken, but I have never noticed nutritional aspects brought into play in previous fast food posts. I maintain that KFC is one of the best fast food restaurants that actually takes into account some very nutritious side dishes. Once more, who can name a fast food chain with better nutritional side dishes?

I have no interest in KFC other than I consider the $5 buffet the best deal in fast food ever.
Actually, it doesn't. If you are getting all of your maximum allowable calories for a whole day in one sitting simply because you can, then you are doing great damage to your system. The nutrients you need can be had from a very small amount of food. There is zero reason to seek out all you can eat specials to feed yourself nutritiously.

Besides that, I would call whatever KFC might put on a buffet marginally healthful at best. If you were stuffing yourself with fresh, organic, raw fruits and veggies then you might have a point. The very prepared, preserved and processed options they might have even if you only ate the vegetables would fall far short of that in nutrition and would have the double whammy of some ugly additives. If you eat the chicken, potatoes and whatever else then that is all out the window. I don't care if they give it away for free. In fact I'd bet the local soup kitchen has an at least as nutritious meal everyday.
WetRock

"Man prefers to believe what he prefers to be true." - Francis Bacon

"I had taken two finger-bowls of champagne and the scene had changed before my eyes into something significant, elemental, and profound." - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

User avatar
Bob Wood
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 19904
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 9:30 am
Location: Duck and Beaver Land

Re: KFC buffet

#76 Post by Bob Wood » May 25th, 2011, 5:44 pm

Tom.Cole wrote:Your typical unsubstantive response.
No, Tom, it's quite substantive. It pretty much sums up my feelings. I actually looked for a KFC in my area so I could go partake in this repast and I had no intention of debating the healthiness of the menu. I didn't really care if it was healthy (I still don't) and figured you were entitled to your opinion. Then you decided to act like an *sshole and insult Dr. Levine so, while I was initially shocked by your first response, I'm now appalled and you're only digging your hole deeper - not to mention falling back on your standard schtick of insulting my intelligence.
"Do you want to sell sugar water for the rest of your life, or do you want to come with me and change the world?" - Steve Jobs, 1983

User avatar
c fu
Moderator
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>
Posts: 31506
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 1:26 pm
Location: Pasadena

KFC buffet

#77 Post by c fu » May 25th, 2011, 5:45 pm

Eric Ifune wrote:
My friend's mom (vietnamese) always insisted to us that good pho always has MSG.
Dude, as an Asian guy you don't know this! I add it to everything I cook! [snort.gif]
My fiancee's mom uses msg for everything. I need a gallon of water
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

ITB -Salt Vine Wines

Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/clayfu.wine

User avatar
Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>
Posts: 39806
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 8:46 am
Location: San Clemente, CA

Re: KFC buffet

#78 Post by Todd F r e n c h » May 25th, 2011, 5:45 pm

Tom.Cole wrote:
Cris Whetstone wrote:Tom,

If all you can eat is a main part of your value identification then why does the health aspect of it enter this at all!? If you are eating all you can eat then it really doesn't matter much WHAT you eat.
Actually, it does. One can only eat so much. Eating nutrient dense as opposed to nutrient poor foods is extremely important. On this board, one is constantly regaled with the superiority of burgers, fries,etc with no comments as to their nutritional aspects - just their taste.

If I am correct, my post is the onlly one in the fast food posts that has actually dealt with the nutritional value of the food. I am probably mistaken, but I have never noticed nutritional aspects brought into play in previous fast food posts. I maintain that KFC is one of the best fast food restaurants that actually takes into account some very nutritious side dishes. Once more, who can name a fast food chain with better nutritional side dishes?

I have no interest in KFC other than I consider the $5 buffet the best deal in fast food ever.
Incorrect - I did as well, and more accurately, frankly. The over-cooking of the vegetables at KFC, where they often are steamed more than once, microwaved, or boiled for quite some time, dilutes or eliminates most of their healthful benefits - they become not much more than complex starches and fiber - no nutritional value, only gastrointestinal value.

Fresh vegetables, even just one on a sandwich (other than iceberg lettuce) has more nutritional value than any of the vegetable dishes at KFC - to load a sandwich with them would provide a monumental improvement in nutritional value over a KFC buffet meal. Add the fact that there are no trans-fats, no oils, and you've got quite a significant improvement. I challenge any of us to be hungry after a fully loaded foot long submarine sandwich. I know I can't even finish one.
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

Francis S
Posts: 4237
Joined: February 15th, 2010, 6:41 pm

Re: KFC buffet

#79 Post by Francis S » May 25th, 2011, 5:48 pm

LOL.

[youtube][/youtube]
Fr@nc!s S0res1
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music."
I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'.

D. Walker
Posts: 239
Joined: March 18th, 2009, 6:12 pm

Re: KFC buffet

#80 Post by D. Walker » May 25th, 2011, 5:48 pm

KFC's nutritional guide (these things always fascinate me) (available here: http://www.kfc.com/nutrition/pdf/kfc_nutrition.pdf) says that:

1) A meal consisting of a "grilled" chicken breast, one serving of mashed potatoes and gravy, and one serving of green beans would have a modest calorie count of 350, a very reasonable saturate fat count of 3 g, a respectable 37 g of protein, and a ludicrous 1280 mgs of sodium. Except for the sodium, a decent meal.

2) A meal consisting of one original recipe chicken breast, one serving of mashed potatoes and gravy, one serving of mac and cheese, and one biscuit would have 820 calories, 14.5 g of saturated fat (!), 45 g of protein, and 2860 mgs of sodium.

Those meals are with only 1 piece of chicken each and whatever they are considering one serving each of the sides. Double the size of the sides, or add another piece of chicken, and the numbers get scary. Those sodium numbers are already scary.

Moreover, as to the other "nutrients" being speculated about (e.g., phytochemicals), I suspect that KFC's beans, greens etc have been boiled to death, shot up with way too many preservatives, and are extremely high in sodium, but none of that info is available on the nutritional facts page.
D A N

User avatar
c fu
Moderator
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>
Posts: 31506
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 1:26 pm
Location: Pasadena

KFC buffet

#81 Post by c fu » May 25th, 2011, 5:48 pm

Matt Shaffer wrote:
Tom.Cole wrote:Name a better fast food chain menu that provides the calories, phytochemicals, and roughage that KFC provides for the working poor at their buffet for a better price. If you cannot, end of story. If your advice is to cook at home, no argument. I have been doing it for decades. I also know folks who cannot do this. Given a choice between McDonald's, In and Out, Burger King, etc., KFC buffet is a no brainer. I am absolutely amazed that folks would dispute this, but I guess folks get their dander up regardless of the facts.
Chipotle. And one can easily overdo it there, too. But, I think they have the best value, taste, and nutrition of the fast foods.
Man chipotle is not healthy at all. Unless you just do chicken,salsa and lettuce. I do enjoy it tho
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

ITB -Salt Vine Wines

Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/clayfu.wine

User avatar
c fu
Moderator
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>
Posts: 31506
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 1:26 pm
Location: Pasadena

KFC buffet

#82 Post by c fu » May 25th, 2011, 5:50 pm

D. Walker wrote:KFC's nutritional guide (these things always fascinate me) (available here: http://www.kfc.com/nutrition/pdf/kfc_nutrition.pdf) says that:

1) A meal consisting of a "grilled" chicken breast, one serving of mashed potatoes and gravy, and one serving of green beans would have a modest calorie count of 350, a very reasonable saturate fat count of 3 g, a respectable 37 g of protein, and a ludicrous 1280 mgs of sodium. Except for the sodium, a decent meal.

2) A meal consisting of one original recipe chicken breast, one serving of mashed potatoes and gravy, one serving of mac and cheese, and one biscuit would have 820 calories, 14.5 g of saturated fat (!), 45 g of protein, and 2860 mgs of sodium.

Those meals are with only 1 piece of chicken each and whatever they are considering one serving each of the sides. Double the size of the sides, or add another piece of chicken, and the numbers get scary. Those sodium numbers are already scary.

Moreover, as to the other "nutrients" being speculated about (e.g., phytochemicals), I suspect that KFC's beans, greens etc have been boiled to death, shot up with way too many preservatives, and are extremely high in sodium, but none of that info is available on the nutritional facts page.
Good to know. Now I will not get mashed potatoes, biscuits and Mac and cheese and just get more chicken :D
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

ITB -Salt Vine Wines

Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/clayfu.wine

Tom.Cole
Posts: 3588
Joined: April 28th, 2010, 7:32 am

Re: KFC buffet

#83 Post by Tom.Cole » May 25th, 2011, 5:50 pm

Mark.Ricca wrote:
Tom.Cole wrote:
Bob Wood wrote:Wow.
Care to respond to my post point by point, or is this your typically clever response that fails to address the substantial issues? Here are the facts. A doctor on this board decided to rip one of the best and healthiest fast food meals available to most of the working poor - the facts speak for themselves if one is so inclined to do a comparison of calories and nutrients delivered, but I doubt anyone, particularly you Mr. Wood, is willing to do the homework.
You toss around adjectives like they were facts. How about you doing some homework and backing up your claims with some nutritional analysis? Glenn Levine is a well respected member of this board who does back up his claims. You would do well to follow his example.
I toss around nothing. Dr. Levine provides no evidence as to what constitutes the best nutritional value for fast food. He claims, rightly so, that home cooking provides the best nutritional value bang for the buck. Absolutely no dispute here. Indeed, I said that I have a vegetable garden that I eat from that is far superior to anything I would find in most fast food restaurants.

That said, I am very familiar with folks who do not have access to their own vegetable garden, but rely instead on fast food to provide most of their caloric intake. Again, name a fast food restaurant that offers more nutritional bang for the buck. Mr. French is the only one so far who has offered an alternative, and he may actually be correct. If so, he has provided evidence for only one fast food chain that provides a better nutritional meal than the KFC buffet.
Last edited by Tom.Cole on May 25th, 2011, 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Matt Shaffer
Posts: 2411
Joined: July 19th, 2009, 7:11 am

Re: KFC buffet

#84 Post by Matt Shaffer » May 25th, 2011, 5:52 pm

Todd, most of your post is correct, though technically one could drink the cooking liquid from the vegetables to recover some of the lost ingredients. [snort.gif]

As far as your submarine sandwich goes, I can't see how eating a foot-long loaf of bread, possibly lined with "vegetable" oil mayo will help one's nutritional intake any more than taking down a mound of mashed potatoes with gravy.

User avatar
Matt Shaffer
Posts: 2411
Joined: July 19th, 2009, 7:11 am

Re: KFC buffet

#85 Post by Matt Shaffer » May 25th, 2011, 5:54 pm

Tom.Cole wrote:
Mark.Ricca wrote:
Tom.Cole wrote:
Care to respond to my post point by point, or is this your typically clever response that fails to address the substantial issues? Here are the facts. A doctor on this board decided to rip one of the best and healthiest fast food meals available to most of the working poor - the facts speak for themselves if one is so inclined to do a comparison of calories and nutrients delivered, but I doubt anyone, particularly you Mr. Wood, is willing to do the homework.
You toss around adjectives like they were facts. How about you doing some homework and backing up your claims with some nutritional analysis? Glenn Levine is a well respected member of this board who does back up his claims. You would do well to follow his example.
I toss around nothing. Dr. Levine provides no evidence as to what constitutes the best nutritional value for fast food. He claims, rightly so, that home cooking provides the best nutritional value bang for the buck. Absolutely no dispute here. Indeed, I said that I have a vegetable garden that I eat from that is far superior to anything I would find in most fast food restaurants.

That said, I am very familiar with folks who do not have access to their own vegetable garden, but rely instead on fast food to provide most of their caloric intake. Again, name a fast food restaurant that offers more nutritional bang for the buck. Mr. French is the only one so far who has offered an alternative.
You need to look up a few posts.

User avatar
JKim
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3372
Joined: February 15th, 2011, 12:18 pm
Location: Orange County

Re: KFC buffet

#86 Post by JKim » May 25th, 2011, 5:54 pm

Charlie Fu wrote:
D. Walker wrote:KFC's nutritional guide (these things always fascinate me) (available here: http://www.kfc.com/nutrition/pdf/kfc_nutrition.pdf) says that:

1) A meal consisting of a "grilled" chicken breast, one serving of mashed potatoes and gravy, and one serving of green beans would have a modest calorie count of 350, a very reasonable saturate fat count of 3 g, a respectable 37 g of protein, and a ludicrous 1280 mgs of sodium. Except for the sodium, a decent meal.

2) A meal consisting of one original recipe chicken breast, one serving of mashed potatoes and gravy, one serving of mac and cheese, and one biscuit would have 820 calories, 14.5 g of saturated fat (!), 45 g of protein, and 2860 mgs of sodium.

Those meals are with only 1 piece of chicken each and whatever they are considering one serving each of the sides. Double the size of the sides, or add another piece of chicken, and the numbers get scary. Those sodium numbers are already scary.

Moreover, as to the other "nutrients" being speculated about (e.g., phytochemicals), I suspect that KFC's beans, greens etc have been boiled to death, shot up with way too many preservatives, and are extremely high in sodium, but none of that info is available on the nutritional facts page.
Good to know. Now I will not get mashed potatoes, biscuits and Mac and cheese and just get more chicken :D

I can't eat the chicken without mashed potatoes, Mac n cheese and cole slaw.

William Wallace from Braveheart: "Every man dies, not every man really lives."
Joe

User avatar
Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>
Posts: 39806
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 8:46 am
Location: San Clemente, CA

Re: KFC buffet

#87 Post by Todd F r e n c h » May 25th, 2011, 5:55 pm

Matt Shaffer wrote:Todd, most of your post is correct, though technically one could drink the cooking liquid from the vegetables to recover some of the lost ingredients. [snort.gif]

As far as your submarine sandwich goes, I can't see how eating a foot-long loaf of bread, possibly lined with "vegetable" oil mayo will help one's nutritional intake any more than taking down a mound of mashed potatoes with gravy.
Agreed, but I have no interest in vegetable oil mayo - I'm a mustard or oil/vinegar guy myself. I also don't do subs anymore - not doing bread much lately, as the glycemic index is off the charts, and it tricks insulin levels. Bread is bad, for me. I was just giving a healthier example.
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

User avatar
Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>
Posts: 39806
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 8:46 am
Location: San Clemente, CA

Re: KFC buffet

#88 Post by Todd F r e n c h » May 25th, 2011, 5:55 pm

Tom.Cole wrote:
Mark.Ricca wrote:
Tom.Cole wrote:
Care to respond to my post point by point, or is this your typically clever response that fails to address the substantial issues? Here are the facts. A doctor on this board decided to rip one of the best and healthiest fast food meals available to most of the working poor - the facts speak for themselves if one is so inclined to do a comparison of calories and nutrients delivered, but I doubt anyone, particularly you Mr. Wood, is willing to do the homework.
You toss around adjectives like they were facts. How about you doing some homework and backing up your claims with some nutritional analysis? Glenn Levine is a well respected member of this board who does back up his claims. You would do well to follow his example.
I toss around nothing. Dr. Levine provides no evidence as to what constitutes the best nutritional value for fast food. He claims, rightly so, that home cooking provides the best nutritional value bang for the buck. Absolutely no dispute here. Indeed, I said that I have a vegetable garden that I eat from that is far superior to anything I would find in most fast food restaurants.

That said, I am very familiar with folks who do not have access to their own vegetable garden, but rely instead on fast food to provide most of their caloric intake. Again, name a fast food restaurant that offers more nutritional bang for the buck. Mr. French is the only one so far who has offered an alternative, and he may actually be correct. If so, he has provided evidence for only one fast food chain that provides a better nutritional meal than the KFC buffet.
Oh great, now my dad's here?
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

User avatar
Matt Shaffer
Posts: 2411
Joined: July 19th, 2009, 7:11 am

Re: KFC buffet

#89 Post by Matt Shaffer » May 25th, 2011, 5:58 pm

I'll be first.

Image

Tom.Cole
Posts: 3588
Joined: April 28th, 2010, 7:32 am

Re: KFC buffet

#90 Post by Tom.Cole » May 25th, 2011, 6:09 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote: Oh great, now my dad's here?
[scratch.gif]

User avatar
Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 20103
Joined: July 3rd, 2010, 8:53 am
Location: Podunk CA RRV

Re: KFC buffet

#91 Post by Brian Tuite » May 25th, 2011, 6:25 pm

KFC Nutritional Value

According to the above chart. KFC does not broil chicken. They do offer grilled chicken.
Grilled Breast - Calories = 210, Fat = 8 grams, Sodium = 460mgs, Cholesterol = 105mgs
Cole Slaw - Calories = 180, Fat = 10 grams, Sodium = 150mgs, Cholesterl = 5mgs
Baked Beans - Calories = 210, Fat = 1.5 grams, Sodium = 780mgs, Cholesterol = 0mgs
Green Beans - Calories = 20, Fat = 0 grams, Sodium = 290mgs, Cholesterol = 0mgs
Cornbread Muffin - Calories = 210, 9 grams, Sodium = 240mgs, Cholesterol = 35mgs

830 cals, 28.5 grams fat, 1870 mgs sodium, 145 mgs cholesterol X number of servings eaten, $7

The only greens they list are in the cole slaw and the only beans they list are green or baked. Enough sodium in one serving of the above to equal your daily allowance if you are on a normal diet. People who are obese/overweight/or are on sodium restricted diets would never be able to "healhily" eat at KFC. Besides that you'll see most everyone eating the much higher fat Original Recipe chicken which is real popular in those "Working Poor" households. [basic-smile.gif]

Subway Nutritional Chart
Subway is much lower in fat but almost as high in sodium. I chose their most nutritious foot long as that's how you chose KFC's menu.
Foot Long Oven Roasted Chicken Sandwich - Calories = 640, Fat = 10 grams, Sodium = 1290, Cholesterol = 45mgs - $5
Most people cannot eat a whole footlong sandwich in one sitting unless of course they frequent buffets.

You mention "all you can eat" which means people are not eating 1pc of chicken or one serving of a side. They are gorging themselves which is what people do at buffets. One of the worst I can think of is "Fresh Choice". Great name for a restaurant where everyone dining there is obese. They start you with healthy salad (which is single serving) then pump you up with pasta, pizza, bread, baked potatoes, desserts and all kinds of other unhealthy things that are all you can stuff down your pie hole.

There's nothing healthy about "all you can eat". Nice job of trying to put the public service spin of them taking care of the working poor. Yeah right. Make them fat and unhealthy so they won't move up the food chain and take our jobs. Uh huh. pileon

Funny thread.
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

"Something so subtle only I can detect it." ~ Randy Bowman

2020 WOTY Candidates

- 2018 Once & Future Old Hill Ranch

User avatar
Bob Wood
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 19904
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 9:30 am
Location: Duck and Beaver Land

Re: KFC buffet

#92 Post by Bob Wood » May 25th, 2011, 6:38 pm

Tom.Cole wrote:
Todd F r e n c h wrote: Oh great, now my dad's here?
[scratch.gif]
Image
"Do you want to sell sugar water for the rest of your life, or do you want to come with me and change the world?" - Steve Jobs, 1983

User avatar
Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 20103
Joined: July 3rd, 2010, 8:53 am
Location: Podunk CA RRV

Re: KFC buffet

#93 Post by Brian Tuite » May 25th, 2011, 6:39 pm

Tom.Cole wrote:
Todd F r e n c h wrote: Oh great, now my dad's here?
[scratch.gif]
Look up to the photo Tom, or should I say Eric Levine? [snort.gif]
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

"Something so subtle only I can detect it." ~ Randy Bowman

2020 WOTY Candidates

- 2018 Once & Future Old Hill Ranch

Tom.Cole
Posts: 3588
Joined: April 28th, 2010, 7:32 am

Re: KFC buffet

#94 Post by Tom.Cole » May 25th, 2011, 6:41 pm

D. Walker wrote:KFC's nutritional guide (these things always fascinate me) (available here: http://www.kfc.com/nutrition/pdf/kfc_nutrition.pdf) says that:

1) A meal consisting of a "grilled" chicken breast, one serving of mashed potatoes and gravy, and one serving of green beans would have a modest calorie count of 350, a very reasonable saturate fat count of 3 g, a respectable 37 g of protein, and a ludicrous 1280 mgs of sodium. Except for the sodium, a decent meal.

2) A meal consisting of one original recipe chicken breast, one serving of mashed potatoes and gravy, one serving of mac and cheese, and one biscuit would have 820 calories, 14.5 g of saturated fat (!), 45 g of protein, and 2860 mgs of sodium.

Those meals are with only 1 piece of chicken each and whatever they are considering one serving each of the sides. Double the size of the sides, or add another piece of chicken, and the numbers get scary. Those sodium numbers are already scary.

Moreover, as to the other "nutrients" being speculated about (e.g., phytochemicals), I suspect that KFC's beans, greens etc have been boiled to death, shot up with way too many preservatives, and are extremely high in sodium, but none of that info is available on the nutritional facts page.
Selective choice of the available food nutrition facts. Greens, mustard greens in particular, are, by definition, full of phytochemicals. Otherwise, they would not be green. Their "greenness" is what provides the phytochemicals, just as the "blueness" of blueberries, the "orangeness" of carrots, etc., provides the phytochemicals according to their color. Basic fact.

Beans are not considered to be primary souces of phytochemicals, so I am not sure where your argument for overcooking lies. The health benefits of beans are in the protein and roughage they contain, which cannot be diminshed by long cooking.

Leave out the mashed potatoes, clearly a good choice (they are not that good to begin with, as mentioned previously), and substitute mustard greens, green beans, cole slaw, black eyed peas, red beans,etc., and I would defy anyone to say this is not an incredibly healthy meal compared to the rest of the fast food venues available. If one disagrees, provide some facts to back up your assertions.

You suspect. I suspect otherwise. Provide some facts. Otherwise, who is to say what is right?

User avatar
Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 20103
Joined: July 3rd, 2010, 8:53 am
Location: Podunk CA RRV

Re: KFC buffet

#95 Post by Brian Tuite » May 25th, 2011, 6:41 pm

Bob Wood wrote:
Tom.Cole wrote:
Todd F r e n c h wrote: Oh great, now my dad's here?
[scratch.gif]
Image
Is the answer Bread Box Regis?
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

"Something so subtle only I can detect it." ~ Randy Bowman

2020 WOTY Candidates

- 2018 Once & Future Old Hill Ranch

User avatar
Matt Shaffer
Posts: 2411
Joined: July 19th, 2009, 7:11 am

Re: KFC buffet

#96 Post by Matt Shaffer » May 25th, 2011, 7:00 pm

Actually Tom care to comment on the lectin content of said beans? Maybe not quite a healthy as you presume, though I agree with you completely on the chicken and greens.

Tom.Cole
Posts: 3588
Joined: April 28th, 2010, 7:32 am

Re: KFC buffet

#97 Post by Tom.Cole » May 25th, 2011, 7:02 pm

Brian Tuite wrote:KFC Nutritional Value

According to the above chart. KFC does not broil chicken. They do offer grilled chicken.
Grilled Breast - Calories = 210, Fat = 8 grams, Sodium = 460mgs, Cholesterol = 105mgs
Cole Slaw - Calories = 180, Fat = 10 grams, Sodium = 150mgs, Cholesterl = 5mgs
Baked Beans - Calories = 210, Fat = 1.5 grams, Sodium = 780mgs, Cholesterol = 0mgs
Green Beans - Calories = 20, Fat = 0 grams, Sodium = 290mgs, Cholesterol = 0mgs
Cornbread Muffin - Calories = 210, 9 grams, Sodium = 240mgs, Cholesterol = 35mgs

830 cals, 28.5 grams fat, 1870 mgs sodium, 145 mgs cholesterol X number of servings eaten, $7

The only greens they list are in the cole slaw and the only beans they list are green or baked. Enough sodium in one serving of the above to equal your daily allowance if you are on a normal diet. People who are obese/overweight/or are on sodium restricted diets would never be able to "healhily" eat at KFC. Besides that you'll see most everyone eating the much higher fat Original Recipe chicken which is real popular in those "Working Poor" households. [basic-smile.gif]

Subway Nutritional Chart
Subway is much lower in fat but almost as high in sodium. I chose their most nutritious foot long as that's how you chose KFC's menu.
Foot Long Oven Roasted Chicken Sandwich - Calories = 640, Fat = 10 grams, Sodium = 1290, Cholesterol = 45mgs - $5
Most people cannot eat a whole footlong sandwich in one sitting unless of course they frequent buffets.

You mention "all you can eat" which means people are not eating 1pc of chicken or one serving of a side. They are gorging themselves which is what people do at buffets. One of the worst I can think of is "Fresh Choice". Great name for a restaurant where everyone dining there is obese. They start you with healthy salad (which is single serving) then pump you up with pasta, pizza, bread, baked potatoes, desserts and all kinds of other unhealthy things that are all you can stuff down your pie hole.

There's nothing healthy about "all you can eat". Nice job of trying to put the public service spin of them taking care of the working poor. Yeah right. Make them fat and unhealthy so they won't move up the food chain and take our jobs. Uh huh. pileon

Funny thread.
Selective choice on your part, Include butter beans, black eyed peas, mustard greens, cole slaw, salads, etc. in your nutrional analyses. I assume you think one can actually choose between the available items if one decides to eat healthy at a low cost. Again, what other fast food restaurant offers more of a choice for healthy food alternatives - In and Out, McDonalds, Burger King, Jack in the Box, Taco Bell, Arby's, Church's, Chick Fil A, etc., etc., etc.

Again, Mr. French is the only person posting on this thread who has proferred up an alternative.

I do not want to get into an argument about the working poor. I will say this. I suspect that I have much more experience than most on this board with the working poor, including those that do not have the wherewithal to cook their meals at home. I could be wrong, but I suspect not.

User avatar
JKim
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3372
Joined: February 15th, 2011, 12:18 pm
Location: Orange County

Re: KFC buffet

#98 Post by JKim » May 25th, 2011, 7:04 pm

Bob Wood wrote:
Tom.Cole wrote:
Todd F r e n c h wrote: Oh great, now my dad's here?
[scratch.gif]
Image
[rofl.gif]
Joe

User avatar
Matt Shaffer
Posts: 2411
Joined: July 19th, 2009, 7:11 am

Re: KFC buffet

#99 Post by Matt Shaffer » May 25th, 2011, 7:05 pm

For the third time:

Image

User avatar
Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 20103
Joined: July 3rd, 2010, 8:53 am
Location: Podunk CA RRV

Re: KFC buffet

#100 Post by Brian Tuite » May 25th, 2011, 7:13 pm

Tom.Cole wrote:Selective choice on your part, Include butter beans, black eyed peas, mustard greens, cole slaw, salads, etc. in your nutrional analyses. I assume you think one can actually choose between the available items if one decides to eat healthy at a low cost
I could only provide info that KFC provides. I have never seen bitter greens or black eyed peas at KFC must be a regional thing. they surely dn't list them in their nutritional guide.

Why in the hell do you think poor people cannot cook? Very weak assumption. Lazy people don't cook, but can cook. Anyone can eat much more economically if they prepare their own meals.
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

"Something so subtle only I can detect it." ~ Randy Bowman

2020 WOTY Candidates

- 2018 Once & Future Old Hill Ranch

Post Reply

Return to “Epicurean Exploits - Food and Recipes”