Brent's Grill Report

Fired up the BGE last night for some beef. Pulled out a Flannery skirt and put it up against an A&P oddity, “Imperial Wagyu.” At $9.99/lb I thought I’d give it a shot. Locally the best skirt steak I’ve found is from Stu Leonard’s and that is the same price. Not really sure if you’re supposed to look for marbling in a skirt steak, but the wagyu was tender.

I used Trader Joe’s hardwood briquettes for the first time last night. Will post a separate charcoal review.

I had a couple of big sweet potatoes that I put in my small cast iron skillet and filled with water. Those took about 45min turning whenever I had the lid open and with 1 water refill. I find that doing potatoes direct, even with foil, usually burns and dries them out. This method worked pretty well.

Did the wagyu first with some S&P. The meat was tender enough and though I would repeat with this I would next time try it against another supermarket cut to see what happens.

The Flannery came out of the freezer and whenever I have one that’s defrosted I like a little marinade on it. I just did a quick douse of worcestershire and some S&P. I don’t use oil on my skirts because I think they’re fatty enough. I always forget what a difference prime dry aged makes until you taste it again! The Flannery was so much more tender and buttery, with a nice meaty flavor. Served with some sauteed mushrooms & onions finished in cream sherry and a 2007 Alain Graillot St. Joseph.

Oh, forgot I did some maple bacon at the end as the fire was going down. Indirect heat using the plate setter, on a cookie sheet with a drip screen.

Brent,

Sounds great! I’ve got to break my Flannerys cherry sometime this summer.

Stew Leonards has some great beef, I usually buy the whole filet and have the butcher prepare it for me. It’s some damn tasty steak!

Can you order online or only by phone?

I spoke with him earlier this week, so it is possible to get him

Definitely call, especially for your first order. I tried to place my last order with one of the helpful ladies, not wanting to ‘bother’ Brian. I ended up talking with him anyway, and even though I’ve only placed a couple of orders, he was almost upset that I didn’t ask to speak with him directly and wanted to make sure that I had his cell #.

What an amazing guy.

Todd’s Halibut got me thinking yesterday so I went to Mount Kisco seafood this afternoon for a nice, fat, center cut halibut steak. Doing a garlic/dill beurre blanc sauce.

Paired with a Domaine de Lancyre Roussanne 2007. This is a $15 Languedoc wine that is imported by Dan Kravitz. Picked it up with a bottle of the 08 Rose at the Parsippany, NJ Bottle King when visiting my dad last week. TN to follow.

To maximize the fire, I have some Flannery hangars on deck, marinated in sesame oil, soy, ginger, garlic, and rice wine. I’ll cook those tonight and use as bring to work meals the next couple of days.

Bringing Flannery hangars to work…

BALLA!

Doing a butterflied lamb leg on the BGE tonight with garlic, lemon, rosemary, sp & evoo. Decided to try making some poppers to go along. Got my jalapenos, jack cheese and sausage to stuff.

I get a little excema in the humid summer weather. Lots of little cuts on my fingers. Of course I used them to clean out the peppers. Now my fingers are burning! [help.gif]