Cleaver use?

So I’m now the owner of a Shun Kaji set with a cleaver. It is a scary, but beatiful beast. But I’ve never really done any cooking where I said to myself “man I wish I had a cleaver”. So I have this $400 tool, and have no idea.

Do people use these often? I’ve heard the recommendations to get a $30 “heavy” cleaver in Chinatown somewhere. It hacks up ducks, chickens, etc. This Kaji is wicked sharp, but ligher than I would imagine for a cleaver.

Comments/advice/etc appreciated.

Every time I split a chicken I wish for a cleaver, but other than that I don’t feel the need to have one. I have a cheap Cuisinart 8" chef’s knife instead. I’m not ruining a Wusthof just to have a split fowl.

I have a Wusthof cleaver that Kristi got me five or six years ago. Maybe used it a half dozen times.

Our cook uses it all the time. I, personally, use it to hack ducks and very large lobsters with thick shells. They work great. I prefer mine with good heft, no straining at all, the knife does all the work. I have no idea what brand it is, but as long as it’s sharpened regularly, I’ve never had any problems. I’ve seen many real Chinese chefs use ordinary cleavers like chef’s knives and for pretty much everything. Amazing skills. It’s the archer, not the arrow.

No better tool than the cleaver to get into a hard shelled lobster!!!

I picked this little beauty up about six months ago. At that time it was on sale for $9.99. It took a little getting used to, and it is carbon steel, but I use it like a knife for just about everything. It’s great for veg prep because it’s literally chop and scoop. It takes an edge quickly and keeps it.

Martin Yan. Genius.

I use mine as a Champagne sabre… Works on the first whack every time. [berserker.gif]

Good for popping open young coconuts too… at least until you slip and nearly take off the top of your finger like I did… Now my cleaver is only used for killing home invaders, should the need arise.

champagne saber, coconuts… this sounds like HEAVY cleavers and not this light but wicked sharp instrument sitting in my kitchen.
[imnewhere.gif]

Oh. Cleaver, not cleavage. Oops.

You call THAT a cleaver?

As Bill the Butcher would say, “If ye cain’t use it to remove a calf’s brain or chop up a lamb, it ain’t a cleaver!!!”

That’s a really disturbing avatar.

Here’s a couple of Cleavers…and a Haskell

[rofl.gif]

Better? Maybe still too disturbing? [shrug.gif]

Oh yeah, much better. Nice totem. Still, it looks more like it’s topped with a Guinea pig rather than a gopher. Sort of reminds me of the Boy Scouts.

Never used a big bad boy like that cleaver myself. I use the $30.00 cheap ass cleaver myself. [rofl.gif]

However, next time you’re making Buffalo wines there’s nothing like a cleaver to split the parts apart. :sunglasses: