Interesting beer

The beer manager cough geek cough opened this Dutch brew for fun today:

Brouwerij de Molen 2008 Hel & Verdoemenis Bot # 73 of 570 (750ml cork and cage)
Brewed with Premiat hops for bitterness and finished off with Hallertau, the aromas alone were enough to get me crazy. The color was a cloudy dark brown, like adding ~just~ too much Quik mix to make your chocolate milk. Tasted of mocha-infused malt with a bang of hoppy bitterness on the finish. A little hot on the backside, but overall a very interesting and tasty beer. The brewery claims it will age upwards of 25 years and I have no reason to doubt them given this beer’s structure.

Thanks for the note. Tell Dan those MA beers he picked out for me were great! Still working through them.

Sounds great.

Working through a Peroni now - believe it or not, my first ever. Good, crisp, refreshing stuff - a nice alternative to Stella and the lousy Light beers.

Peter, what’s the alc on that puppy?

I love Alligashes cage top, cant think of the name…

I had recently had a beer that from your note I think was similar…it was this

http://www.dogfish.com/brews-spirits/the-brews/year-round-brews/palo-santo-marron.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

made in Palo Santo tanks!!

I just had this as well as another(can’t remember the name, though it was a Porter) from this brewery. Intense stuff!

Thread drift!

Yes, the Dogfish is aged in Palo Santo Marron wood that imparts some of the mocha flavors. However, this Dutch beer reminded me more of Avery Brewing’s 14th Anniversary. This was a dark ale which was dry hopped for an extended period. Totally sick. As an aside, Avery will be Eric LeVine’s favorite brewery once he watches the third slideshow in their gallery: http://www.averybrewing.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :wink:

The de Molen’s alcohol level was higher by taste, but not listed on the bottle, so I’m guessing 15%.

I found the Dogfish to be pretty malty as well. I really tend to like dark beers, but it was not to my taste.